Tyson Foods Warns of Meat Shortage as Plants Close

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got to two retired roping steer that spent all winter laying in oats up to their brisket.
Been getting corn about two months now. Fixing to go to the ethnic slaughter house, :shock: , I'll get back quarters to go in my walk-in and we'll finish them up ourselves.

shaz said:
Oh yeah, I'm sitting on most of my 2019 calf crop and weaning more today.

Opposite happened to me. Sold faster, sold at a better price and also got my freezer cows into the small processor easier and at the same piece I've been paying for years. Usually it takes me 3-4 weeks to book, this week I was lucky to get them in a day after booking.

It's coming. But I am super small time and for me it's shown to be an easier sell.

callmefence said:
I've got to two retired roping steer that spent all winter laying in oats up to their brisket.
Been getting corn about two months now. Fixing to go to the ethnic slaughter house, :shock: , I'll get back quarters to go in my walk-in and we'll finish them up ourselves.

Define ethnic...

cowgal604 said:
callmefence said:

Define ethnic...
A subculture or group among a larger or more dominant national group or larger population.

callmefence said:
cowgal604 said:
callmefence said:

Define ethnic...
A subculture or group among a larger or more dominant national group or larger population.
Ya I understand the definition. What ethnicity?

cowgal604 said:
callmefence said:
cowgal604 said:
Ya I understand the definition. What ethnicity?

Lol.... Muslim

And they will only do halal? Just generally curious.

Actually no although that is what they are set up for. I'm not going to say to much because I don't know the regs.
They are close, they are business associates, and becoming friends of mine. And They owe me a favor. My mind is not clouded by religion and I've found that in business theirs is not either.
As I said the final processing will be done in my shop

callmefence said:
cowgal604 said:
callmefence said:
Lol.... Muslim

And they will only do halal? Just generally curious.

Actually no although that is what they are set up for. I'm not going to say to much because I don't know the regs.
They are close, they are business associates, and becoming friends of mine. And They owe me a favor. My mind is not clouded by religion and I've found that in business theirs is not either.
As I said the final processing will be done in my shop

If you ever take an animal through processing with them I'd be really curious to hear how it went.

Local news covered plans to get slaughter back up to 80% of previous processing. Did not address what happens to the other 20% of the animals? One closed MN slaughter plant will not buy hogs, but has a small crew on that will render them for free.

Producers have been holding back some cattle here, and dumping hogs. Huge butcher hog run consigned to our local barn next week.

Had a call offering to buy meat if I would store it... Customer was trying to buy a second chest freezer and could not find one anywhere.

Nationally we are a mess. Now getting test machines but not enough test supplies. Once we have supplies we will not have enough contact tracing. I understand we need to start reopening but there is not a coherent plan. Ingesting disinfectant while hoping for a vaccine is not a plan.

So we need to think through what worst case looks like, and how to survive it. I am selling cows, buying heiferettes, and looking into a better outdoor grill. Could have a lot of 3 year old grass feds next year. :cowboy: Just hope they do not get as old as Hippy Rancher's.

kenny thomas said:
Hogs coming east by the truckload. 300lb top hogs cheap. Now getting them killed is another issue
How does one get some of these hogs? Have any contacts you would care to share? I could use some.

NoRest Farm said:
kenny thomas said:
Hogs coming east by the truckload. 300lb top hogs cheap. Now getting them killed is another issue
How does one get some of these hogs? Have any contacts you would care to share? I could use some.
First issue is you have to take a minimum of 100 to get a trucker to load them. I'm getting some for myself through a cattle buyer and he is getting them brought back on the back haul. Not sure where you are but this is going on everywhere here. Every stockyard in this area are having some next week.
If your in southwest Virginia I can PM you a contact.

I'm in swva but closer to Roanoke. I could use a load if I could find them at the right price. Even have a truck in Iowa now needing a load to get back.

Latest posts