15 Bottle Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

GotMyHandsFull

Reaction score
I have a modest cow-calf operation (45 cows). I've been offered 15 Holstein bull calves 2-3 weeks old for $150 a head. I don't mind the work, but would like to hear from others who can ballpark what my costs will be. I have the facilities, but am curious as to how much milk replacement, calf starter and grain 15 bottle calves would go through before they're old enough to turn out for grazing and supplemental protein feeding. I also have plenty of hay. Any advice on bottle calves is welcome.

It has been a while since we did any dairy calves but have done a lot of beef calves. The last few beef calves we usually average about $400 a head in cost, which includes meds, milk, hay grain and commission to sell them. We usually sell at 550 or so. That last dairy calves probably took some more feed but the last ones we did were when feed was cheaper.

I raise my holstien bull calves to about 300-350 lbs. I pay $150 a head at about a week old. My cost per calf is about $250 on milk replacer and $60 on grain. I feed them 6.5 pints of milk twice daily. What are you going to raise them for and how long. If those calves are healthy thats a good price in my opinion.

i do know this depending on the amount of grain they are eating 1 50lb sack of replacer should wean a calf.but that calf has tobe eating 5lbs of grain or more a day.safely figure 1/5 sacks to a calf.

Just looking to introduce another revenue stream for the farm without having to buy brood cows. I would like to get them in, make sure they get their shots, feed them well, castrate (by clamping) at about 2 months old and sell them as feeders at 550-600 pounds.

If all goes well, you may make some money on 'em. I made good $$ raising Holsteins back in the late 1980s.
But...the last time I raised a bunch - back around '95-'96 - I had a terrible time with coronavirus scours and Cryptosporidiosis. Overall death loss between purchase and sale @ 400 lb was close to 50% (and I'm a vet, so I knew how to care for 'em - but you can't save all of them). Market tanked, too, between purchase and sale - got not a lot more for the ones that survived to 400 # than we paid for them as baby calves.

Don't care if I never have another B&W to bottle feed...

Bottle calves have always been easier for us to raise during the winter. Years ago my grandfather and I would buy 50 over the winter, a few each week as the dairy's called.
I like raising holsteins as compared to other dairy breeds. A holstein seems to have a lot of will to survive.
Buy a quality milk replacer and follow the directions. Offer a quality calf starter and get them eating as soon as they can.
Once a holstein is over the hump it will gain about as fast as any breed.

You will have your hands full..............Milk replacer has gotten so expensive, but i guess the higher prices even that out. I had way to many bottle calves this last year. Hope to have none this year.

Yea Holsteins are the way to go .... Jerseys not so much. DO NOT use SOY MILK REPLACER. I also suggest having a good place to keep them out of the weather and with a lil heat if possible. :2cents: I maybe have 100bucks in milk per calf and 50 on calf starter.

Don't know where you are, but if healthy and avg size, those holstein calves are worth 250 to 400 each, here. It will take about 150 worth of milk replacer and grain and hay to get them to weaning age. At a sale a couple of weeks ago, 235 pound holstein steers were bringing over 700 dollars. So, getting them at 150 you are starting out way under what the calves are worth. At 550 lbs they are worth 1,000-1100 dollars, so if you pay 150 and receive 1,050, there will be alot of profit in the 900 dollars above purchase price. If they are sickly or small, 150 is plenty to pay and they will grow slowly and cost more in feed and vet bills and may not be worth the effort required. All depends on the calves

One issue I have a question about is hauling. The calves are about three hours away and I don't want to use an open cattle trailer this time of year because of the temp and the elements. I have access to a horse trailer. The seller says he can provide 15 or so every 60 days, so I'd like to come up with a suitable hauling solution. Any suggestions?

A 2 week old calf should make a 3 hour ride in a open trailer most places, where are you at and how cold is it?

If they are good calves your getting a bargain for 2 week old calves. Good 5 day old holsteins are bringing 250$ and up here.

I use to raise 40 to 60 at a time in 8x16 pens with a 4x8 shed in each one. Your going to have 1 bag of 80$ milk replacer in each one to feed them 60 days and wean, you will also have about 30$ in starter feed to get gem weaned and you should figure 25$ in medicine and vet supplies to get to weaning. I would also figure a death loss of 1 out of 15 so that's another 10$ per head.

You should be able to have some weaned calves ready to turn out and feed for 300$.

Here there are regular route buyers who stop at literally every dairy twice a week to buy bull claves. They are giving $350 for healthy large bull calves. So here $150 for 2-3 week old calves is one heck of a buy.

Started construction on 25 pens yesterday behind the barn. Each pen is 10 x 12 with an elevated 4-foot section at the rear that is covered and walled on three sides. The elevated section sits 8 inches off the ground to keep water out. The pens are adjacent to a working area of the barn that has hot water, refrigeration and two large farm sinks.

GotMyHandsFull":1s2sv3tw said:
Started construction on 25 pens yesterday behind the barn. Each pen is 10 x 12 with an elevated 4-foot section at the rear that is covered and walled on three sides. The elevated section sits 8 inches off the ground to keep water out. The pens are adjacent to a working area of the barn that has hot water, refrigeration and two large farm sinks.
Sounds like you know what your doing, that will work well. How big are you going to let these calves get?

GotMyHandsFull":2av2x0su said:

That sounds like a commitment to me :)

I figure your input to be around $1.50 per day with milk replacer being your biggest cost.

If you can keep them all alive, you will come out nicely. Hopefully you have the time to keep close tabs on them. First month is crucial.

Your doing good by getting all your calves at the same time, alot if people cause themselves problems by picking up a few at a time and cuntinuely bringing in sickness.

denvermartinfarms":1z9lhpwo said:
Your doing good by getting all your calves at the same time, alot if people cause themselves problems by picking up a few at a time and be nice bringing in sickness.

Yes. I get them sporadically. Go to the sale barn looking to acquire 6 or 8 beef splits and only get a couple. Have to go to other sales etc.

I go looking for a number and I get a few or they go to high and I only get a couple. Unfortunately, Sales do not cater to me only so I can get the numbers I want for the price I want to spend. You gotta do what you gotta do. I think a good quarantine and keeping good meds on hand can help curtail some issues not all. I am anxious to see what those spring bottle calves will bring.

Latest posts