1st calf of the year coming now! Need help!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I've been watching this cow all afternoon, I knew she was due very soon. She has the standard bag of water hanging now, moving around, laying down, getting up, throwing her head toward her belly!

Okay here's the problem! :shock: She is my wife's bottle baby and my wife is driving me nuts. I keep telling to relax, we can see her fine, she still has a bit to go ...... Please "Daisy May" just drop this calf and then the rest of calving season is mine to worry about. :lol:

Like my 4 year old anticipating and asking when her cousins are getting in town. I give her all kinds of projects and activities to keep her mind busy and distracting her from asking every 5 minutes, "When are they going to be here?" Doubt it would have the same effect on your wife, Alan .. :help:

It's Saturday am. now Alan....... Well.... Tell us what is the rest of the story.. Come on Alan ..... tells us. Bull .. heifer.. all natural..hard pull easy pull ... C section.. Wife leave you ...twins ?? Daisy May OK ??? don't leave us hang like this Alan ...

Just an update to this ongoing nightmare. Been up most of the night on this calf, I'm sure it is dead now. The thing is so big I can't get my arm in much past my wrist to palpate the calf, fairly certain the head is turn back, can't shove it in. I got the cow in the chute and have been working on her for 3 solid hours with no progress. Vet will be here at 12:30 to get the calf out in pieces. Just a shytty way to kick off calving season. :mad:

I guess I jinxed myself with my humor last night.

Cow is doing fine, calf was backwards and about 160lbs, still born. Huge hips on the calf and the cow was very fat due to a mild winter, warm spring a ton of grass for the last 6 weeks. It took a bunch of lube and a calf jack to get it out. Terrible way to start calving season, but time to move on. Did find a good cow vet with skinny arms.

160, wow! and ouch at the same time. Sorry I have to agree with you about jinxing yourself ......

Wow, isn't that almost off-the-charts-big?
Poor cow, poor calf, poor wife. (Poor you too!). Bum deal, so sorry

I guess I jinxed myself with my humor last night.[/quote]
You have the same luck I do.. short story I thought of when I read your post last night ... My daughter's first show heifer had the same name as your wife's heifer.. went though the same thing just wasn't quit as big I think about 120, the poor heifer never did get up . had to put her down after a week or so.. wife still reminds me of that deal.. that was 12 years ago.. I feel sorry for you Alan.. Did the vet leave any thing to give your wife to take the edge off... Sorry maybe out of line with that comment...

Deepsouth":r8o0mho0 said:
Hate to to hear that Alan. How big is the cow?

Cow is a moderate framed cow but is a very fat cow, I'd say a 8.5 to 9 bcs. I'm blaming it on the mild winter and early spring grass but since she is my wife's tame bottle baby I suspect she was getting grained on the sly. I'm just guessing the weight, after 5 hrs of working on the cow I may be wrong. The vet wanted to hang the calf by the hind legs to see if there was any chance of reviving it.....(?) I hung it for her. After a beer and an hour in the recliner it may have been lighter, 140 to 150, still way to big for a fat first time heifer.

Thanks retro, my wife named her, to me she I'd just 34..... unless I'm trying to get her in the alley to go into the chute, then I call her a couple other names.

wow, that's rough... Heaviest I've heard of here was Hillsdown's 160 lb calf, I think he came out OK though.. backward sure didn't help anything for you either.. sorry about the crappy start to the season

Ya I know what ya mean , I sure feel for ya , maybe that was the only bad luck you are to have . so you got it out of the way.. I feel bad for making that 1st post about up dating us :hide: ...12 years with 8 or 10 show heifers each year, I've learned it's never the old bone bag wild cow that something happen too it's ALWAYS the favorite or best one .. Murphy's law I guess.. Good luck to ya Alan .. :tiphat:

Alan":1q8k0lmo said:
Deepsouth":1q8k0lmo said:
Hate to to hear that Alan. How big is the cow?

Cow is a moderate framed cow but is a very fat cow, I'd say a 8.5 to 9 bcs. I'm blaming it on the mild winter and early spring grass but since she is my wife's tame bottle baby I suspect she was getting grained on the sly. I'm just guessing the weight, after 5 hrs of working on the cow I may be wrong. The vet wanted to hang the calf by the hind legs to see if there was any chance of reviving it.....(?) I hung it for her. After a beer and an hour in the recliner it may have been lighter, 140 to 150, still way to big for a fat first time heifer.

Thanks retro, my wife named her, to me she I'd just 34..... unless I'm trying to get her in the alley to go into the chute, then I call her a couple other names.

Sorry for your mess Alan. It had to be awful hard for the wife.

Vic, sometimes my wife can really throw me off. She called a little while ago and asked what I wanted for dinner, she said she will cook it after work. She said she's planning on cooking a Easter ham for us tomorrow also. I asked her what was up, she just said she appreciated how hard I worked to help her "daisy may" ....... my #34. She is sad about the calf, but very happy her cow is resting well. In fact both 34 and I are just kind of laying around taking it easy until sleep comes.

Latest posts