07 Steer Prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

showkid1200

Reaction score
This is my new steer, he's an Almost Famous steer and he is currently seven months old and weighs 615 pounds. So If you would please tell me what you think of him I would grately appreciate it.

steer7months.jpg

steer7monthsrear.jpg

I like him pretty well. He seems to have a nice profile and looks fairly correct in how he stands. I wish that he was wider though. Seems like he is almost standing with his back feet together. Not bad though. I think that he will fill out and finish nicely for you. :D

yeah he is wider i'll upload another pic tomm he actually does stand pretty correct he just had his feet together when i took these. He also needs his hooves trimmed.

I like him, and think he will even look better when you get him standing correctly. Please share updated pics of him when you get the feed poured into him! Good Luck!

I would keep as much fill in him as I can. He is a little tight middled just like his sire. Have someone else clip him next time as well. He is a nice county calf in good hands. Good luck with him.

mturner719":xjyuyjko said:
I would keep as much fill in him as I can. He is a little tight middled just like his sire. Have someone else clip him next time as well. He is a nice county calf in good hands. Good luck with him.

Have someone else clip him out, why's that? well anyways I'm going to try and upload some more pics I was halfway done with him there I had to finish with his front shoulders and his rear.

Yeah, i'd definitely have someone else clip him out the right way. 8)

Keep clipping him yourself! If you were my kid I would rather you showed him exactly as he is in the pic and and had did it yourself than have someone else clip him.

Plus as you said you are not done. Looks like you have a good start and got the hair working OK.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted as to his progress.

aplusmnt":vxvxg3v9 said:
Keep clipping him yourself! If you were my kid I would rather you showed him exactly as he is in the pic and and had did it yourself than have someone else clip him.

Plus as you said you are not done. Looks like you have a good start and got the hair working OK.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted as to his progress.

I would have to agree. So many kids in the 4-H and Junior shows don't even do 75- 90% of the work. You are doing a great job with him, I don't see any reason to hire it done- practice makes perfect.

There is a time to clip something yourself and a time not to. If your not going anywhere soon a amateur clip job is fine. If your going to a show that matters, get some help. A bad clip job takes a LONG time to grow out. Get a subscription to the show circuit and scrutize pics, it will help you. Go to a clinic or get someone who you think is knowledgeable to give you some pointers and most of all watch everyone you can that you can that is winning at shows.

Your steer looks real good. Keep pouring the feed to him. He looks like one that might need a little extra push.

The incomplete clipping job looks OK. Keep practicing, but remember, too little hair off is always better than too much off. As mturner719 said, find the experts, and watch how they clip. You can emulate them in some aspects, but every good clipper has to develop their own style. Good Luck!!

He's good and will get only better as time goes on. But I think the next time you clip, I mean it looks like you used some Surg Steel blades on his tail. It's done right just WAY to tight. Good luck

Latest posts