bull question

Help Support CattleToday:

John Baker

Reaction score
I recently purchased a yearling bull from a breeder who sells registered black Angus cattle.
I didn't intend nor did I want a registered bull. Just a non registered bull from a breed who sells registered cattle.
While we were talking about the bull, he said either, I couldn't or I wouldn't register him because he has some white on his belly.

My question is can this bull be register with white on his belly, or is it just the practice by the seller not to register a bull with white on his belly? I don't want to register him, I'm just curious.
So far he is doing the job and is looking good.

In the Brangus registry, they can not have any white in front of the navel. Angus is probably the same, or none at all allowed. Sometimes I will get a heifer with a small white patch on her udder, and that's ok.

Here are the guidelines:
c. Skin color. The skin color of all animals for which application for registration is made must be BLACK, except that animals having birthmarks or white hairs on black skin may be eligible for registration. An animal red in color, or whose ancestor(s) are red in color, or with white skin above the underline, in front of the navel or on leg, foot, or tail, shall not be eligible for registration. In the event that a registered animal is discovered to be red in color or to have ineligible white skin, its registration shall be null and void, and the Certificate of Registration must be returned to the Association for cancellation.

branguscowgirl":2lx3olll said:
In the Brangus registry, they can not have any white in front of the navel. Angus is probably the same, or none at all allowed. Sometimes I will get a heifer with a small white patch on her udder, and that's ok.
Yup and Red Angus are the same way. But it sure wouldn;t keep from using him as a bull on commercial cows!

Thanks, Yes i'm a cow/calf commercial operation.
I believe the seller mentioned he was a Black Angus or a Beefmaster breeder.
Does that matter? And what's the difference?

Big difference in Black Angus and Beef Masters. Google up some pictures.
Don't know if "it matters" to you or not. Do you know what kind of bull you bought for sure?

He's black Angus, I didn't mean to mislead you. I was just wondering if reg requirements were different.
I will try to get some pictures tomorrow.

John Baker":3vfsdzbf said:
He's black Angus, I didn't mean to mislead you. I was just wondering if reg requirements were different.
I will try to get some pictures tomorrow.
Yes, each breed Association has it's own registration criteria.

Sorry for the delay.
I finally got a sunny day and he wouldn't come out of the shade. So here's the best I could do.

His right side

His left side

more

Just curious John. What did he charge you for the bull...and what did he weigh when you picked him up.

FWIW I don't think that white is a disqualifier for an Angus. However he certainly could have used that as an excuse.

I payed $1,050 and I didn't weigh him but I guessed 950-1,000 lbs.
Thanks for your help

John Baker":xfw5o61x said:
I payed $1,050 and I didn't weigh him but I guessed 950-1,000 lbs.
Thanks for your help

You're fine and for a commercial operation I wouldn't give it another thought.

I have a friend who has a registered angus bull and he has some white in the same spot but not quite that big and that bull passes that white spot to all his calves

If that's all the white he passes on, I'm fine with that.
I just don't want any skunk tails.

I believe that you are ok with the registry, but most people I know would have cut him. They wouldn't want that to keep popping up in a registered herd. Probably doesn't matter to you though.

$1050 was a heck of a deal. He would bring more than that at the sale barn for slaughter.

branguscowgirl":9uh62itr said:
I believe that you are ok with the registry, but most people I know would have cut him. They wouldn't want that to keep popping up in a registered herd. Probably doesn't matter to you though.

The seller has an excellent reputation for selling quality bulls, so I expect that is why he didn't register him himself.
His registered quality bulls go for $2,000 and up, so I think I got a good deal for what he considers a slaughter bull.

As most of my heifers are out of a Black Angus commercial herd, whose mamma's could have been register also and are large animals as is he, I think they will make a good match and my heifer's genetics just might put an end to the white in the next generation. If not, I will replace him.

As soon as the rain stops I'll get some pictures of my heifers to see what you think of them.

Latest posts