100% Grass Raised

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, I got 3-4 votes for Murray Grey, something I wasn't even considering, so I'll have to really look into this. Don't know of anyone with them in Georgia, but I'll check it out.

Interesting, had a couple of recommendations too for Beefmaster but not too many for Angus, which is what I thought I'd hear, since so many people opt for Angus.

We are all grass fed. Shorthorns and shorthorn crosses do the best on grass. Our dairy steers do good but it takes longer. To finish on grass you need a good rotational grazing program. Be sure to seed enough legumes to keep the nitrogen level up. We move cattle to fresh grass at least twice a week. Every day during peak grass season.

Good luck with your plans.

Hi Shorthornguy,

Agreed re: rotation. Been reading a lot about the Voisin approach and I plan on using portable electric paddocks and rotating anywhere from daily to every 2-3 days. Bringing chickens behind 4 days later to feed and clean up. Part of the longer term pasture improvement project.

Thanks for your input.

lead_dog":1gvi1wv9 said:
Hi Shorthornguy,

Agreed re: rotation. Been reading a lot about the Voisin approach and I plan on using portable electric paddocks and rotating anywhere from daily to every 2-3 days. Bringing chickens behind 4 days later to feed and clean up. Part of the longer term pasture improvement project.

Thanks for your input.
Lead_dog - Have you ever considered leasing out that rotation pasture to GOATS? Not only cash income,. but the Goats will clean up and eat most of the weeds without over-grazing the residual grass. :idea:

DOC HARRIS

Doc, I could do that, or just buy my own goats since they'll be part of the equation, but fencing is inadequate now. I don't want to fence until first of next year, because then I can apply for funding support from Natural Resource Conservation.

lead_dog":1myg2izo said:
Are any of you doing 100% grass raised beef? Born on the pasture, no grain whatsoever? If so, what breed or cross has worked well for you?

Red Poll

Is one of four breeds that the USDA has identified as having tender beef.

Traits: fertility, calving ease, mothering ability, rapid calf gain, forage efficiency gentle disposition, carcass quality, and genetic consistency.

Sounds like a pretty good package to me.

for the grass fed industry i think you need smaller framed early maturing cattle, i would stay strictly english and look pretty hard and heavy at herefords (polled or horned). With that said i don't think any one really has the right answer as far as the breed, i think it will be just like the rest of the cattle industry, a lot of trial and error and what ever works best for you in your area.

Diehard40-

Your basic concepts are understandable, however "straightbreeding" ANY breed is less effective than a well-thoughtout cross-breeding system. That is NOT conjecture or guesswork - that is FACT.

Try this: http://www.leachman.com. If your computer won't get into the link, try going through Google or Dogpile with the web address.

Used as a study guide, this is an education in Profitable Beef Cattle Breeding all unto itself. Of course, one must read and study it, because it doesn't get into your brain by osmosis!

DOC HARRIS

>>because then I can apply for funding support from Natural Resource Conservation.<<

Looking to get on the gov't tit?

What happened to pride? Used to be folks wanted to make it own their own. They would be ashamed to take hand outs, now everybody plays every angle to belly up to the government trough.

Pitiful!!!

nortexsook":1xjf3sf3 said:
>>because then I can apply for funding support from Natural Resource Conservation.<<

What happened to pride? Used to be folks wanted to make it own their own. They would be ashamed to take hand outs, now everybody plays every angle to belly up to the government trough.

Pitiful!!!

Hey, he pays his taxes, he has the right to use government services.

>>Hey, he pays his taxes, he has the right to use government services.<<

Using a road or police protection is a government service. Having the government pay your bills or give you money is WELFARE!!!

Guess that explains how you justify it in your mind. Hey, whatever you gotta do to sleep at night, Buddy!!

nortexsook":339cq9lu said:

Pitiful!!!

Nice to meet you too. Please, spend your money as you see fit. This is an existing funded program that encourages people (like myself) to take land that has been abandonded and abused (by letting cattle erode creeks, etc.) and supports a one time payment to plant native vegation, protect streams, etc.

http://www.ga.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/eqip07.html

I suppose you don't buy any grain or anything for your cattle, since that's highly subsidized by the government. Good luck to you.

>>>Nice to meet you too. Please, spend your money as you see fit. This is an existing funded program that encourages people (like myself) to take land that has been abandonded and abused (by letting cattle erode creeks, etc.) and supports a one time payment to plant native vegation, protect streams, etc.

http://www.ga.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/eqip07.html

I suppose you don't buy any grain or anything for your cattle, since that's highly subsidized by the government. Good luck to you.<<<

Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night, pal!! More power to ya!! I hear it's nice and warm up on the tit!!!

VanC":8e6updrs said:
Somebody needs to bring this lowlife to Macon's attention.

Well if you need someone to second that, I'll be happy to...

Yo, Macon, over here!

Ya' know, nortexsook, you really are a %$#@. :)

Alice

Doc,
If i implied that straight hereford was the only way to go, then i'm sorry. By no means do i think that any commercial cattle person regardless of grassfed or conventional should be purebred operations. I am probably one of the biggest supporters for crossbreeding in beef cattle. But i will say that for the grassfed, i'm not so sure there will be a place for continental cattle, unless it is an extremely small framed simmy or gelbv

I'm not sure where I'll end up, but here's what I'm thinking right now:

1. Improve the pasture as much as possible. Without this, nothing matters much. Lime now, drill durana clover and perinnial rye in late fall.

2. I'm considering taking either high quality Murray Grey, or Shorthorn mama cows and crossing with a high quality Angus bull.

There are lots of ways to go, but it seems that focusing on pasture improvement and starting with good genetics will allow me to have a good start and to improve the herd over time.

lead_dog":2dbt74nh said:
I'm not sure where I'll end up, but here's what I'm thinking right now:

1. Improve the pasture as much as possible. Without this, nothing matters much. Lime now, drill durana clover and perinnial rye in late fall.

2. I'm considering taking either high quality Murray Grey, or Shorthorn mama cows and crossing with a high quality Angus bull.

There are lots of ways to go, but it seems that focusing on pasture improvement and starting with good genetics will allow me to have a good start and to improve the herd over time.

I think you have a reasonable plan. When we took over this place it had been continuously grazed for probably ten years. The grass was much improved within three years of intensive grazing. Then it stopped raining. Not much happens when it doesn't rain. :( But we're still in better shape than many pastures around here.

Good genetics are a must, along with marketing skills. If you're planning to sell meat instead of live calves, they're even more important.

Good luck....

lead_dog":2sg1j6y6 said:

Here's a photo of a half murray/half angus heifer calf
at about 6 months of age....murray bull sire and angus cow
dam:

2391bonita.jpg

Here's some steers; both the brown ones with butts toward camera were pretty close to ready for the butcher--they also were sired by murray grey bull and had angus dams:

moessteers.jpg

It makes a good cross, IMO

Latest posts