Votes: 2 28.6%
  • fluff legs

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • don't clip legs and leave them alone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Flacowman

Reaction score
I've got two 1/2 and 1/2 char angus steers out of the same bull (angus) and their mamas were twins. One has tremendous bone and long, coarse hair on his legs. He doesn't need leg fluffing but I can't decide whether to clip the hair up to his hock or to do what I can with it at the show. He'll show and sell Feb. 19 and be steaks by the 25th. He weighs about 1300 right now. Sorry I don't have pics but the camera is going crazy.

What you clip and how depends on how the calves are made. the goal in clipping out a leg is to not only make it appear that he has a lot of bone. but also that his leg structure is correct.

Flacowman":2zi6p1wb said:
I've got two 1/2 and 1/2 char angus steers out of the same bull (angus) and their mamas were twins. One has tremendous bone and long, coarse hair on his legs. He doesn't need leg fluffing but I can't decide whether to clip the hair up to his hock or to do what I can with it at the show. He'll show and sell Feb. 19 and be steaks by the 25th. He weighs about 1300 right now. Sorry I don't have pics but the camera is going crazy.

What I would do is fit his legs while you are at home. This way you can kinda play with what you have and decide what looks good. Also, you will be able to knock off all the extra (long) hairs below his hock so there isn't quite as much to do at the show. so my vote is to clip...but build the leg first...then clip.

Avalon":mdg62hsq said:
What you clip and how depends on how the calves are made. the goal in clipping out a leg is to not only make it appear that he has a lot of bone. but also that his leg structure is correct.

How does this fitting job show that the leg structure is correct??? The calf has no hock!!!

http://www.semexusa.com/images/BULL/BEEF/Mojo.jpg

Stupid, stupid trend imo

Keren":w2f3jz4c said:
Avalon":w2f3jz4c said:

How does this fitting job show that the leg structure is correct??? The calf has no hock!!!

http://www.semexusa.com/images/BULL/BEEF/Mojo.jpg

Stupid, stupid trend imo

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Avalon":1cxbjxc2 said:

Not here. Steers and a lot of breeding cattle are fitted like the bull Keren posted. Hopefully it's just a phase and will eventually go away..... :|

Latest posts