2008 Show Heifer Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

HFSimmOH

Reaction score
We started breeding simmentals a while ago and we are improving things every year.
These are the heifers that we took to the State Fair this year and we did very well.
I wanted to know if you all have any opinions on these girls.

OSFCountry1.jpg

February Heifer Calf
OSFShadow1.jpg

January Heifer Calf
OSFToshia1.jpg

February Yearling :|

TNMasterBeefProducer":2usrdiqn said:
eeeeeeeeeeeek reds I dislike reds. The black un is okay.

Try and look past the hide colour and rate the three heifers for me please. I just want to know who is your first, second and third pick.

I would put them @ 2-1-3

Number 2 needs about 30 hours in a neck sweat and you need to take off the hair on the top of the neck.... that would make er more femenine

My screen must have been screwy when I wrote my last post.

I'd place them 3,2,1, in reverse order of the pictures.

KNERSIE":2s1ukz5y said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":2s1ukz5y said:
eeeeeeeeeeeek reds I dislike reds. The black un is okay.

Try and look past the hide colour and rate the three heifers for me please. I just want to know who is your first, second and third pick.

1-3-2, that would be how I would rank them.

I think that these are a very interesting set of heifers. I have things that I like and dislike about each one.

1 - still awfully young and green - just needs time and corn ; a little wasty through the dewlap ; seems kind of pinched through the heart girth ; tailset too high for me ; from picture, front toes appeared slightly toed out ; overall a very smooth calf with adequate length and depth through the flank that displays a lot of potential.

2 - probably the most powerful of the three ; lots of muscling and spring of rib ; good strong top ; rough through the front end ; I'm concerned about her semi-bullish appearance through her neck especially when she's this young - could just be that her head is a tad high in this picture ; appears to have a lot of natural width ; maybe a bit fine boned ; Overall I really like this heifer and think she has a bright future ahead of her

3 - another very nice heifer ; great bone ; nice natural width ; good depth ; but wants to roach up over her loin and be a bit coarse through her front end ; also just doesn't have the length of body that I would like to see in a heifer of her age.

For these reasons I place these simmi heifers 2 - 1 - 3

Thank you all for your comments.

Heifer 1 is out of Ankonian Red Ceaser and was 1st in her class at the state fair, she is green but I don't like fat heifers and if you get them to fat to soon you will ruin them, after all they need to be cows after their show career.

Heifer 2 is an embryo out of Dream On and Joy's Shadow (full sister to L-123), she was 4th in her class because she is short for her age and I knew that but I do not lie about ages. She is growing well and becoming much more feminine, she'll be a force later on.

Heifer 3 is a Powerline daughter, she also was first in her class and the state fair. She is due to calve in January and she is a tank, and very stout, maybe not as feminine as I would like but we have breed her to Bring It On, and he should help with that. We try everything we can to not let them get fat.

As far as neck sweats I beleive that they have there place but on a young heifer I like a little neck(not a lot) because it means that they will grow.

HFSimmOH":ffp4kdv9 said:

Heifer 1 is out of Ankonian Red Ceaser and was 1st in her class at the state fair, she is green but I don't like fat heifers and if you get them to fat to soon you will ruin them, after all they need to be cows after their show career.

Heifer 2 is an embryo out of Dream On and Joy's Shadow (full sister to L-123), she was 4th in her class because she is short for her age and I knew that but I do not lie about ages. She is growing well and becoming much more feminine, she'll be a force later on.

Heifer 3 is a Powerline daughter, she also was first in her class and the state fair. She is due to calve in January and she is a tank, and very stout, maybe not as feminine as I would like but we have breed her to Bring It On, and he should help with that. We try everything we can to not let them get fat.

As far as neck sweats I beleive that they have there place but on a young heifer I like a little neck(not a lot) because it means that they will grow.

I thought the Jan calf looked like a Dream On. Dreamie, our Dream On heifer, looks like yours. She had red heifer calf. She started out small and is growing really good.

HFSimmOH":lopcxgol said:

Glad to see I'm not crazy, I liked #3 too, but didn't like her topline as well as #1. #1 looked very well balanced and that is why I chose her.