1st Calf of Spring

Help Support CattleToday:

Grandpa

Reaction score
One of the 3 bred cows I bought at sale in late December surprised me yesterday with a new baby. The cow was tested to be 5 months bred so doing the math, I figured mid-April but figured to start watching her April 1st. The place has been in the family since the 1890s and is about 190 acres. About 65 acres of that is very heavy timber with dry creek beds for the cows to hide to have their babies, which is how I lost one cow last year (long story). So this year I decided to contain them within a 45 acre area where they have plenty of room but can't hide. Yesterday, only 9 of my 10 cows came up for cubes, so I got worried. Went out and found this little fella and mama doing just fine. Always interesting to find out what these sale cows were bred to. Mama wouldn't let me get close and started to come after me until I brought her a peace offering of cubes. Anyway, those gates are closed now :)
1stcalf2011.jpg
1stCalf.jpg
Calf_Mama.jpg

One thing is for sure, that cow is NOT homozygous black. She is a red carrier. BTW nice calf!!!!!!!!!

nice looking pair you have there.you can never trust how far along a cow is bred from a sale barn vet.ive seen some he said was 2 months away from calving be springers an calve in a day or 2.

Latest posts