2 week old calf loosing her hair, walks funny.

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren":t5s2wqeo said:
just curious, what meds are in the calf starter, that the guy said not to give the goats?

because all my goats get calf pellets, medicated with a coccidiostat ... and they do brilliantly

Bovatec Not sure of spelling. I have shots for the goats. Said it killed a horse so don't feed to goat. Not sure I like what I just googled about it. Doesn't look like the goats would die tho.

I just went out and double checked. The calf pellets that I use for ALL my goats and have been doing for years ... contains, you guessed it, Bovatec. I like having the coccidiostat in it, I havent had cocci troubles since going to a medicated feed.

Yup, it will kill horses and dogs, but not goats. Goats are ruminants just like cattle.

You might want to look at the protein level of the goat feed, and the price of it, compared to both those things with the calf feed. I feed calf pellets to my goats because they are $20 for a 25kg bag of 20% protein pellets. The goat feed is $32 for a 25kg bag of 12% protein. No brainer, if you ask me.

As long as you arent giving another coccidiostat (you mentioned 'shots' for the goats) then they will be fine to eat the calf pellets with the bovatec in it.

Frustrated!! Had her on the electrolytes and it said not to give her the milk replacer. So I was finished with it and the scours were gone, gave her a bottle of milk replacer before bed and woke up to the scours again! Grr. I called Tractor Supply and that guy said he uses Calf Medic. It is medicated claf milk replacer all in one-but says to give only 2 bottles/day. She has been on it yesterday, and today. Stuffing calf starter in her mouth, tho I saw her with her face in the feed for a couple seconds once this morning. Still giving Probias once per day. Should I give her another bottle of regular milk replacer tonight? I could dilute it. She was getting 3 4-pt bottles there and seems to be very hungry only getting the 2. She drank a little water today. Less than the other day, but something.

What do these scours look like? Whitish scours indicate that it could just be milk scours, which could be possible if you kept her off milk and then put her back on. Another question, what does her nose look like? Is it moist, or is it scabby and dried out? Scabby indicates that she had a high fever, and may still have. If you can, get a temp on her. If she is still eating all of her bottle and wanting more, I would be inclined to just keep an eye on her, maybe give her a dose of electrolytes once a day, in between milk feedings. I don't like to use the electrolytes that tell you to keep a calf off milk, after all, by doing that you are essentially starving the calf as the electrolytes do not have much feed value, they are great for rehydrating and restoring the mineral balance in the calf but not for food. Once I have a calf going well on milk, I like to feed 3, 2 quart, bottles a day. 1 early morning, one mid afternoon and one late evening. If she is tasting her feed, that is about all you can expect at this stage, it takes them a while to get onto it. If she is drinking water, that is great, you can always add electrolytes to the water as added insurance.

randiliana":18k18ldg said:
What do these scours look like? Whitish scours indicate that it could just be milk scours, which could be possible if you kept her off milk and then put her back on.

The scours were yellow and watery, however, they laid on top of the barn floor, not watery enough to be absorbed by the ground. Yesterday I gave her medicated milk rep in am and afternoon then felt so bad for how skinny she is looking that I just gave her regular milk rep at 10 pm. Today, this morning her poo was good and thick and brownish. I gave her the medicated calf replacer in morning, then gave regular milk replacer in afternoon and plan on giving the medicated calf replacer tonight.

Another question, what does her nose look like? Is it moist, or is it scabby and dried out? Scabby indicates that she had a high fever, and may still have.

Nose is sometimes moist, sometimes it is dry (when she's been out laying in the sunny grass all day) but not scabby. Of course, while giving her a bottle, it sweats and gets moist. I saw her eating grass today, but do not know how much or for how long. I also caught her eating feed out of her bucket in the stall when I went in to give her bottle.

If you can, get a temp on her.

Ok, I will get a thermometer today at TS. What is a cow's temp supposed to be?

If she is still eating all of her bottle and wanting more, I would be inclined to just keep an eye on her, maybe give her a dose of electrolytes once a day, in between milk feedings. I don't like to use the electrolytes that tell you to keep a calf off milk, Neither do I, now after all, by doing that you are essentially starving the calf as the electrolytes do not have much feed value, they are great for rehydrating and restoring the mineral balance in the calf but not for food. Once I have a calf going well on milk, I like to feed 3, 2 quart, bottles a day. 1 early morning, one mid afternoon and one late evening. If she is tasting her feed, that is about all you can expect at this stage, it takes them a while to get onto it.

Like a couple or 3 weeks? Or does it depend on the individual?

If she is drinking water, that is great, you can always add electrolytes to the water as added insurance.

I like the idea of adding electrolytes to her water, will do, if needed. I wont be using the electrolytes that say to take them off milk anymore. This medicated milk replacer seems to be good, if her poo is the right color for a calf. Have you ever heard of it before? I am concerned that when I take her off of the medicated mild replacer, she will scour again. What's the chances this is worms? Can I worm her at this age?

Edit to say: I will not give her only electrolytes w/o milk replacer anymore.

knowknews":1sajt78x said:
randiliana":1sajt78x said:
What do these scours look like? Whitish scours indicate that it could just be milk scours, which could be possible if you kept her off milk and then put her back on.

The scours were yellow and watery, however, they laid on top of the barn floor, not watery enough to be absorbed by the ground. Yesterday I gave her medicated milk rep in am and afternoon then felt so bad for how skinny she is looking that I just gave her regular milk rep at 10 pm. Today, this morning her poo was good and thick and brownish. I gave her the medicated calf replacer in morning, then gave regular milk replacer in afternoon and plan on giving the medicated calf replacer tonight.

Another question, what does her nose look like? Is it moist, or is it scabby and dried out? Scabby indicates that she had a high fever, and may still have.

Nose is sometimes moist, sometimes it is dry (when she's been out laying in the sunny grass all day) but not scabby. Of course, while giving her a bottle, it sweats and gets moist. I saw her eating grass today, but do not know how much or for how long. I also caught her eating feed out of her bucket in the stall when I went in to give her bottle.

If you can, get a temp on her.

Ok, I will get a thermometer today at TS. What is a cow's temp supposed to be?

If she is still eating all of her bottle and wanting more, I would be inclined to just keep an eye on her, maybe give her a dose of electrolytes once a day, in between milk feedings. I don't like to use the electrolytes that tell you to keep a calf off milk, Neither do I, now after all, by doing that you are essentially starving the calf as the electrolytes do not have much feed value, they are great for rehydrating and restoring the mineral balance in the calf but not for food. Once I have a calf going well on milk, I like to feed 3, 2 quart, bottles a day. 1 early morning, one mid afternoon and one late evening. If she is tasting her feed, that is about all you can expect at this stage, it takes them a while to get onto it.

Like a couple or 3 weeks? Or does it depend on the individual?

If she is drinking water, that is great, you can always add electrolytes to the water as added insurance.

I like the idea of adding electrolytes to her water, will do, if needed. I wont be using the electrolytes that say to take them off milk anymore. This medicated milk replacer seems to be good, if her poo is the right color for a calf. Have you ever heard of it before? I am concerned that when I take her off of the medicated mild replacer, she will scour again. What's the chances this is worms? Can I worm her at this age?

Edit to say: I will not give her only electrolytes w/o milk replacer anymore.
If your concerned about worms, take a stool specimen to the vet have him check for worms and coccidiosis just for the heck of it.
Cow temp runs around 101-102 young calves closer to 103. Problem is I've never seen a definition of when a calf isn;t young enough to have the slightly higher temp.
You might find this link interesting:
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/IN ... a0102.html

Is she still taking her milk good? Is she hungry between meals? Always feed milk 12 hours apart. What kind of milk are you using? Put a handful of oatmeal in her milk, you'll have to cut the end out of a nipple to get it to go through. In your original post you mentioned bloody mucos in the manure, that's always bad news, it's caused by Rota and Corona Virus stripping the lining of the intestines.

Larry

larryshoat":2t18a079 said:
Is she still taking her milk good? Is she hungry between meals? Always feed milk 12 hours apart. What kind of milk are you using? Put a handful of oatmeal in her milk, you'll have to cut the end out of a nipple to get it to go through. In your original post you mentioned bloody mucos in the manure, that's always bad news, it's caused by Rota and Corona Virus stripping the lining of the intestines.

Larry

OK, is the oatmeal going to just keep her from being hungry, or will it keep her from eating her grain in between?? (not that she eats ALL that much). She was licking my face and arm Sunday. I figure I have to get her a mineral/salt lick since I just got off of work and was sweaty ;-)

I have been feeding her every 6 hours or so during the day, her last bottle is usually at 9 or 10pm. Giving her 3 per day. After seeing her poo today and the way she hobble-ran after me for the bottle this morning, I think she is doing better and is on the road to recovery. Sadly she is losing more hair on her back now. I will keep watch and show you pics, if you want, when she looks better.

Sounds like she is feeling better. As long as she is eating everything you give her and nibbling on her calf feed, things are good. Her legs should start to straighten out soon too, and once all the dead hair has fallen out it will start to grow back. Good luck, sounds like you have won this round, which is something to brag about, cause she sounds like she was pretty sick.

knowknews":32s1dbvi said:
larryshoat":32s1dbvi said:

Larry

OK, is the oatmeal going to just keep her from being hungry, or will it keep her from eating her grain in between?? (not that she eats ALL that much). She was licking my face and arm Sunday. I figure I have to get her a mineral/salt lick since I just got off of work and was sweaty ;-)

The oatmeal is for the calf that won't stop scouring, if she is not still scouring then forget the oatmeal. I would caution against letting her lick me in the face, most of the things that have given her the scours can be tranmitted to humans.

I have been feeding her every 6 hours or so during the day, her last bottle is usually at 9 or 10pm. Giving her 3 per day. After seeing her poo today and the way she hobble-ran after me for the bottle this morning, I think she is doing better and is on the road to recovery. Sadly she is losing more hair on her back now. I will keep watch and show you pics, if you want, when she looks better.

I never have a problem with feeding calves more times in a day, as long as it's spaced evenly, in your case 1 bottle every 8 hours. I would rather see a calf fed twice daily 12 hours apart than 3 times not spaced evenly. The proper order is people first, calves second, all other activities last. All too often I see people change their calf feeding schedule to accomodate a picnic, or the kids ball games, or other work, all to thje detriment of the calf.

Larry

I would caution against letting her lick me in the face, most of the things that have given her the scours can be tranmitted to humans.
LOL, It wasn't very pleasant so didn't continue. I don't let my dog lick my face and certainly wouldn't let a cow. She was under my chest when I was bent over her feed and she got a lick in. Wasn't expecting that. I didn't care about my arm so much, but again it didn't feel all that great either and I had to disappoint her. Thanks for the warning. I just don't let them do it, never tried to figure out why.

All too often I see people change their calf feeding schedule to accomodate a picnic, or the kids ball games, or other work, all to thje detriment of the calf.
Thanks.

Latest posts