17 month old heifer delivers healthy calf

Help Support CattleToday:

ny_grass

Reaction score
I've been waiting to write about this because I wasn't sure that I'd correctly identified the animal but it's clear: about 2 weeks ago my oldest heifer, born last year in early February, gave birth to a healthy (albeit SMALL) calf. I didn't think this was possible. Has anyone ever had a 8 month old get pregnant?

JR

Yes, it's possible. Look down the page of topics in beginners forum and see my thread Heifer Bred Too Young.

Vet said he had a guy with 13 month old heifers calve recently. One did it unassisted, the other needed a c-section. Lots of stories like that in the archives here as I've read.

Glad your heifer had a small calf. And if my math is right, she was less than 16 months old if born early Feb last year.

Had 1 calve 5 days short of 13 mos. few yrs. back. Gave birth to a 70 lb. heifer unassisted. Lute all heifers now when being worked in the fall.

Are there are any long term, negative effects to the mama of having a calf so early? I know with goats a too early pregnancy can stunt their growth.

ny_grass":3bzc5low said:
Are there are any long term, negative effects to the mama of having a calf so early? I know with goats a too early pregnancy can stunt their growth.

With the one I had she didn't grow off very well at all. Understandable since she was still a "baby" herself and raising a calf. I sold them both after weaning. Clearly she was very fetrile as was her dam and in my opinion it was my fault that it ever happened.

With that being said, I know of a few other folks who had similar situations where the very young calvers grew off just fine and went on to be good brood cows. In a couple of them (such as mine) that wasn't the case. I think diet/nutriton and genetics play a big role.

Katherine

Well, I'll be damne.d! My youngest heifer, born 4/20/10 just delivered a seemingly healthy calf!! I'd wondered why she, unlike most of the other calves (from last year), was looking a little skinny.

That makes two unexpected calves for the year.

I hired a bull from a very respected seed stock guy around here last year. Very glad I did (the bull was calving-ease)!

JR

ALACOWMAN":2hkfmece said:
id let the calf get a good start, then pull it........ like having a 60 pound parasite stuck to a still developing heifer
I didn't see the birth though I was out there several times today and didn't notice her laboring; seems to have dropped it pretty fast.

ny_grass":30b1ya6j said:
ALACOWMAN":30b1ya6j said:
id let the calf get a good start, then pull it........ like having a 60 pound parasite stuck to a still developing heifer
I didn't see the birth though I was out there several times today and didn't notice her laboring; seems to have dropped it pretty fast.
I think what Alacowman is saying is to let the calf nurse a while then haul it to the sale. The heifer doesnt need to raise a calf ontil weaning.

I had one calve at 13 months and 1 day in 2003. We had to do a c-section on her. I never weighed the calf but it was full term and not real small.

B&M Farms":3ontswxi said:
ny_grass":3ontswxi said:
ALACOWMAN":3ontswxi said:
I think what Alacowman is saying is to let the calf nurse a while then haul it to the sale. The heifer doesnt need to raise a calf ontil weaning.
exactly ..if she looses alot of condition she'll most likely be late rebreeding i wouldnt hesistate to feed her a little extra since it aint her fault

B&M Farms":1s46slkj said:
ny_grass":1s46slkj said:
ALACOWMAN":1s46slkj said:
Oh, thanks for clarifying.

You got lucky. u need to keep the bull away from the heifer calves by the time they are 5-6 months old or some will get bred. some breeds mature early

Usually they are bred by bull calves the same age. To avoid this situation, separate all bull calf pairs and heifer pairs or give them a shot of dexamethasone and prostaglandin at about 10 days after you have separated the group at weening.

Latest posts