2-1 meal ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Incognito8953

Reaction score
I share apsture land with my brother-in-law. I have Angus cattle and he has a beef master mix. Due to dry conditions, we have had to bale "hay" from just anywhere. Some briars mixed in as imagined, however the problem that we are having is that a friend told us to buy 2-1 meal (2 lbs cotton seed 1 pound salt) to help the cattle want to eat the old hay. We are experiencing loose stools, and now runny noses. Cattle still are eating, but I am getting concerns. Unless we spend an astronomical amount to truck in hay, does anyone have any suggestions on what to give them? Thanks

Cotten hauls are pretty good feed I have heard. Dotn really know myself, but it doesnt sound like you have a feed problem unless I am totally missing something.

Your feedind them nutrients with the feed and the hay is just to fill their bellies. Unless their is something toxic mixed in there I cant see it causing a runny nose or diaria. If its just a little loose it may just be the change in feed.

Im curious to hear more enlightened opinions.

What you are doing is giving them a shot of protein to feed their rumens. The cows can get more out of marginal forage if they have protein added to feed the bacteria in their gut. The salt limits their consumption so you can leave it out free choice. Remove any other salt source you have out so they hit the meal.

I use 2:1 meal when necessary like last summer when my pastures were drought burnt and even the hay was poor quality. I brought them up on it slowly though over a few weeks after a neighbor told me he lost two cows from it in 2005. In short, I would say do not provide it free choice to starving or really hungry cattle until after they are used to it. Also make sure they have some type of forage to satisfy the hunger the meal will create or they may just eat more and more meal until the get salt toxicity.

Incognito8953":29pl0pzv said:
I share apsture land with my brother-in-law. I have Angus cattle and he has a beef master mix. Due to dry conditions, we have had to bale "hay" from just anywhere. Some briars mixed in as imagined, however the problem that we are having is that a friend told us to buy 2-1 meal (2 lbs cotton seed 1 pound salt) to help the cattle want to eat the old hay. We are experiencing loose stools, and now runny noses. Cattle still are eating, but I am getting concerns. Unless we spend an astronomical amount to truck in hay, does anyone have any suggestions on what to give them? Thanks
the runny noses and loose stool are kinda confusing. with loose stool i wouldnt want to add more protein till i figured out the reason. could be the hay erritating them course cattles gut is pretty tough. if i were going too throws some protein at em i would get some 24% protein licks.