$1.50 8 wt futures

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
A few months ago I thought $1.40 was almost a dream and now Sept 2012 future prices for 8wt feeders is 149.125. What is the thought on what the $1.50 mark will do to the market?

Can you post the link where you check & follow these futures? I want to start following it also. I don't have enough experience to really weigh in on your ? but do you think things are going to suddenly come crashing to earth price wise?

Both links are good. I follow the CME because I have it on my phone and have not put other ones on therre yet.
I dont know what to think but it gives the opportunity to lock in some prices for next year at a very good profit. I am putting in a load now that a futures prices was locked in before I ever started buying them for the customer. He knows, baring death loss. that he should make a good profit.

kenny thomas":280i08p7 said:
A few months ago I thought $1.40 was almost a dream and now Sept 2012 future prices for 8wt feeders is 149.125. What is the thought on what the $1.50 mark will do to the market?

That's about what it will take to get people saving heifers, eh? If we get to Sept 2012 and cash prices are in that neighborhood, that'll be good. Assuming expenses stay where they are.

kenny thomas":iwcv2042 said:
Update, this post is almost 4 months old and 1.50 futures are a long way in the past.
Today almost got to 1.60. Where will it end?
i read a short peice in our weekly local ag paper that said that feedlots no longer want feeder cattle under 700lbs.said they are buying anything over 700lbs an prefer calves over 800lbs.all of this is because of $8 corn.years ago when corn was $2 they bought 400lb calves an put them in the feedlots for 240 days.so now they are decreasing the days on feed as much as possable.so guess people need to get geared towards selling heavy weights.weve been selling heavy weights for the last few years.

I just looked and feeder cattle futures were at $1.5960 on most of the board. I seems just a few months we were wondering if it would break $1.40. Most of the fat cattle futures are over $1.30. Things are looking pretty good.

kenny thomas":rzwsq5o8 said:
Update, this post is almost 4 months old and 1.50 futures are a long way in the past.
Kenny I'm glad to see you checking this regularly. 2 1/2 years ago you were without a clue on markets, now your involved and keeping track, thats promising.

Yep, even a dumb redneck learns something every now and then. All I knew back then was to buy low and sell high.
Now I check the markets a couple of times a day and worry where it is going. :lol2:

inbredredneck":2q95e4fv said:
kenny thomas":2q95e4fv said:
Kenny I'm glad to see you checking this regularly. 2 1/2 years ago you were without a clue on markets, now your involved and keeping track, thats promising.
Sure wish u could find .79 fats for buying purposes. ;-)

hooknline":1thl69ps said:
inbredredneck":1thl69ps said:
kenny thomas":1thl69ps said:

Lets see, those were in Pennsylvania weren't they. Hey we just moved part of the business into a town 20 minutes from expensive hobby so anybody got any idea how to back haul cattle on a fuel truck. :lol2: :lol2:

hooknline":5jojrpwy said:
inbredredneck":5jojrpwy said:
kenny thomas":5jojrpwy said:
Damn it that was a fun one to. What was his name again? and what was we hashing it out over?