2 hot nails------2 different horses

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Just blowing a little steam. I have two horse that came up lame after having shoes reset. I used to shoe a few horses. I realize how easy it is to quick one. This guy has shod for me for three years now. Never a problem, however I often notice he is a little sloppy. I had three horse done 2 came up lame. I suspicioned a hot nail on both. Pulled the shoes, two wet nails in one, and one in the other. I soaked their feet, and packed them. I took them to vet, for a complete lameness exam. I wanted to rule out everything else. They are my kids rodeo horses. One has came around quit a bit. The other I can tell no improvement in. Season starts middle of next month. I am going to be an unhappy camper, if I can't get theses feet straight by then. I am on a regular 8 week schedule with this guy. I know I NEVER want him to shoe for me again. I sure dread telling him why. He's a good guy, just not that great of a farrier.

I watched a Chris Cox program a while back and they were saying with proper foot care shoes are not necessary unless working in rough rocky ground.
I've wondered bout that for a while and I don't have shoes on mine but he very seldom works
I'd like to hear someone that has tried it

A horse thats not working probably just needs to be trimmed, with a pasture roll on it, they would probably be all right. To me a performance horse needs a shoe. Most rodeo grounds are gravel everywhere but the arena. No foot no horse. People are always quick to point out that Indians rode barefoot horses-----------When it went lame, they ate it, and found another one.

I keep my "go to" horse shod but I trim the rest of them my self and that's good enough to get a days work out of them if I need it. One mare that I ride a couple times a month does great with no shoes ever and I do plenty of rock crawling on her. She's got good hard black feet. I like a barefoot horse on rock because they can hold on a little better and feel their way along a little better.
As far as your farrier, he needs to go and he needs to know why he's gone. If he's worth having it will make him better and if he's not it will either make him cheaper or make him go do something else with his life.

Yea he has to go. I called him last night. I was very nice about it, and he was apologetic. I thought he needed to know. One horse seems 100%, the other is still pretty bad. The barrel and pole horse is the one that has recovered. My son can rope off my horse if need be. We really need another back up horse. I was hoping to wait till they were ready for a scorcher, and let these little push horses be their backup.

I'd take the one that's not getting better to the vet and get some xrays done on that hoof, just to be on the safe side. There was an interesting article on The Horse recently about hot nails and some serious messes that resulted from that.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/13752/ ... 01-30-2013

If you aren't a member you'll have to register (free), but it's worth a read - the mare ended up with a severe infection in the coffin bone and subsequent laminitis.

FWIW, I rode a barefoot-trimmed horse last summer for the first time (one that was trimmed by a "barefoot trimmer") and was actually pretty impressed. I had him (client horse) about a month and rode over a lot of rough terrain, lava rock, etc and his hooves didn't chip. I'm not completely sold on the barefoot fad but I don't complain about the owners' choices now. :p

The on horse seems completely recovered. The other no improvement. I made a paste out of Epsom salt, alum, and icthamol. I packed it, and wrapped it good. I am afraid it's not draining like it should. Maybe that will draw it out.

Now they are both limping again. I'm treating them like they had abcesses, but I see no outward sign. Vet has seen them. He recommends time and bute. Pretty much same diagnosis for every horse they see. Cows get LA 300 and time. I get bill in the mail.

Bigfoot":33gceyqn said:
Now they are both limping again. I'm treating them like they had abcesses, but I see no outward sign. Vet has seen them. He recommends time and bute. Pretty much same diagnosis for every horse they see. Cows get LA 300 and time. I get bill in the mail.
Welcome to Jaded-ville, population at least 2.

Now I wonder if the hot nail is healed, and they are sore from being barefoot. Put em up-------all well. Turn em out--------sore. Maybe a shoe with a pad is the answer.

I took a second look at the shoes and nails that I pulled. The nails are huge. Inexcusably huge.

If it wasn't the kids horses, I wouldn't be worried. They really get along with them.

My horses haven't been shoed in 5 years. Even my daughters barrel horse runs barefoot. Im no horse expert, but I had no idea shoes were that big a deal unless you were in rocky ground or on pavement. Mine hardly ever leave the place though. Most of the folks I know run barefoot around here unless going on a trail ride.

When I was a kid, I could run barefoot on gravel. I was used to it. I've worn shoes so long my feet are tender. I could get them toughened up again, it would take some time. A horse the same way.

Usually it's a summertime warrior that has trouble with shoes. On all summer, off all winter. These horses have always had shoes. Admittedly shoes are not a necessity for many horses. These sometimes get ridden 7 days a week. My way of thinking is that if you are really using a horse, a shoe will save you more problems than it will create.-------------Enter exhibit A my farrier quicks two on the same day, uses a railroad spike for a nail. Creates a problem.

Ok. Here is how obsessed I get. I'm not convinced either horse is going to get better in time to spring rodeo. I ran out Saturday, and bought another barrel and pole horse for my daughter. I found a race for her to enter Sunday, just to test him. She was 3rd in the 1d on barrels, and 4th in poles. I'm going to let my son rope off my horse. I don't know if its my ignorance, or love that knows no boundaries.

Bigfoot":3nl827sw said:
Ok. Here is how obsessed I get. I'm not convinced either horse is going to get better in time to spring rodeo. I ran out Saturday, and bought another barrel and pole horse for my daughter. I found a race for her to enter Sunday, just to test him. She was 3rd in the 1d on barrels, and 4th in poles. I'm going to let my son rope off my horse. I don't know if its my ignorance, or love that knows no boundaries.

If you're like me probably a little of both, :D

There's always room for another one as long as they get used...But that's how it works, there's never enough horsepower when you're busy and the rest of the year you wonder why you have so many horses.

I have calculated many times, it cost me about $100 a month per horse. One horse consumes the resources of about 3 cows, or atleast that's the way it is for me.

I also am a proponent of "If you have a horse your not riding, you have a horse your not needing". We really needed a backup horse. If all 4 of these horses are healthy 3 can head or heel, and all 4 can run barrels and poles. One is a decent calf horse, over works a little though.

I didn't mind buying it really. A true jam up barrel and pole horse is really not good for much of anything else. Sometimes there are exceptions. I would have rather bought a scorcher, but my kids are young yet for poisonous arrow.

I have spent $568 on their hurt horses so far, and I'm not through spending. I'm trying to be positive about it, and hope for a full recovery. The whole situation was very avoidable.

Side note----------I have never seen a hot nail cause this much damage, or take this long to recover, unless they were also abcessing. At the urging of my mother, I packed the nail holes with alum. They have made substantial progress since then. It could be a coincidence. I don't know. She remembered her grandfather doing it. I had never heard of it, or thought of it before.

I took my sons horse off of stall rest earlier in the week. He has not favored that foot at all. I'm going to let him ride him in the arena a little tomorrow. My daughters horse quit limping this morning. I'm gun shy on him. I'll probably put him in the round pen to move around a little on his own tomorrow, and see what happens.

A good farrier is hard to find. Somebody that knew what they were doing, and had the back for it could make a good living in my area.

I just found this thread. So sorry that you had to go through this.
I am fortunate that I have a good farrier. He is expensive, but it is worth having my horse's feet shod correctly. He is located about 50 miles from us, so I haul the horses to him.