2018 Heifer Discount?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Buyers still like yearlings here, but they are picky with calves. Good 5 wt. heifer calves are discounted about 24 cents, and scrubs are discounted as much as 45 cents. What are you seeing?

here they don't like anything under 5wts, heifers aren't discounted too bad, about $.15 in USD.. they like the high 5wts and 6 wts

Nesikep":ku7brmd2 said:
here they don't like anything under 5wts, heifers aren't discounted too bad, about $.15 in USD.. they like the high 5wts and 6 wts
Here .12 to .15

Here it seems to be at least 20 cents and as much as 40 cents. The lighter calves is where the biggest difference is. If I were buying light calves to over winter and run as stockers next summer they would definitely be heifers.

Dave":3nc5g5h2 said:
Here it seems to be at least 20 cents and as much as 40 cents. The lighter calves is where the biggest difference is. If I were buying light calves to over winter and run as stockers next summer they would definitely be heifers.

What do you think is driving this?

Stocker Steve":14z19e1o said:
Dave":14z19e1o said:

I have no idea. I was at the sale a week ago. The guy sitting beside me commented on the spread in steer/heifer price. Neither of us know why but it was certainly there.

Dave":3hhzaobs said:
Stocker Steve":3hhzaobs said:
Dave":3hhzaobs said:

I have no idea. I was at the sale a week ago. The guy sitting beside me commented on the spread in steer/heifer price. Neither of us know why but it was certainly there.
Because they can.

Out here I got 215- 220 cnd for 5- 7wt steers and 180-190cnd for 5-7wt heifers. Price was about the same no matter the weight! My highest priced steers where 750 pounds at 220. Next year I'm creep feeding everything. Avarage price difference between steers and heifers was about 250 dollars!!! We need gender reassignment surgery for heifers!
:lol2: :hide:

Nesikep":3leruv0n said:

Interesting you would say that when 4 wt. steers are $240 and up and haven't shown the drop All other classes of cattle are showing the last 2 weeks.

I bought 106 heifer calves yesterday to send to the feedlot.
They weighed 490 and cost $189.18 through the ring.

Spoke with an auctioneer today and got the standard half full story - - quality is selling well.
I steered him back to the heifer discount topic, but he keep repeating the half full story.
I think this situation is another case of farm n ranch optimism going down, and thus the buyers are more selective.

Hard to know when the Commies will talking tariffs. :frowns: They don't have to win a real election.

Latest posts