2011 weaning weights

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I just finished up separating and weighing for weaning. I didn't think I could top last years weights but boy was I wrong :shock: I had 1 calf out of the 6 to 6.5 month old group weigh under 600 lbs. She is out of a Balancer x Jersey 1st calf heifer. She weighed 554 lbs. The biggest calf weighed 746 lbs. The shocker is that it is a heifer calf. I posted her pics on here before. The last time I weighed her at 4 months she weighed 540ish and I though she would push 800 at the rate she was going but I think the abnormally hot weather slowed her down. I'll take 746 any day though :D Out of some 20 odd calves that I am weaning right now I only had 4 bulls. I am impressed with the weights of the heifers being 600 and up. Most were in the low 6's but I ain't complaining one bit. All of the A.I. calves out of Atlas 101N REALLY performed with weights from 654 to the 746. The best performing cow is little miss #61 with a bull calf at 667. She is smaller framed and weighed 1,050 when I ran her across the scales. I think I will keep that little girl around awhile. Most of my cows weigh 1,100 to 1,400 pounds so they all performed fairly well. We shall see how the feeder calf buyers like this batch. I may hold onto the big heifer and sell her private treaty.

TennesseeTuxedo":3h3ywrtf said:
Glad to hear it Hoss.

That big heifer is for sale Tux........you are not that far from me. I'll name her Tuxie and hold her for ya :mrgreen:

you got some great weaning weights there hoss.that heifer sure turned it on.i bet she will make a big cow.

Wow, good to hear!, I'm quite happy with my gelbvieh x shorthorns, my best steer is 650 at 5 1/2 month, I have a gelbveih x (hereford x saler) form a 15 year old cow, she is 540 at 4 months, and most all of them are built nicely (in my eyes at least, which means they look appetizing).

HOSS":1xf66plk said:
I just finished up separating and weighing for weaning. I didn't think I could top last years weights but boy was I wrong :shock: I had 1 calf out of the 6 to 6.5 month old group weigh under 600 lbs. She is out of a Balancer x Jersey 1st calf heifer. She weighed 554 lbs. The biggest calf weighed 746 lbs. The shocker is that it is a heifer calf. I posted her pics on here before. The last time I weighed her at 4 months she weighed 540ish and I though she would push 800 at the rate she was going but I think the abnormally hot weather slowed her down. I'll take 746 any day though :D Out of some 20 odd calves that I am weaning right now I only had 4 bulls. I am impressed with the weights of the heifers being 600 and up. Most were in the low 6's but I ain't complaining one bit. All of the A.I. calves out of Atlas 101N REALLY performed with weights from 654 to the 746. The best performing cow is little miss #61 with a bull calf at 667. She is smaller framed and weighed 1,050 when I ran her across the scales. I think I will keep that little girl around awhile. Most of my cows weigh 1,100 to 1,400 pounds so they all performed fairly well. We shall see how the feeder calf buyers like this batch. I may hold onto the big heifer and sell her private treaty.

Just curious if you creep feed or not?

Where do you sell your feeders?

tom4018":2pdjo9p7 said:
HOSS":2pdjo9p7 said:

Tom,

I don't creep feed at all. Just momma and grass. I do have a feed trough in a lot for feeding out my personal slaughter steers or a breeding bull but nothing for calves. I don't own a creep feeder as I could never get the $'s to work out on paper with what premium fed calves bring. I am not big enough to really get the bulk discounts on feed. I decided I have to take the genetics approach. It has taken a few years of trial and error but the formula is coming together.

I will sell in 2 places depending on how they are selling and if the timing works out. I sell in Unionville, TN and McMinnville, TN. McMinnville has a monthly feeder calf sale that does pretty well but it is only 1 day each month. Unionville has a weekly sale.

Good for you Hoss. Glad your program is working so well. I think you will really rock with that new GV bull we talked about using. I have a 1/2 sister to that nice red bull I posted that will top my weaning weights but she won't make 757 with the grass I had em on for 2 months. She might make 675 though and that's OK for a purebred. I wish you were closer I might do some Balancer heifer swappin with you.

Tell you what I'll do I'll meet you at Double V's in Missouri and we will have a big ole GV swap meet.

HOSS":3iiubn38 said:
tom4018":3iiubn38 said:
HOSS":3iiubn38 said:

Tom,

I don't creep feed at all. Just momma and grass. I do have a feed trough in a lot for feeding out my personal slaughter steers or a breeding bull but nothing for calves. I don't own a creep feeder as I could never get the $'s to work out on paper with what premium fed calves bring. I am not big enough to really get the bulk discounts on feed. I decided I have to take the genetics approach. It has taken a few years of trial and error but the formula is coming together.

I will sell in 2 places depending on how they are selling and if the timing works out. I sell in Unionville, TN and McMinnville, TN. McMinnville has a monthly feeder calf sale that does pretty well but it is only 1 day each month. Unionville has a weekly sale.

I din't think you did creep feed but wanted to be sure. The weanings weights are real impressive. Has it been a good pasture year in East TN.? Been really dry here and and hurt the pasture, think some of my calves have not done as well. We have started being more selective in the last few years trying to build our herd to what we think is perfoming best, just a slow process.

Tom, we got lucky and had adequate rain all summer. My pastures held up well which really helped. My newer pastures have matured to the point where the roots are deep enough to withstand the dry spells better than last year.

good job look like they grew out nice, just wondering how many cows per acre. thats great weights for grass fed and milk. i guess those gelbvieh's do bring some to the table back with angus, looks like a winning combo

double v":1lcikn9p said:
good job look like they grew out nice, just wondering how many cows per acre. thats great weights for grass fed and milk. i guess those gelbvieh's do bring some to the table back with angus, looks like a winning combo

V, I am running 1 cow and calf pair per 3 acres on a good mix of fescue, red and white clover and orchard grass. In addition they also have several acres of select cut hardwoods full of leafy brush that they like. I have maximized rotation this year as well since I added some cross fencing.

3way, bring that red bull and I'll swap that heifer for him :) I'll throw in 3 free kittens and a home grown watermelon as boot:) We can meet at double v's and he can supply the bbq and beer as a gift to us just cause we are famous.......I mean infamous:)

Hoss, if you can get that deal BBQ is on me. Thanks for the info i've been doing 1 cow per 2 acres.

HOSS":2wzvy3yx said:
double v":2wzvy3yx said:

V, I am running 1 cow and calf pair per 3 acres on a good mix of fescue, red and white clover and orchard grass. In addition they also have several acres of select cut hardwoods full of leafy brush that they like. I have maximized rotation this year as well since I added some cross fencing.

3way, bring that red bull and I'll swap that heifer for him :) I'll throw in 3 free kittens and a home grown watermelon as boot:) We can meet at double v's and he can supply the bbq and beer as a gift to us just cause we are famous.......I mean infamous:)
I will give it some thought. If I KNEW he would thrive on the fescue I would probably take you up on that offer. You might have to throw in an extra kitten or two though. :lol2: :lol2:

3way, I figure if you put a halter and a lead rope on him and start leading him down the grass median of the interstate he will be well adjusted to fescue and the altitude by the time you get to double v's. Both of you should be in good muscle shape after that long walk :) I'll trailer the heifer to double v's and you can walk her back to your place to get her adjusted. I figure she will be ready to breed by that time :)

HOSS":38edx3av said:
3way, I figure if you put a halter and a lead rope on him and start leading him down the grass median of the interstate he will be well adjusted to fescue and the altitude by the time you get to double v's. Both of you should be in good muscle shape after that long walk :) I'll trailer the heifer to double v's and you can walk her back to your place to get her adjusted. I figure she will be ready to breed by that time :)

She will be a 5yr old cow by the time we get home! :cowboy:

Here is a pic of the heavy heifer. A little pinched up front but good hindquarter.

IMG00293-20110910-1634.jpg

Latest posts