tell how, one and all beef liver

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
It's probably been 35 years since I've cooked any beef liver but wife asked me to. Stove top in a skillet most likely, not charcoal grilled.
Liver, onions brown gravy. I'm all ears (eyes)

Just made it yesterday. Wife won't touch it.

Fry bacon
sauté onion in bacon grease, I usually put onions in on the last turn of the bacon.
flour/salt/pepper on liver
fry liver in bacon grease

Medium low heat (same as normally cook bacon)

I like white gravy some prefer brown
mashed or boiled taters with gravy helps it go down

Fry bacon
sauté onion in bacon grease, I usually put onions in on the last turn of the bacon.

Exactly what I do! I keep a coffee can that I pour my bacon grease in every morning, but if I was running low, I would do what you do: Fry some bacon just to get the grease!

The secret to making delicious beef liver....
Blanch the liver in a pot of boiling water for a minute or 2 before frying.
You will see 'scum' from impurities form on the water = drain, roll in flour and fry.
Blanching cuts the harshness that many find objectionable.
Try it... you'll like it... you're welcome :)

Last edited:

Fry bacon
Put nice fat cheese burger on the grill now.
fry liver in bacon grease.
Feed liver and bacon grease you ruined to the dog. ( only do this if your dog lives outside and you have a love hate relationship)
Go back inside and enjoy your bacon cheeseburger with delicious grilled onions.😂

There you go I fixed it for you!

Fry bacon

I don't blame her. I wouldn't either. As far as I know, the only thing that tastes worse than beef liver is chicken liver. I'd rather have a chunk of sheep meat, and I really don't like sheep meat.

Our retired butcher swears you put it in the crockpot with a can of cream of mushroom soup.
I don't like either so never tried it.

My momma cooked it every time we butchered a calf. My "job" was carrying the liver back to the house in a bucket........I can still remember that smell. My brothers and I never developed a taste for liver. I'm very thankful my husband hasn't either.

Pretty bad when it's not even fit to throw in the trash can..
That was just the package and the flour I coated the liver in. The stuff just stinks even when still cold. I KNOW what rotten liver smells like and it ain't good.

Oddly, I loved eating it when I was a kid, but I didn't have to cook it. Momma did.

Latest posts