2 heifers did not breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmerclark

Reaction score
We saved back 15 heifers, in 2007, turned out a yearling Hereford bull, and its, July, and two of these heifers have not calved, actually , neither one looks like they are even bred,
My question is this: will they never breed, or do you turn the bulls out with them, again this year and hope they will get bred? Or sell them?
We have been raising cattle for 40 plus years and never ever had any cow, or heifer not have a calf,
We are puzzled, as to what or why this happened.
Thanks for any advice from this forum,

Farmerclark said:
My question is this: will they never breed, or do you turn the bulls out with them, again this year
and hope they will get bred? Or sell them?
Eat one and sell the other.

My guess is your record keeping standards are very low.
I arrive at that conclusion based on your apparent satisfaction with any as long as they give you
one calf per year. Would not surprise me that their dam and grandam took 2 - 4 services to conceive
and stacking low fertility combined with 40 years of lack of record keeping finally caught up with
you. Why would you want a calf from an animal that missed a year, hoping for a herd sire from her?

Significantly more info on the heifers would be helpful. Do you have a sound vaccination/nutrition protocol? Any chance they were twins and the other calf was a bull (freemartin)? History of the dams? Have they been checked by your vet (BANGS, pelvic measured, potentially cystic, etc)? Did you see them get serviced by the bull or any mounting activity, including from other cows? It's also possible they aborted.

I would suggest getting them preg checked.

He was being a smartie pants!!! (2017 not 2007)
We, as cattle producers make sure we KNOW are cattle are bred before winter.
What do you think they weighed when the bull was with them. Was nutrition lower last summer? As mentioned, health program, possible free martin (heifer twin to a bull)?? How long was the bull in with them?
Nope, you already wasted 2 years, I would ship them (or eat one as mentioned). Or fatten up & sell both as freezer beef.

my experience on keeping a heifer that doesn't settle the first year is not good. I kept a few through out the years because they were out of some of my favorite cows. when they finally did calf, the calves did not perform well and the cow seemed lazy and gained weight better than the calf. I never had one that I kept for more than two calves. My advise would be to sell and move on. also would suggest you follow advise from previous replies since they seem to contain good advise.

Latest posts