10% to 100% Increase

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
Farm Insurance up 10%
Seed up 10 to 25% (no corn yet)
Fertilizer up 100%

This was just the checks I wrote over the weekend, and checked on against last year.

Uff da :shock:

Michele

I just don't understand how they can say inflation is under control when prices of EVERYTHING are going up. Our trash pickup is twice what it was two years ago. Our electric bill is as high this spring as it used to be in the summer when we ran the air conditioner. We're going to be weaning calves and feed prices are up. Food prices are up. Our place was just reassessed and our property taxes will go up this year. We haven't even priced fertilizer this year. :mad:

I put out 34-0-0 yesterday and it was $390 a ton picked up. I think two years ago I thought it was high at $200 a ton.

Picked up a bag of milk replacer today, it was $20.00 more per bag than it was 2 weeks ago :shock: . Talk about sticker-shock!

Gasoline prices around here have risen 3 times (yes 3) since this past Sunday.

Our last 2 electric bills were nearly double what they normally are this time of year. No, we don't have electric heat, nor have we been using electrical appliances etc. more than usual.

Our property was re-assessed again and we will have another increase in taxes, the 3rd in 4 years.

Cost of living is going up, but the pay-checks remain the same.

Katherine

EVERYTHING seems to be going up and at a steady rate except as stated our paychecks. Among other things I have been watching the price of Parkay margarine. Seems that everytime I look it has gone up a few cents more. It doesn't seem that long ago that it was .79 a package.

The fuel prices are really hurting people. Folks have to get to work so we have to pay the price they want all the while they are having record profits. My husband keeps saying that at some point some people will rise up and it will be like Marie Antanette(SP) when she said let them eat cake or Boston Tea Party. Something has got to give.

Everyone want's to complain about the price of crude, but won't park there car, kids are still driving to school instead of riding the bus. Whine about the cost of electricity but won't turn the thermostat up to 80 or replace there light bulbs with CFL's.
Problem today is Americans don't remember families owning one automobile and didn't have AC at best had an attic fan. They are spoiled. Kids didn't have Z-71's to run the roads with we got to walk or saddle up.

Caustic Burno":1tgts4f7 said:
Everyone want's to complain about the price of crude, but won't park there car, kids are still driving to school instead of riding the bus. Whine about the cost of electricity but won't turn the thermostat up to 80 or replace there light bulbs with CFL's.
Problem today is Americans don't remember families owning one automobile and didn't have AC at best had an attic fan. They are spoiled. Kids didn't have Z-71's to run the roads with we got to walk or saddle up.

All true. But the oil companies weren't posting billions of dollars in profits and paying millions of dollars in bonuses to retiring CEOs back then either. It's greed, Caustic. Why should I (as an example for the common man) give up my comforts when oil company Execs are making millions?

Does anyone on this board remember when gas stations were really independently owned and they had "gas wars?" One station would lower their price a few cents and all the cars would come there. So the guy across the street would lower his price a few more cents and everyone would come to his place. It was pretty fun if you needed gas. Recently I saw a guy say that he RAISED his prices because the store down the street raised theirs! He had to stay competitive, he said. :oops:

wow makes our gas prices look low. gas is like 2.86 and diesel is like 2.96. i dont know alot bout the letric bill but were all electric and my dads always freakin out about how cheap it is. :eek: he just b!tches about the water bill? :oops: i dont know if pasture fert. would be cheaper then farming fert but i havnt heard too many guys complain about fert for their feilds. actually now that i think about it, i dont really hear anybody complaining too much about anything lately. :shock: :eek:

Its been higher prices in this area as well, but I found this to be informative and it seems to me that more and more people are buying essentials on a credit card (just stand in line at any store and see how many pull out the plastic) its plumb scary.

Here's a link of what is in the future for us.... from over at ranchers.net

http://ranchers.net/forum/about18363.html

Frankie":6y765tm0 said:
Caustic Burno":6y765tm0 said:

All true. But the oil companies weren't posting billions of dollars in profits and paying millions of dollars in bonuses to retiring CEOs back then either. It's greed, Caustic. Why should I (as an example for the common man) give up my comforts when oil company Execs are making millions?

Does anyone on this board remember when gas stations were really independently owned and they had "gas wars?" One station would lower their price a few cents and all the cars would come there. So the guy across the street would lower his price a few more cents and everyone would come to his place. It was pretty fun if you needed gas. Recently I saw a guy say that he RAISED his prices because the store down the street raised theirs! He had to stay competitive, he said. :oops:

Your greed there greed its the same thing and I bet if you went back and put yesterdays profits in todays dollars they were pretty close to the same.
Why should they cut the price you are standing in lin whinning still shoveling out the bucks. You think the government cares no way as long as you keep buying they get there 40 cents a gallon tax.
Its a commodity market as long as you keep paying the price it will stay up. Demand goes down so will price.
You want your cake and eat it to.

Caustic Burno":2bbzqidn said:
Everyone want's to complain about the price of crude, but won't park there car,

Main reason I bought that little '96 Mercury Tracer a year ago, 38 MPG. Lots easier on petrol than my 86 Chevy truck.

kids are still driving to school instead of riding the bus.

Makes me nuts!! As well as the parents driving kids to school. That's what some of my tax dollars pay for, those buses.

Whine about the cost of electricity but won't turn the thermostat up to 80 or replace there light bulbs with CFL's.

Don't have a thermostat. The house is heated with a wood-stove and the afternoon sun through the windows. There is no other heating system. Have replaced several bulbs, and don't leave lights on in rooms where we're not in. Have switches for the outside lights.

Problem today is Americans don't remember families owning one automobile

I do.

and didn't have AC at best had an attic fan.

That attic fan was the best! The only AC we have in this old house is a window unit that gets used for about 2 or 3 hours on only the hottest days (which amounts to about 10 days throughout the summer). Other than that, its open windows and a fan.

They are spoiled. Kids didn't have Z-71's to run the roads with we got to walk or saddle up.

I agree that some folks are spoiled. I have seen one neighbor, get in their car,just to cross the road to their parents house :roll: . And no, these neighbors are not disabled in any way.

Katherine

Caustic Burno":660d5tfm said:
Frankie":660d5tfm said:
Caustic Burno":660d5tfm said:

Your greed there greed its the same thing and I bet if you went back and put yesterdays profits in todays dollars they were pretty close to the same.
Why should they cut the price you are standing in lin whinning still shoveling out the bucks. You think the government cares no way as long as you keep buying they get there 40 cents a gallon tax.
Its a commodity market as long as you keep paying the price it will stay up. Demand goes down so will price.

I don't see how most people can do without 2 cars around here. Husband works in one area or town and wife works in another. Oil companies are making record profits. I remember not that long ago when gas was .99 gallon and people weren't driving any less than they are now. Something WRONG is going on with the oil companies and you know who.(not supposed to get into politics) Yes, I do remember when families only had one vehicle. That was when mama didn't work. Was a bad thing when the kid got hurt at home and dad had to drive a distance to get there. Would have been better if mama had a car.

I agree that we shouldn't have to give up the luxury of having 2 cars or being able to sit comfortably in my own home because of the greed of the people in charge. Shame on them-they will have to answer one day.

In the end we need fuel for cars and ourselves.

The organised companies have a better way of squeezing us than the others..

I'd say it's capitalisism at it's finest.

I love the USA.

Gate Opener":cx2iif38 said:
Caustic Burno":cx2iif38 said:
Frankie":cx2iif38 said:
Caustic Burno":cx2iif38 said:

I don't see how most people can do without 2 cars around here. Husband works in one area or town and wife works in another. Oil companies are making record profits. I remember not that long ago when gas was .99 gallon and people weren't driving any less than they are now. Something WRONG is going on with the oil companies and you know who.(not supposed to get into politics) Yes, I do remember when families only had one vehicle. That was when mama didn't work. Was a bad thing when the kid got hurt at home and dad had to drive a distance to get there. Would have been better if mama had a car.

I agree that we shouldn't have to give up the luxury of having 2 cars or being able to sit comfortably in my own home because of the greed of the people in charge. Shame on them-they will have to answer one day.

Its called 6 billion people on Earth ,China and India have found the 20th century. You are going to have to change.
Again a commodities market sellling to the highest bidder.
It is no longer just the old USA with a big appetite for fuel.

Latest posts