1997 F250

Help Support CattleToday:

shutskytj

Reaction score
1997 F250 XLT-HD Extra Cab
1997 FORD F250 XLT-HD Extra Cab, Powerstroke Diesel, 4 X 4, 8 ft bed, automatic, Run Great. asking

OK here is the deal I can get this truck for 7500.00, Currently I have a F350 gas with a 460 in it 1996 with 86000 I don't know what to do I have to sell the F350 of course. What are some of your opinions. Also my truck is all set for gooseneck towing I would have to put a hitch and everything in this one.

how many miles does the diesel have? i would go with the powerstroke. the 460 probably doesn't pass a fuel station it doesn't like :D

Depends. Mainly on how much you drive it and what it's used for. Maintenance and upkeep is much cheaper on a gas engine. Plus the split front axle on the 250 sucks. If you only drive it on occasion and the mileage of your 460 doesn't bother you, keep it. You already are familiar with the truck and it's personality. Trucks are like women, some are high maintenance and some never gripe once. 8)

cfpinz (ducking)

reasonable price for a comparable truck to the one you have.
maint is higher.
fuel is cheaper(here anyways)
how much money and grief to make it do what you need it to.
itll outrun and outpower and outpull that 460 by yards
dependable power.
97 good yr for a stroker
noisey
easier to upgrade power(if yer like me its never enuff)
id buy it and lose the gasser. i think you de be happy
check with diamond s hes pretty good on the diesel stuff too

dieselbeef":2xkdcik7 said:

Must be flat in Floriday, never been there. We live in the mountains. A 460 will leave a diesel in the dust in those year models. Kind of sad, really.

The newer diesels are nothing more than a hopped up gas engine that happens to run on diesel and rev over 3 grand, they're more impressive to drive empty while the older diesels lack the raw acceleration of the 460.

cfpinz

Whatever a new gooseneck hitch will cost what are they like 300.00 and the cost to put it in plus brake box and wiring maybe another 200-300 for that. I don't use the truck much I drive my car into work and the truck for farm work moving hay pick up silage and going to shows which will be 3 this year.

cfpinz":290gp70y said:
dieselbeef":290gp70y said:

Must be flat in Floriday, never been there. We live in the mountains. A 460 will leave a diesel in the dust in those year models. Kind of sad, really.

The newer diesels are nothing more than a hopped up gas engine that happens to run on diesel and rev over 3 grand, they're more impressive to drive empty while the older diesels lack the raw acceleration of the 460.

cfpinz[/quotwere not talking 80 s here fella. my daily driver has over 500 hp and 750 lbs torque. i commute with it and get 16 mpg ona single wheel 1 ton...it will slaughter and gas truck pullin and 90% of em in a flat out drag race. it will rarely ever rev 3 grand. but youll never catch me even if you can see thru the smoke

dieselbeef":1iotvk5i said:
cfpinz":1iotvk5i said:
dieselbeef":1iotvk5i said:

cfpinz

were not talking 80 s here fella. my daily driver has over 500 hp and 750 lbs torque. i commute with it and get 16 mpg ona single wheel 1 ton...it will slaughter and gas truck pullin and 90% of em in a flat out drag race. it will rarely ever rev 3 grand. but youll never catch me even if you can see thru the smoke

I'm not talking 80s trucks here either. Presently own a 96 and 97 powerstroke (the model that was brought up here) as well as an old 86 6.9. Have owned numerous others in the past as well as 460s, 351s and my personal favorite, the 300. Plus my previous employer had 460s in most every truck. I have a little background here so don't blow smoke up my rear. Care to share how many of each you have owned? You can get a seemingly endless amount of power from these newer diesels if you have deep pockets but you're comparing apples to oranges. Sink that same dough in a big block gasser and then you'll have some hp. If you really want to go fast why not go out and buy an 90something Mustang for $3500? It'll blow the doors off all these "trucks", most of which have never had a trailer hooked to them.

cfpinz

alright...im not gonna be gettin all that goin.
just sayin that those trucks seem to be a decent work truck. always seem tog et the job done for my brother...
me...im a dodge guy but lets not get that started on here!!huh!!! :shock: :lol:

Thanks for all the comments I decided to stay with my truck and let the diesel go don't really have the extra money to set the other one up for towing I think it is a good deal though I wish I seen the diesel first

cfpinz":3onknfb8 said:
dieselbeef":3onknfb8 said:

cfpinz

an old OBS Powerstroke passed me going over Afton last weekend...he must have been running 60-65 MPH loaded down with a JD 4020...I talked to him at the BP in Weyers Cave and he's running the same chip I have, which costs about $375...and he was pulling over the mountain as fast as he wanted to go...for not much money, you can make them trucks run like heck...and my youngest son has a '97 crew cab dually...he put dual HPOP's on it for about $1,100, with that and his tuner, he pulls over mountains better than my 2003 7.3

NamVet_Farmer44":20bjcw6g said:
an old OBS Powerstroke passed me going over Afton last weekend...he must have been running 60-65 MPH loaded down with a JD 4020...

I'm looking out the window at the truck lights on Afton Mtn right now. On interstate it's no problem to fly up the mountain with a good head of steam built up. But I've spent many trips going up 250 from a dead stop at the bottom in 2nd gear. You'd be amazed at the things you notice at 15 mph.

cfpinz

cfpinz":21x5p2o4 said:
You'd be amazed at the things you notice at 15 mph.

cfpinz

Are you talking about the things you notice on the side of the road while puttin' along at 15 mph...or the knockin and thumpin and gears screamin at you while you're trying to get up the hill? :lol:

NamVet_Farmer44":2fve2ucb said:
cfpinz":2fve2ucb said:
You'd be amazed at the things you notice at 15 mph.

cfpinz

Are you talking about the things you notice on the side of the road while puttin' along at 15 mph...or the knockin and thumpin and gears screamin at you while you're trying to get up the hill? :lol:

The former. It's kind of discouraging when a groundhog passes you and flips you off for going so slow.

cfpinz

Latest posts