Tyson Foods Warns of Meat Shortage as Plants Close

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
https://time.com/5827631/tyson-foods-meat-shortage/

Tyson Foods, one of the U.S.'s biggest meat processors, didn't mince words in a full page New York Times spread that ran Sunday, in which they warned, "the food supply chain is breaking."

"As pork, beef and chicken plants are being forced to close, even for short periods of time, millions of pounds of meat will disappear from the supply chain," John Tyson, Chairman of the Board of Tyson Foods, wrote in a letter published as an advertisement. "As a result, there will be limited supply of our products available in grocery stores until we are able to reopen our facilities that are currently closed."

We need a multitude of small beef processors, and a more direct route to retail outlets. Over 90% of our beef comes from one of four mega processors. Each processor processes 30,000 head per day. They are our choke point.

I am becoming convinced that our government wants Ag to move totally offshore. All the evidence, which grows every day, points to that. There is no other viable explanation

Small processors have been legislated out of existence. We need to make the need for small processors known to Congress. We need to end our dependence away from the big four mega processors.

Small processors have been legislated out of existence. We need to make the need for small processors known to Congress. We need to end our dependence away from the big four mega processors.
First step would be dismantling NCBA.

I don't think the gov't cares much one way or another... They are just happy to ignore it, let the packers do what they want, get some kickbacks perhaps.
Agreed the legislation on small packers is a killer, and that's why no one wants the bother with it.

Nesikep said:
I don't think the gov't cares much one way or another... They are just happy to ignore it, let the packers do what they want, get some kickbacks perhaps.
Agreed the legislation on small packers is a killer, and that's why no one wants the bother with it.

Legislators (the government) pass laws they are paid to pass. The big four have paid to put us in the situation we find ourselves in today.

HDRider said:
We need a multitude of small beef processors, and a more direct route to retail outlets. Over 90% of our beef comes from one of four mega processors. Each processor processes 30,000 head per day. They are our choke point.

I am becoming convinced that our government wants Ag to move totally offshore. All the evidence, which grows every day, points to that. There is no other viable explanation

You are right. I don't think they care at all about American farmers and ranchers they are however very much in bed with packing companies and their lobbyists and money. The politicians love to spout bring back American companies and American jobs and buy American products yet hypocritically support these conglomerate multinational packing companies over the American Farmers and Ranchers. American Farmers and Ranchers could feed our country and probably more cost effectively if we could sell to individuals and have local butchers do the processing. These packing companies are taking advantage of both cattle producers and consumers and the politicians are turning a blind eye to it.

This will end up just one more opportunity to tighten the noose on the producer, screw the consumer, and they'll get a big bail out pushing them further down prosperity lane.

Bigfoot said:
This will end up just one more opportunity to tighten the noose on the producer, screw the consumer, and they'll get a big bail out pushing them further down prosperity lane.

I'm afraid your right.

You are right we need more small processors. Do you have a spare million or two laying around to build one? What will the return on investment be? That is one of the reasons we don't have them. Just talking reality here.

Dave said:
You are right we need more small processors. Do you have a spare million or two laying around to build one? What will the return on investment be? That is one of the reasons we don't have them. Just talking reality here.

Better than the cattle business

HDRider said:
I am becoming convinced that our government wants Ag to move totally offshore. All the evidence, which grows every day, points to that. There is no other viable explanation.

I won't argue that you're wrong. You may even be 100% correct. But if that's so, all they have to do is cut out the subsidies. Every time you turn around there's another program, for row crop farmers especially. Don't misunderstand me, I'm a friend of the farmer. Grew up in and around it. But today's row crop farmer is a government employee just like a worker at an Air Force Base. And most other Ag related businesses aren't far behind.

JMJ Farms said:
HDRider said:
I am becoming convinced that our government wants Ag to move totally offshore. All the evidence, which grows every day, points to that. There is no other viable explanation.

I won't argue that you're wrong. You may even be 100% correct. But if that's so, all they have to do is cut out the subsidies. Every time you turn around there's another program, for row crop farmers especially. Don't misunderstand me, I'm a friend of the farmer. Grew up in and around it. But today's row crop farmer is a government employee just like a worker at an Air Force Base. And most other Ag related businesses aren't far behind.

JMJ you bring up another very good point that is also very much at play. The grain farmers are recipients of a lot of government money which is certainly disproportionate to little to nothing for cattle producers which again puts us at a disadvantage.

Dave said:

I agree that not many individuals could do it however there is one about 50 miles from here. There are several small slaughter houses in our area that folks could utilize if they didn't have to adhere to the over inflated importance of USDA inspections. If not for that a lot of small producers could sell direct to customers. Money and influence is what has created this debacle and it's so glaringly obvious that it should be embarrassing.

Dave said:

A small processor has to be profitable. That means changes in regulations and laws that have legislated them out of existence. I envision a cooperative effort between producers, processors and retail outlets.

The record-high beef prices refer to the USDA Boxed Beef Cutout which is a wholesale price (on a dressed carcass basis that is formulated off of prices for various beef cuts) that is based on reported trades between packers and grocery store chains, food service companies and the like. Yesterday's choice cutout value of $275.75 was the highest on record going back to at least 1987.

https://www.agriculture.com/markets/analysis/beef-prices-hit-record-high-levels-processing-numbers-drop

Just found this

http://beefcutoutcalculator.agsci.colostate.edu/

It calculates current cut out prices

Has anybody felt the impact on the price of their cows as a result of demand being less because the packers aren't working at full capacity?

Oh yeah, I'm sitting on most of my 2019 calf crop and weaning more today.

I tried hard to sell wholes, and halves last year. Nary a nibble. I had two steers ready now. They are sold. You can't find a freezer to buy.

libertygarden said:
Has anybody felt the impact on the price of their cows as a result of demand being less because the packers aren't working at full capacity?

Yes, a few weeks back when pound cows started selling pretty decent, we sold some the next week. The day before they were still selling ok and then the day we sold we got about considerably less than they sold for the day before. Glad we didn't sell all of them, we turned a heifer that had lost a calf back out and sent another to a processor as we were about out of meat. I have some more that will eventually have to swallow what ever they give us for them and they are in good shape. We are also going to try to hold on to some heifers rather than sell them cheap.

Latest posts