2018 Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
Our calving season started off early this year with a cow that must have slipped on some ice and aborted her calf. Calf didn't make it but we grafted a little Holstein from a friends dairy onto her and she took it with no problems at all.

Yesterday that cows Heifer from two years ago gave birth to her first calf. Beautiful little heifer born without issues and took to the calf quicker than any heifer I've ever seen. Usually they stand around and sniff the calf for a minute before they start licking but she was up and licking the calf in seconds. Calf stood up and 25 minutes old and nurses at around 40 minutes old..

So that's our start... First two calves of the year and expecting more anytime now... Have about 21 more to go..

Glad she took the grafted calf. New calf is looking good. Always nice when mama and calf don't waste time cleaning up and nursing after they're born. Hopefully the rest of the calves will come like that for you.

A.J.":s9gvuspq said:
Glad she took the grafted calf. New calf is looking good. Always nice when mama and calf don't waste time cleaning up and nursing after they're born. Hopefully the rest of the calves will come like that for you.

Thank you! It sure is a blessing to have good cattle.

Had another calf last night... Big bull calf... Cow didn't have any problems and the calf was trying to stand at 8 minutes old. He has nursed and is doing great... Will have to get better pics tonight...

My bull calf from last Saturday morning out of a heifer needed a little help at delivery. My neighbor vet stopped by and showed me the ropes. As soon as he was out, the vet pulled the calf about 20 feet away from the heifer and left him. She then proceeds to walk over to the heifer who is laying down and starts kneeing her to get her to her feet, telling her she had a job to do. That heifer looked at her like WTH I just gave birth! She ended up standing up and went over and took to the calf like a pro - mooing her excitement to everyone who'd listen. It was pretty cool to watch.

Well it has been a busy season so haven't been able to post much but we are just waiting on two cows... We were due to start on April 1st and we were half done when the 1st came around... Haven't lost any yet and they are all looking good...

73_A70184-8767-4_F9_D-9930-_E3_F9_D2564705.jpg

I'll have to get on the computer tomorrow and upload some pics... Here is the only one I have on my phone..

A few pics... The camera makes these calves look so small lol... What do yall think?

DSC_1348.jpg

DSC_1265.jpg

DSC_1333.jpg

DSC_1320.jpg

lithuanian farmer":75teepqs said:
Some nice looking calves! Love the variety of colours too!
What way is bred #13 calf? He catches my eye the most.

He is out of a Tarebtaise cow and SimAngus bull. He is pretty heavy muscled... One of our favorites. And he is growin like crazy.

lithuanian farmer":1obrnzp3 said:
He sure looks nice! Will be interesting to see him after a couple months.

I'll make sure to post updated pictures of him in a month or two!