2 week old bottle heifer with diarrhea

Help Support CattleToday:

kzieschang

Reaction score
Can .someone pls help me I'm new to cattle and I got a 2 week old jersey heifer last night. On our way home she had diarrhea once.we were told not to feed her that night and to feed her in the morning.this morning I gave her 3/4 of a bottle of suckle then she had a small bit of yellow diarrhea with mostly blood/mucus in it.she has gone to the bathroom a few more times now with no blood but it's still yellow diarrhea..any help will be appreciated as we are new to cattle and are unsure what to do for Her

Read that link up above......bottle calves for newbies. I have never done them, but maybe on of the folks that do will chime in soon for you.

Get some electrolytes from your local feed store or vet.
It's common that the stress from transporting a calf will bring on scours.
We give all purchased calves electrolytes on arrival for their first feeding.
You want to get ahead of it because scours will dehydrate a calf very quickly and replenishing lost fluids is essential.

Better a little hungry then too full. Most milk replacer directions are based on a 100 lb Holstein calf. Her being smaller 3/4 bottle may be adequate. But that is with a minimum of 20% fat 20% protein from milk and milk byproducts, NO SOY. A lot of scours is caused by sanitation, or the lack of it. The bottles have to be really well cleaned between feedings, no left over residues. About every 3-4 feedings we rinsed them with bleach (clorine) water

if it is only two weeks old it should only get a quart divisded between several feedings.if you can get raw milk its best.try you health food store.only feed the amount it says on the bag.overfeeding can kill a bottle baby.if it didnt get colostram get some into it.call the farm they always freeze it for emergencies ff.go to the feed store and ask for somethin for scours and dont let that calf near you herd and dispose of the manure in the garbage rraw milk here is 5 bucks a quart,but that is cheaper than suckle or snowflakwarm it but dont microwave it and dont get it hot as that kills all the good stuffthe scours can be passed to pigs goats and sheep.poultry spread it so careful with the manure

is there anyone out there that takes a natural grass fed aproach that isnt mean ang grumpy that would like to share news and info about growing clean nonfactory style beef im a newby to this site not ranching.i alsow grow duck pigs horses goats and barbados sheep.i like to know what is in my food

accidental breeder":3nfx478q said:
is there anyone out there that takes a natural grass fed aproach that isnt mean ang grumpy that would like to share news and info about growing clean nonfactory style beef im a newby to this site not ranching.i alsow grow duck pigs horses goats and barbados sheep.i like to know what is in my food

Welcome, AB! :welcome:

I am a newby to cattle (well, going on 3 years but trust me, still green as the spring grass). We are not doing the capital-O organic thing, but are trying to go as natural as possible, and are building a small herd of grass-fed Angus. The jury is still (far) out on our little enterprise. I consider myself not overly mean or grumpy, FWIW.

I think you will find that although some folks on here are sometimes mean and/or grumpy, they are generally welcoming and helpful. There is a range of experience and a wealth of knowledge---stick around...

Latest posts