1100 lb. steer vs. 1400 lb. bull

Help Support CattleToday:

BC":36lomo79 said:
hillsdown":36lomo79 said:
BTW I never order beef in a restaurant, why would you order something that you can have anytime and that what you have is better than they could ever serve ? ;-)
What does that statement say about the beef industry when a beef producer won't even buy the product? I scold my family when we go out to eat and one of them orders chicken. I tell them it is "fowl" meat.

My husband orders beef all the time and is usually disappointed with the way it has been cut and prepared. It says more about the restaurant industry not the beef industry.
The last time I have steak at restaurant I knew the owner I knew the orderer I new the chef and I knew the company they bought from as I did there PR for them at conventions.. I guarantee they do not order bull, their beef for steaks meets a very strict criteria..

BTW it was delicious and prepared just as I like it rare - medium rare.

Why does anyone go out to eat if they do not have to.. You are better off learning how to prepare all of your favorites dishes yourself, it is more fun and it will taste better because you did all the work.. But that is just me.

I will also add that you can do a bull and have it taste somewhat the same as a steer if it is a virgin and is finished properly and is stress free at the time of finishing and slaughtered..

The reason some of you guys do bulls I bet is because they do not semen test out and rather than sell for balogna prices you would rather sell a steer for high prices instead of eating it and eat the bull yourselves. There is nothing wrong with that it is very practical.

The questions was a bull and a steer. The steer should out perform the bull in quality as far as taste goes, if not then why do we cut or band animals ,the feed lots wouldn't care and you wouldn't get payed more for a steer than a bull.

Chippie my nose and taste buds are very sensitive and I can taste and smell things that some others can't, it is annoying as well as a blessing. Maybe that is why I can can tell a difference when others cannot..

A bottle fed calf tasted delicios when finished and butchered. Ther is no difference between a bb baby and a calf on mom as long as you knopw what you are doing.. ;-)

I tried to do a bull with some steers a few years ago, and he could not keep up with the ration my steers were getting it was a big pita as he would go off feed,, so he hit the road and I got a buck a pound for him, he was a virgin yearling 1100 pounds .1100 pound steers were going for 1.20 at that time..

Eat what you like and I will do the same.. :wave:

jerry27150":2xaua4pr said:
the bull will make more meat. he is all muscle, the steer will have a lot of fat to be trimed

Yes it is obvious the bull will produce more meat just based on the size of the two animals. From what has been said how do you know the steer is fat? The bull could have more fat.

lmp570":17klz4zt said:
msscamp":17klz4zt said:
lmp570":17klz4zt said:
not to change the subject.. but does the meat from a bottle fed steer taste better than a steer raised by its "natural" mother??

God bless

No.

is there any difference in the taste of the two?? id hate to send a bottle fed steer to the butcher when i have steers raised "naturally" that i could take off that may taste better.

I couldn't tell any difference in the taste.

The main reason the US beef industry steers the male calves is for handleing and convenience while raising and feeding. A bull calf and a steer raised and fed the same will be the same. The bull calf may have less trim. A 1400 pound bull will produce more meat then a 1100 pound steer. We don't know how their fed so we can't predict the quality.

mnmtranching":u284cmb1 said:
The main reason the US beef industry steers the male calves is for handleing and convenience while raising and feeding. A bull calf and a steer raised and fed the same will be the same. The bull calf may have less trim. A 1400 pound bull will produce more meat then a 1100 pound steer. We don't know how their fed so we can't predict the quality.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Latest posts