18 Acres ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkansas

Reaction score
So I went to look as this property today and noticed it had a huge pond on it. Heck is was more like a Lake! It was 9.95 acre Pond. And the Property was 18 Acres total. So My question is does this look like 18 acres to you all ? According to the owner he had 5 Cattle on it and 2 Horses and 3 Calves. Said it sustained them ? I cant see it. I like the property and the Pond is stocked with Bass and catfish and perch. Its in a nice area and close to town. Like actually like 3 mins away from Main Street. There asking 62,500 Said that no flood isurance is required and says where the trailer is that it floods there twice every spring ? That sounds odd to me. No flood isurance but it floods does this mean the Couty Dept should be digging ditches which it doesnt have where the front entrance to trailer is ? And also the guy just above the property line has about 8 cattle on his property. So thats a plus.. Neighbor with cattle and hay :)

3448s1w.png

Don't believe everything the seller tells you. Go to that county's assessor's office; look at their maps. See if their maps equal his maps. Also see if it's appraised as ag ground, or waste ground, or development ground, or "what?" They may also be able to tell you if this is in a flood plain.

If all is right, 9 acres can support what he says it supported, if you can get water to the critter area.

Are you thinking about building there? CAN YOU BUILD THERE? And if so, do you have access to power; what do you have to do to dig a well and put in a septic system?

Kathie in Thorp":2pkddu1m said:
Don't believe everything the seller tells you. Go to that county's assessor's office; look at their maps. See if their maps equal his maps. Also see if it's appraised as ag ground, or waste ground, or development ground, or "what?" They may also be able to tell you if this is in a flood plain.

If all is right, 9 acres can support what he says it supported, if you can get water to the critter area.

Are you thinking about building there? CAN YOU BUILD THERE? And if so, do you have access to power; what do you have to do to dig a well and put in a septic system?

Well thinking about Moving there. It has a 3 bedroom and 2 bathroom Mobile Home/Trailer already on it thats in good condition.. Why wouldnt I be able to build on my own property if its out in the country ? I mean as long as you dont go over height requirements ? The Property already has Power and all that. It was lived in not even 6 months ago, owner moved to another state and is selling.. And as far as water there is a weather hose hooked up to a water hydrant outside the trailer that runs under ground to where the shed is and is feeling up some kind of water container.. As far as water for the property I am assuming in dry times I could use water from pond to water the pastures right ?

Kathie in Thorp":1hu2mcu6 said:
And it's not likely the County would have to be doing anything on your private ground, to make sure your private ground doesn't flood.

I dont know how your county works there. But here my father had 4 acres that he keeps a horse on and it was flooding because of a ditch that was not kept dug out. The county dept here is responsible for making ditchs that run in front of your property by the county road. They also are responsable for making sure they drain to the proper places. Any ditch here that is next to the County Road is considered the countys responsablity. My father made a complaint to the County Judge here and they came out and re-dug the ditch all the way to the drain off at a creek ditch :) Thats the reason I said the ditch comment.

Arkansas":14aog66b said:
Kathie in Thorp":14aog66b said:

Well thinking about Moving there. It has a 3 bedroom and 2 bathroom Mobile Home/Trailer already on it thats in good condition.. Why wouldnt I be able to build on my own property if its out in the country ? I mean as long as you dont go over height requirements ? The Property already has Power and all that. It was lived in not even 6 months ago, owner moved to another state and is selling.. And as far as water there is a weather hose hooked up to a water hydrant outside the trailer that runs under ground to where the shed is and is feeling up some kind of water container.. As far as water for the property I am assuming in dry times I could use water from pond to water the pastures right ?

I wasn't implying that you couldn't build on your property. But, depending on where you're at, there are things you may have to do now, with new construction, that didn't use to have to be done. For instance, if you have a high water table, you might have to put in a raised septic system vs. in-ground. That sort of stuff . . . .

Can't imagine someone with only 18 acres using half of it for a lake. Too much lake and not enough land now unless you want to raise and sell grain fed catfish.

TexasBred":3kld22sf said:
Can't imagine someone with only 18 acres using half of it for a lake. Too much lake and not enough land now unless you want to raise and sell grain fed catfish.

Same thoughts I had. Not much actual land in that pic. No where to expand in the future. lots of wasted/unusable land all the way around the pond. How deep is the pond. Is making it smaller a viable option. Seems like 2-3 acres would be sufficient. Don't know anything about prices in your area. Get comps from a realtor. If it's significantly below market the modifications could be worth the expense for future expansion.
No, don't assume that you can use pond water to irrigate or anything else. The modern environmental approach, especially when it comes to water, is that just because you own, doesn't mean you can use it. And even if you can today, doesn't mean you can tomorrow.

Kathie in Thorp":o6d1jjsg said:
Arkansas":o6d1jjsg said:
Kathie in Thorp":o6d1jjsg said:

I wasn't implying that you couldn't build on your property. But, depending on where you're at, there are things you may have to do now, with new construction, that didn't use to have to be done. For instance, if you have a high water table, you might have to put in a raised septic system vs. in-ground. That sort of stuff . . . .

Ahh, ok I get what you mean now. I am going to go to the assessors office and find out where the exact property lines are. And I looked at the Pond I believe you could drain it down and close it back in with a small levie. I would like to cut that pond in half really. And When I was looking at the porperty thats what I was thinking about. Would be very fertil land under the water too right ? Easy to seed and grow quickly ?

Do you have any idea hiw many truck loads of dirt it would take to fill that in even halfway? 4 acres at 10 ft deep is something like 700 truck loads.
As for building. Here you have to have a permit for even a pole barn unless you have the ag exemption. Septic requires a soil survey to determine perc rates. Craziness. Dont assume you can do what you want on your property without checking with the county permitting dept.

hooknline":1ve01e0t said:
Do you have any idea hiw many truck loads of dirt it would take to fill that in even halfway? 4 acres at 10 ft deep is something like 700 truck loads.
As for building. Here you have to have a permit for even a pole barn unless you have the ag exemption. Septic requires a soil survey to determine perc rates. Craziness. Dont assume you can do what you want on your property without checking with the county permitting dept.

I have never seen my dad ask to build anything on his property and he has built a lean-to and also a Barn. Never did he ask to build it. Seems like around these parts its not a big deal as it is for where you all live. I have never heard of anyone asking to build anything on there property here besides the people who live in city limits then they have height restrictions they have to go by and also ask to even build a small shed. Not saying that we dont just saying I have never heard of anyone asking to build in the country here. I wouldnt ask to build anything anyways in the country its my property and I wouldnt let someone else tell me what I can have on it.. They trespass and they can have a buck shot in there bottom..lol

Good luck with that. The fines stack up pretty quick daily and the county can and will seize your property if the fines get high enough. Each county is different. Peeve off the wrong neighbor and tou get calle in for not pulling a permit where required. But thats ok. Maybe theyll turn tail and run when they see your 12g. Or maybe they bring swat in. Who knows. Just saying to do your homework

hooknline":2hakibkt said:
Good luck with that. The fines stack up pretty quick daily and the county can and will seize your property if the fines get high enough. Each county is different. Peeve off the wrong neighbor and tou get calle in for not pulling a permit where required. But thats ok. Maybe theyll turn tail and run when they see your 12g. Or maybe they bring swat in. Who knows. Just saying to do your homework

Were to small to have SWAT we have PIGS instead..lol j/k Well hopefully I find out I can do more. Found out the Property lines the realtor gave me is not the same as the Asscessors office here's the new layout of where the property lines go !
n5ens.jpg

Cool now i have the street name and gps coords so i can throw my lowball offer in and start a shrimp farm.

Arkansas":3gesh7dc said:
I have never seen my dad ask to build anything on his property and he has built a lean-to and also a Barn. Never did he ask to build it. Seems like around these parts its not a big deal as it is for where you all live. I have never heard of anyone asking to build anything on there property here besides the people who live in city limits then they have height restrictions they have to go by and also ask to even build a small shed. Not saying that we dont just saying I have never heard of anyone asking to build in the country here. I wouldnt ask to build anything anyways in the country its my property and I wouldnt let someone else tell me what I can have on it.. They trespass and they can have a buck shot in there bottom..lol
That may still be true in certain areas but down this way land is often transferred with "deed restrictions" which set parameters for any structures and outbuildings, etc. Minimum size, # of bedrooms and bathrooms, exterior composition and on and one. Just a way to try and keep the community from turning into a slum with crap thrown up anywhere and everywhere and calling it "home sweet home". It ain't all bad.

Check with your county zoning dept, planning office, whoever issues the required permits and they can tell what you can or cannot do. Also, talk to the U.S. Dept Soil Conservation. They CAN be great help with the pond and additional drainage. The configuration of the pond appears to be an old dirt pit which would be hard to drain and kept dry. Most sellers normally point out the good things but not the not so good things. Don't get in a hurry. If there are any old timers in the area ask them about the history of the property. If the pond can be drained dry you could put in a drainpipe and spillway and not have to build a new dam. Soil conservation can answer those questions. Good luck.

lynnmcmahan":33opcdwy said:
Check with your county zoning dept, planning office, whoever issues the required permits and they can tell what you can or cannot do. Also, talk to the U.S. Dept Soil Conservation. They CAN be great help with the pond and additional drainage. The configuration of the pond appears to be an old dirt pit which would be hard to drain and kept dry. Most sellers normally point out the good things but not the not so good things. Don't get in a hurry. If there are any old timers in the area ask them about the history of the property. If the pond can be drained dry you could put in a drainpipe and spillway and not have to build a new dam. Soil conservation can answer those questions. Good luck.
Best advice. Also check with the dept of natural resources. Maybe even the county zoning commision. Different places havre different regs. We can build anythign we want, no building codes for this area. That can be seen by looking at some of the electrical in some houses/barns. Our sewage is done wityh a lagoon, other places need leachfields and aseptic. Depends on the acreage. Also don;t take it for granted that the guy that builds a pond or a building for a living knows what the local codes are. A firned of ours here has a 3 1/2 acre pond that he wanted to change. Found out it was put in by the corp of engineers under some program back many years ago so he can;t do anything with it.

Would you all say this seems to be a pretty good star for having a few cattle. I mean the price has dropped down from 72,500 to 62,500 and its in my range what I am looking for and close enough to the 20 acres I want to start with and has everything on it I need fencing, pond, home, yard, sheds, working facilities and its not far from town ? Usally I been taught that when something sounds to good to be true it usally is. And most place like this go for almost 90,000 or more around here. There proud of there land around here..lol

Latest posts