10# channel cat

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
We finally had success with our catfish. We fished for about 2 hours Sun pm with no success. Hubby left his line out with a bobber on it, caught a 4# next morning. We both fished for a while & I hooked a 10#er (well a little under) What a fight!!! And boy did it taste great :D We were getting 7#'er's out last year. Can't believe they are in such great condition after winter. Hubby feeds them, but just started for this season about 3 weeks ago.
They sure are hard to catch. This is in about a 1/4 acre pond. Can cast your line anywhere on the pond from 1 spot. We know there are LOTS of them, from watching them feed.

what are you using for bait? chick livers? if that doesnt catch them try cheese or pieces of hotdog. anything that smells strong. (well, not anything.)

Beefy":baltg5n4 said:
..... anything that smells strong. (well, not anything.)

I'll bet them Tennessee boys will use ANYTHING !!!!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley, Try fishing for them at the same time you feed them. Use a floating bait and a handful of dog food thrown on the water. When the feed action starts to slow a bit, throw out some more dogfood. The sound of the dogfood hitting the water and some fish feeding will have every catfish coming to the same location.

we fed ours the first year. till my son figured out you could thread the cat food with the holes in the middle on the hook.that pretty much took the sport out of it.

We use commercail "stink bait" - kind of like a thick dough made out of blood?? on a treble hook.
We occasionally will get them to bite using a bobber while we feed them.
Heard shrimp is good too, but so far we haven't tried it.
No picture.

I used Charlie Blood "B" (known locally as "catfish charlie") that came in a "Coolwhip" type tub. That smell would stay on your hands for days :x . Worked great on trotlines for channel cats in the creek. I used frozen shiners and cutbait too but the softshells would get caught on the lines.

Never tried it, but I've been told Ivory Soap is good catfish bait. Speaking of catfish, if you're ever in NW Alabama stop at the Wal-Win restaurant on the Walker/Winston County line on HWY 195. I have no connection to the restaurant, just passing along the name of a good place to get some catfish!!!!

Beefy":1jnelml2 said:
what are you using for bait? chick livers? if that doesnt catch them try cheese or pieces of hotdog. anything that smells strong. (well, not anything.)

We are having a Catfish tourney on the Milk River tonite- My son and his buddy are entered in it- One of the things they are using for bait is chicken livers, which they've left out in the sun for a couple days so they can get "ripe"......

A local fellow and his grandson caught a new state record out of the river last week.....

Oldtimer":qm9wcn8v said:
Beefy":qm9wcn8v said:

We are having a Catfish tourney on the Milk River tonite- My son and his buddy are entered in it- One of the things they are using for bait is chicken livers, which they've left out in the sun for a couple days so they can get "ripe"......

A local fellow and his grandson caught a new state record out of the river last week.....

OT, Try rabbit livers. They are a lot tougher than chicken livers and won't come off the hook as easily. All the groceries here sell them. (Democrats like them :lol: )

With chicken livers I tie about 3-4 inches of red thread to the eye of the hook. Put the piece of liver on and wrap the thread around it. For whole livers just a longer piece of thread. Fishing below dams the liver would wash off in a minute or 2 without the thread.

dun

been catfishin in the James River a lot and the best catfish bait that i've found was goldfish...I used to use chicken livers too but goldfish seem to work a lot better for me

Heritage_Farmboy":37mtjd4y said:
been catfishin in the James River a lot and the best catfish bait that i've found was goldfish...I used to use chicken livers too but goldfish seem to work a lot better for me

Depends on the type of catfish. Yellow cat only bite live bait or cut bait. They won't touch Catfish Charlie, Mr Whiskers, liver, anything like that. Channel cat will eat any old dead stinking thing. If you are using goldfish, you can catch more variety. I fish strickly for yellows. I like the white meat and size. We catch channel cat too but the meat is yellow and they are small. 30 lb yellows are perfect.

backhoeboogie":mrqzendd said:
Heritage_Farmboy":mrqzendd said:

Depends on the type of catfish. Yellow cat only bite live bait or cut bait. They won't touch Catfish Charlie, Mr Whiskers, liver, anything like that. Channel cat will eat any old dead stinking thing. If you are using goldfish, you can catch more variety. I fish strickly for yellows. I like the white meat and size. We catch channel cat too but the meat is yellow and they are small. 30 lb yellows are perfect.

with the goldfish we was catching mostly blues...we caught a few flatheads too

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2h3rk1n8 said:
Well, if mine get up to 30#, I'll have to change fishing gear. Using spinning real & 12# test line. 10# was a great fight, and he didn't have far to run around. :D :shock:

if you get them up to 30# then you might have some of us from cattletoday showing up at your door with a fishing pole and some catfish bait :D :lol:

Good luck with the catfish :)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3rnlqmrh said:
Well, if mine get up to 30#, I'll have to change fishing gear. Using spinning real & 12# test line. 10# was a great fight, and he didn't have far to run around. :D :shock:

Jeanne, that is the fun kind of fishing.

We generally trotline for the 30 pounders. Biggest personal catch ever was a 45 plus. That is a mess when you are in chest waders and its the middle of the night.

I have seen one over 100 but I didn't catch it. That one would have made the Brazos record book if it had been caught on rod and reel.

There were times we pulled several over 20 plus off one line. We used to run them every two hours and take fish each time. Not lately tho. The Brazos River is about dead in these parts. Ecologisits blame golden algae. There are still channel cat in the river.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":yj1vi19n said:
Let us know how they make out.

They ended up 10th which didn't bring them much money..In the 6 hours they could fish they caught 18 catfish- altho most were only about a pound or pound and half-- rules were you could only keep the biggest 5- which theirs weighed 14.5 lbs...70 teams participated.....They said that that night they were biting mostly on nightcrawlers.....

Winners caught a little over 20 lbs and had the biggest fish of the tourney- 9.5 lbs- won a $1000....

The state record for Channel Cat up here is just below 30 lbs- altho in years past I've seen bigger caught and no one even knew what the record was- they just got ate.. :roll:

Latest posts