Who here tattoos ....

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
Who here tattoos (ears) the earliest? I'm thinking earlier is better, as in asap, in regards to handling. But wanted to see y'alls thoughts on the matter, and when is too early I guess?

I usually tattoo around 3-6 months, i find the earlier the less they seem to feel it. Either that or they don't realise what is going on. If you go too late they don't want their ears touched after that. I have an associate who does everything at a few days but their tattoos are terrible. I have done at three weeks out of necessity and it worked out well but three months is my favourite time.

Redgully said:
I usually tattoo around 3-6 months, i find the earlier the less they seem to feel it. Either that or they don't realise what is going on. If you go too late they don't want their ears touched after that. I have an associate who does everything at a few days but their tattoos are terrible. I have done at three weeks out of necessity and it worked out well but three months is my favourite time.

That is my experience too. If you do it too young they are never very clear to read. I wean at 7 months. If I have to, I use the head chain on the front of the chute.

i do at weaning, around 7 months, if they dont make the cut to register, no tat

We tattoo as late as possible. Since she show some of the cattle, if we tattoo too early, the tattoo becomes ineligible. We have had to redo a few, they seem to fade after a year or so

Redgully said:
Fire Sweep Ranch said:
We tattoo as late as possible. Since she show some of the cattle, if we tattoo too early, the tattoo becomes ineligible. We have had to redo a few, they seem to fade after a year or so

What ink do you use, mine last forever.

Ketchum Animal Tattoo ink
https://www.valleyvet.com/swatches/40941_L_000_000.jpg

I'm not sure how many people go back and try to LOOK and READ the tattoo a year or longer later, however it is common knowledge in the show world that they tend to fade or get difficult to read just after a year. At our AJSA regional and national shows, every animal must have a legible tattoo that matches the papers. EVERY animal is inspected. Flashlights behind the ears are used on the ones that are a little more difficult to read. Even that, sometimes, does not help to read the tattoo because it has faded or distorted. I have been inspecting tattoos for 12 years now, it is common.

Maybe someone needs to make a small adjustable freeze brander for inside the ear. Probably the most important part to tattoos is having a good head catch. The Arrow Chute with their head catch system is second to none.

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
Redgully said:
Fire Sweep Ranch said:

What ink do you use, mine last forever.

Ketchum Animal Tattoo ink
https://www.valleyvet.com/swatches/40941_L_000_000.jpg

I'm not sure how many people go back and try to LOOK and READ the tattoo a year or longer later, however it is common knowledge in the show world that they tend to fade or get difficult to read just after a year. At our AJSA regional and national shows, every animal must have a legible tattoo that matches the papers. EVERY animal is inspected. Flashlights behind the ears are used on the ones that are a little more difficult to read. Even that, sometimes, does not help to read the tattoo because it has faded or distorted. I have been inspecting tattoos for 12 years now, it is common.

Same ink as i use. Still i don't have problems. I had a five year old go to the show this year and they just walked up to her in the stall without even touching her ear to read it. I had a nine year old in the chute last week and tattoo as clear as the day it was done. These are red poll so maybe that helps. Did use black ink in the past that i had fade on me. I have a friend with angus and he has a lot of problems. I have been told you can rub baking soda in after the ink to raise a tattoo, ever tried anything like that. I've never seen one with that having been done but might try.

hmmm, baking soda? We might try that this year on the ones we plan on showing.
Maybe it is the black ears that are the problem? Something to think about.

I've used the Ketchum green tube ink and basic pliers/digits for eons on many hundreds of both red & blk 3-6 month old calves. Never had a fading issue including animals well in their upper teens. All due respect but I'm wondering if technique may be contributing to the fading problem?

Latest posts