1st calf of the year coming now! Need help!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your family's calf. I hope that next year about this time your can tell us about the success of Daisey #34's next calf. Hang in there.

New update, first a sincere thank you to all the folks for their kind words. Last night, for me it was lights out, woke up at 7 am which is about an hour and a half of sleep in time for me, my wife is still in bed. Got up to a cold house, started the coffee and made a small fire in the stove. poured my first cup of coffee and went to the front window to check cows and do my usual head count, one missing, to the front porch for a better view. Cow is in the upper corner nursing a new black baldy calf born sometime in the night. I'll go out and check the calf for gender and etc after my morning coffee and it's breakfast.

It's just the proof I needed that life goes on and the sun does always come up to a new day.

Happy Easter all! :tiphat:

Thanks again,
Alan

So glad you had good news this morning after your bad start. I lost triplets last week, but had a fine new Easter calf this afternoon. Happy Easter!

The cow is a registered black angus that is eight years old. I bought her and her calf last May. She had twins born Mon. One dead at birth and the other one died the next day. She never returned to the cows. I was at the hospital every afternoon last week with my mother. My husband does not check them as closely as I do.
Yesterday morning I noticed that she was standing by herself and saw buzzards. She had another dead calf. I have never seen anything like this. I knew she was huge and kept saying she was going to have triplets. I wish she could have saved one, but didn't. She was AI 'd when I bought her and had been with a field bull. She should have calved in February. I knew she was with my bull in June. I do not know what went wrong.
She had a fine three month old
bull calf when I bought the pair. I am very disappointed and puzzled about this.
She had the twins Monday around noon and the third one came Friday night.

Alan":34ans2ku said:
Vic, sometimes my wife can really throw me off. She called a little while ago and asked what I wanted for dinner, she said she will cook it after work. She said she's planning on cooking a Easter ham for us tomorrow also. I asked her what was up, she just said she appreciated how hard I worked to help her "daisy may" ....... my #34. She is sad about the calf, but very happy her cow is resting well. In fact both 34 and I are just kind of laying around taking it easy until sleep comes.
So very sorry to you & your wife for your loss of Daisy May 's calf. The connection with a bottle calf goes deep. I applaud you for all your efforts, & for sharing your story. My hubby groaned when I read your experience to him, feeling your pain. Thankful you, your wife, & Daisy May are recuperating!

Williamsv":3v0fdif9 said:
The cow is a registered black angus that is eight years old. I bought her and her calf last May. She had twins born Mon. One dead at birth and the other one died the next day. She never returned to the cows. I was at the hospital every afternoon last week with my mother. My husband does not check them as closely as I do.
Yesterday morning I noticed that she was standing by herself and saw buzzards. She had another dead calf. I have never seen anything like this. I knew she was huge and kept saying she was going to have triplets. I wish she could have saved one, but didn't. She was AI 'd when I bought her and had been with a field bull. She should have calved in February. I knew she was with my bull in June. I do not know what went wrong.
She had a fine three month old
bull calf when I bought the pair. I am very disappointed and puzzled about this.
She had the twins Monday around noon and the third one came Friday night.
Sorry for your loss.Triplets, I can't even imagine.Also sorry about your mother being in the hospital.Hang in there!

Williamsv thanks for sharing your story. That Is puzzling. Monday to Friday to deliver them all is crazy. So sorry that none of them made it.
I hope your mom is ok. What a week you have had. I am sorry.

Thank you Branguscowgirl, I just cannot figure this out. Mama is better and back in the nursing home. Time for me to go visit her now. Thank you again for your concern.

Latest posts