06 duramax turbo

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
My turbo went out on my 06 duramax last week. New one is $ 1700.00, but I can't even find one in stock anywhere. Only 178,000 miles on it and I am sorely disappointed in it. Anyone else have this problem this soon.

I've heard a lot of problems with the injector tips falling off and really messing things up, there was a recall on that, not sure if it goes back to 06, but you might want to check.

don't get a stock turbo, go aftermarket, you can probably get a better one for less. Look up BD Diesel to start with,... you can probably also get yours rebuilt, depending on what's wrong that might be the way to go. Is that a variable vane turbo? I know the vanes can stick once in a while while the rest of the rotating assembly is still fine.

It sounds about right on the mileage. We had three duramax trucks at work ranging from 04 to 07 and the turbos lasted between 90k and 120k miles on all three trucks.

If it's not variable vane, I'm sure BD will have one for you.. I know I can get a good upgrade (SuperB) for a cummins for about $1400 CDN with downpipe.

My 06 Kodiak is in the shop replaced the turbo vane position sensor now they're going to try to tear the turbo apart see if they can clean it up. they hope it's just clogged with carbon and they can polish it up.

Exactly what's wrong with it I don't know. My brother is the mechanic. While pulling an empty horse trailer, I lost power and if I gave it pedal I could not see the trailer behind me for all the black smoke. We babied it back to town and he and his brother in law, who works for classic chevrolet in grapevine diagnosed the problem. Looks like the easiest way to get to it is to take the cab off.

If you can, take the air filter piping off the turbo and you should see if there's a lot of shaft play, there should be pretty much none when you push or pull on it, and a little bit side to side is OK, of course there might be much more evident damage.

you *might* be able to undo a couple of the front cab/front clip mounts and tilt the cab back, especially on a extra or crew cab before the cab touches the box, and that should give you much better access.
That's one of the major reasons I will never have a V8 diesel pickup.. just too darned hard to work on

You do not pull the cab for a turbo change or repair on a Duramax. You need a new mechanic. Give Pela Motor sports a call at 561-327-7373 he will have used Dmax turbos. He's probably the best Duramax mechanic in the country.

highgrit":5hw5gtfi said:
You do not pull the cab for a turbo change or repair on a Duramax. You need a new mechanic. Give Pela Motor sports a call at 561-327-7373 he will have used Dmax turbos. He's probably the best Duramax mechanic in the country.
I question the diagnosis a bit too.....unless it blew an oil seal in the turbo(I'm not even sure how they oil that turbo) and the black smoke was oil I don't know how you could drive one home like that. They are pretty simple but expensive and labor intensive enough you don't want a parts replacer working on it....
Is the check engine light on? What are the codes?

Remember this is an opinion from the internet, but it sure sounds like injectors, of course if it is the turbo it may be easy enough to spot. My 07 had 3 or 4 injectors replaced on the V8 duramax and mine was doing exactly what yours was doing, smoking big time with no power. I have the early 07 model, as aposed to the late 07, the dealer told me they changed the injectors in the early 07 models and the 04 to 06 were a recall item ....... Therefore mine were not covered by the recall.

186k no turbo problem ..... Knock on wood.

I will add they looked at the turbo had the engine pretty well striped down just going under the hood.

good point kingfisher, rubber connectors that have rubbed will leak or rip open, check the intercooler too, and the air filter!

Wish I hadn't read this. My 04 has 257K on it and haven't had a problem with the turbo - yet. Maybe it will hold together a few more miles. Been thinking about a new one anyway.

papavillars":2jb206q8 said:
My turbo went out on my 06 duramax last week. New one is $ 1700.00, but I can't even find one in stock anywhere. Only 178,000 miles on it and I am sorely disappointed in it. Anyone else have this problem this soon.
Had to replace injectors in 05 duramax with less than 20,000 miles....still under warranty... no problems for next 200,000+ miles.

Latest posts