2 week old hereford losing hair on back

Help Support CattleToday:

JebidiahJones

Reaction score
We have a 2 week old miniature hereford. At first I thought my horse nipped his back, but the spot is getting bigger. The hair is totally gone. Skin is very red. Momma cow licks the spot, so it looks all wet. The skin looks normal, no raised or flaky areas. Any idea what's going on here? This is my first time to have cows or even a calf. He is eating well, nursing, eating hay , grass. Seems spunky. No other noticeable signs of trouble. Started out the size of your palm, now its the size of your hand.

Lice, Ringworm? Try a search of the posts on these and see if anything sounds familiar.

This is not likely ring worm. Calf has an irritation for whatever reason. Cow has taken to licking it. It will get worse because of the licking. Cow may even like the taste. I have seen this before.

Suggest shaving area around irritation - cover with gauze and ahesive tape. Pour some cayenne pepper on the tape to keep mom off. You will have to do this at least three or four times as mom will probably worry it off the calf's back initially.

Give a broad spectrum shot - LA will work.

Or, separate and put together for short time each day to suck.

It is a bit of a pain, but it works.

Final option do nothing and hope.

Be advised as the irritation gets larger, the flies will move in and make it worse.

Bez

could lice be causing this. Tonight, the 2 cows were rubbing their heads on branches. And the calf was rubbing his face on the ground. There is no hair loss on my cows.

Lice:

While it might be possible, it would be unusual for this time of year. Lice are usually a cool weather problem.

As for animals rubbing their heads on a tree - if you were itchy, and had no hands you would do the same. At least 20 of my animals were doing this today at one time or another in one of my pastures - bug bites make them itchy.

No matter what the cause, you have to treat the problem at hand - that is raw skin that will soon be licked away. Seen it before.

Like I usually say in these situations:

On line diagnosis is not really the best way to decide what to do. The best way is to call your vet in for a look see. In fact it does not hurt for the veterinarian to visit your herd once a year for a total check up. Money sometimes well spent - but in my opinion never wasted.

Regards,

Bez

Previous posts have provided you with good advice. I'd call the vet.
Let us know how this turns out. Take a pic and post it for us to see.

Bez":yycbeq04 said:
This is not likely ring worm. Calf has an irritation for whatever reason. Cow has taken to licking it. It will get worse because of the licking. Cow may even like the taste. I have seen this before.

Suggest shaving area around irritation - cover with gauze and ahesive tape. Pour some cayenne pepper on the tape to keep mom off. You will have to do this at least three or four times as mom will probably worry it off the calf's back initially.

Give a broad spectrum shot - LA will work.

Or, separate and put together for short time each day to suck.

It is a bit of a pain, but it works.

Final option do nothing and hope.

Be advised as the irritation gets larger, the flies will move in and make it worse.

Bez

Very good advice. Put a thin layer of vaselene on the tape and the pepper will stick better. Dont cover the whole bandage with it as it needs to breath.

I've had 3 calves to do that in the last year. I have not been able to find the reason. The vet say's, " no lice, no mange, no ring worm." I thought the first one had lost hair off his hind legs from scours. That wasn't it because he started loosing it under his neck. I have one now that has lost a lot of hair. He has not had scours, hasn't been medicated so it's not a reaction to anything. All I know is that the hair comes back and there is no long term damage to the calves. I sure would like to know what it is though. Vicky, what do you think?

Before I went to extreme of shaving the spot, covering with gauze & adhesive tape (will come off rather easily), I'd call the Vet out or take calf to the Vet. In our experience, any minor problem is best left exposed to air to promote healing (along with any topical antiseptic and/or mild insecticide, etc., to hold down fly problem).

Another benign treatment would be to use a spray bottle and fine-spray some betadine or scarlet oil on the wound site. Regardless of problem, want to keep fies off and try to hold down an infection.

If it is bugs, mites, or other "predators" they need to be identified and the proper insecticide sprayed for the target creature.

Don't just assume it is a biological infection vs. a fungus, insect, bug, etc. Treat for the target "animal".

All that would work fine RABill. But you are forgetting that this is a calf that is still nursing. Which means that mamma will lick off anything you put on it. Hence keeping the wound irritated, and sucessible to flies. I think the best bet would be to seperate the pair. And only let the calf with the cow to nurse . Then she won't be licking away all the good you are trying to do. JMO

Could it be fly-strike? Its caused by blowfly maggots and is best treated with Dectomax. I had a few calves that had it a few years ago. Its about the right time of the year and they usually lay the eggs on newborn calves.

If their calf has the same thing mine has there are no open sores or breaks in the skin. The hair just comes out in large patches. There may be reddening on the skin but no breaks. The worst problem was sunburn. I had to put him in the barn to protect him until the hair started to come back in. After that they are fine.

Bez":557f1jiq said:
Lice:

While it might be possible, it would be unusual for this time of year. Lice are usually a cool weather problem.

As for animals rubbing their heads on a tree - if you were itchy, and had no hands you would do the same. At least 20 of my animals were doing this today at one time or another in one of my pastures - bug bites make them itchy.

No matter what the cause, you have to treat the problem at hand - that is raw skin that will soon be licked away. Seen it before.

Like I usually say in these situations:

On line diagnosis is not really the best way to decide what to do. The best way is to call your vet in for a look see. In fact it does not hurt for the veterinarian to visit your herd once a year for a total check up. Money sometimes well spent - but in my opinion never wasted.

Regards,

Bez

In Oklahoma it is now in the nineties during the day. In Texas, I would guess that it is at least as hot.

The first thing that comes to my mind is Hypotrichosis. This is a known genetic defect that can produce hairless calves. I just don't remember if they are born hairless or whether they gradually lose their hair.

JebidiahJones":11peixcy said:
We have a 2 week old miniature hereford. At first I thought my horse nipped his back, but the spot is getting bigger. The hair is totally gone. Skin is very red. Momma cow licks the spot, so it looks all wet. The skin looks normal, no raised or flaky areas. Any idea what's going on here? This is my first time to have cows or even a calf. He is eating well, nursing, eating hay , grass. Seems spunky. No other noticeable signs of trouble. Started out the size of your palm, now its the size of your hand.
"Started out the size of your palm, now its the size of your hand"???
Thats not much bigger is it?? Think about it people!! A lot of these little things are not a crisis...everthing doesnt require a vet or any attention. Most of this stuff gets better without you!! This sounds to me like a cows tongue at work...happens all the time..the more she licks it the more hair the calf will lose. Cows have been taking care of their babies for years without us meddling..we cant alwasy improve on nature

lol.. that's probably true tapeworm, but think about this. On a miniature Hereford, a palm or hand size patch is a big area!

TheBullLady":24pss5og said:
lol.. that's probably true tapeworm, but think about this. On a miniature Hereford, a palm or hand size patch is a big area!
LOL bullLady your sure right about that..guess I need to start thinking smaller. Thank you for pointing that out. LOL

Latest posts