Beef roast recipe.

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
I'm looking for a better beef roast recipe.
A lot of good cooks have passed on in my family, and I'm trying to find out how to cook a roast like they did.
It would be nicely browned on the outside, but firm and tender when you sliced it.
Roast is one of my favorite cuts of meat, any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Here's how I do it. How firm it comes out depends on how long you cook it in the oven.
Made these instructions up back in 2019 for posting somewhere on the web. May have been here at CT. I didn't show it in these instructions, but I usually coat top, bottom and all sides with flour and brown all sides even if I have to hold it up on it's sides with a carving fork to get the edges browned. I have been told I can do the sear after it's been cooked in the oven but I prefer to brown it all sides before it goes in as I prefer it to be fork tender, not needing a carving knife at serving.. This one was too large for the skillet so I cut it in half after browning and cooked it in 2 skillets.

roastinstr1.jpg

roastinstr2.jpg

(yep, I can cook!)

Last edited:
Here's how I do it. How firm it comes out depends on how long you cook it in the oven.
Made these instructions up back in 2019 for posting somewhere on the web. May have been here at CT. I didn't show it in these instructions, but I usually coat top, bottom and all sides with flour and brown all sides even if I have to hold it up on it's sides with a carving fork to get the edges browned. I have been told I can do the sear after it's been cooked in the oven but I prefer to brown it all sides before it goes in as I prefer it to be fork tender, not needing a carving knife at serving.. This one was too large for the skillet so I cut it in half after browning and cooked it in 2 skillets.

View attachment 25323

View attachment 25324

(yep, I can cook!)
First question: What is the seasoning you are using?

Second question: Does that wooden handle unscrew from the pot? I have never seen that before.

First question: What is the seasoning you are using?

Second question: Does that wooden handle unscrew from the pot? I have never seen that before.
A pretty common (generic) rib rub around here. Fiesta brand. When I lived in Memphis, I frequently got some rub from a b-i-l that competed every year in Memphis In May bbq contest and it was really good. He never would share how he made it so I have to settle for store bought southwestern type seasonings which most times I prefer anyway.
Yes ,the wooden handles unscrew from the skillet. Probably weren't intended to but I do it anyway. Something I learned from my father many decades ago when I was learning mechanics in his shop. "Son, if someone somewhere put it together then someone else, somewhere else, sometime later can take it apart."
There is also a smaller knobby handle for the opposite side but I usually don't put it back on. The skillet is nearly 40 years old and heavy. Originally was teflon inside but that is long gone. A good heavy, well seasoned (blackened) cast iron dutch oven works just as well but for just wife and I nowadays, I usually use the skillet.
I like to add poblano peppers in too but only roasted poblanos. Raw ones sliced up tend to bring some bitterness while the roasted poblanos give some smokiness.
No matter what pepper you use, always cut ALL the white material out along the insides. It's pulpy and brings bitterness as it cooks.
pulpepper.jpg

DSC00419.JPG

My favourite kitchen discovery has been the digital temperature probe (ThermoPro in my case) that connects via Bluetooth to my devices. Takes all the guess work out so I will never have to suffer through an overcooked roast again. I can keep an eye on the temp from anywhere and I get it cooked exactly how I want every time.

A pretty common (generic) rib rub around here. Fiesta brand. When I lived in Memphis, I frequently got some rub from a b-i-l that competed every year in Memphis In May bbq contest and it was really good. He never would share how he made it so I have to settle for store bought southwestern type seasonings which most times I prefer anyway.
Yes ,the wooden handles unscrew from the skillet. Probably weren't intended to but I do it anyway. Something I learned from my father many decades ago when I was learning mechanics in his shop. "Son, if someone somewhere put it together then someone else, somewhere else, sometime later can take it apart."
There is also a smaller knobby handle for the opposite side but I usually don't put it back on. The skillet is nearly 40 years old and heavy. Originally was teflon inside but that is long gone. A good heavy, well seasoned (blackened) cast iron dutch oven works just as well but for just wife and I nowadays, I usually use the skillet.
I like to add poblano peppers in too but only roasted poblanos. Raw ones sliced up tend to bring some bitterness while the roasted poblanos give some smokiness.
No matter what pepper you use, always cut ALL the white material out along the insides. It's pulpy and brings bitterness as it cooks.
View attachment 25356

View attachment 25351
Fiesta makes some really good seasonings. I really like their pinto bean seasoning.

You can get Harley's with MSG or without.

• 35 YEARS OF BBQ EXPERIENCE | Harley's Texas Style Seasoning has been in business for about 35 years. We offer four blends of our seasonings, one to suit every need. The Original, and a No MSG version and a Sweet Rib Rub and a No MSG version of it also. Harley's Team has been competing and participating in many cook off's in Texas, Colordo, Iowa, Illinois, New Mexico, North Dakota and the Big Show in Kansas City.

Have any of you tried Mississippi Pot Roast? It's really tasty and GOOD.

• 3-1/2 to 4 pounds chuck roast or cubed stew beef
  • 1 packet au jus gravy mix
  • 1 packet ranch dressing mix
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 2 to 8 pepperoncini peppers, depending on how much heat you want
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • Put it in a crock pot or in the oven.

• Place the chuck roast or stew beef into the slow-cooker insert. Sprinkle the dry gravy mix and dry ranch dressing mix over the roast, then place the stick of butter on top of the meat. Place the pepperoncini peppers on and around the meat; the more you add, the spicier the roast and gravy will be. Pour 1/4 cup of water over everything.
  • Turn the slow cooker on to the low setting, and allow the meat and ingredients to cook for eight hours. When the meat is done, it should be fall-apart tender. (If you choose to use cubed stew beef, it may finish cooking a bit sooner; check after 7-1/2 hours to see if the meat is tender.)
  • Use tongs to move the cooked roast and the pepperoncini to a cutting board. Use two forks to pull the meat apart into shreds, removing any pieces of fat that remain.
  • I don't do this, but you can: Pour the cooking liquid through a strainer into a gravy separator or a large glass measuring cup. Allow the fat to rise to the top so you can pour or skim it from the surface. Discard the fat. Pour the meat juices into a small saucepan, and bring it to a simmer over medium-high heat. Slowly sprinkle the flour into the simmering liquid, whisking it in after each addition. Simmer the gravy a few seconds longer until it begins to thicken.
  • Place the meat and peppers back in the slow cooker and pour the gravy over it. Use tongs to toss everything together. Serve the Mississippi Pot Roast and peppers over mashed potatoes, cooked rice or cooked barley. Add a few extra pepperoncini from the jar if you'd like. It's also delicious piled onto soft rolls to make sandwiches.

• 1/4 cup water

• Place the chuck roast or stew beef into the slow-cooker insert. Sprinkle the dry gravy mix and dry ranch dressing mix over the roast, then place the stick of butter on top of the meat. Place the pepperoncini peppers on and around the meat; the more you add, the spicier the roast and gravy will be. Pour 1/4 cup of water over everything.
  • Turn the slow cooker on to the low setting, and allow the meat and ingredients to cook for eight hours. When the meat is done, it should be fall-apart tender. (If you choose to use cubed stew beef, it may finish cooking a bit sooner; check after 7-1/2 hours to see if the meat is tender.)
  • Use tongs to move the cooked roast and the pepperoncini to a cutting board. Use two forks to pull the meat apart into shreds, removing any pieces of fat that remain.
  • I don't do this, but you can: Pour the cooking liquid through a strainer into a gravy separator or a large glass measuring cup. Allow the fat to rise to the top so you can pour or skim it from the surface. Discard the fat. Pour the meat juices into a small saucepan, and bring it to a simmer over medium-high heat. Slowly sprinkle the flour into the simmering liquid, whisking it in after each addition. Simmer the gravy a few seconds longer until it begins to thicken.
  • Place the meat and peppers back in the slow cooker and pour the gravy over it. Use tongs to toss everything together. Serve the Mississippi Pot Roast and peppers over mashed potatoes, cooked rice or cooked barley. Add a few extra pepperoncini from the jar if you'd like. It's also delicious piled onto soft rolls to make sandwiches.
Hold the peppers.
Add taters and carrots and onions.

Yep!

I also like the roast over a big pile of mashed taters..

Mississippi pot roast is good and all but its heart burn central for me.

With most cuts - top or bottom round, eye - I like my roasts rare to medium rare. Usually that means 500 for 20 minutes then let it set another hour in the oven at 300. I've played around with a reverse sear in a pan but haven't quite got it.

• 35 YEARS OF BBQ EXPERIENCE | Harley's Texas Style Seasoning has been in business for about 35 years. We offer four blends of our seasonings, one to suit every need. The Original, and a No MSG version and a Sweet Rib Rub and a No MSG version of it also. Harley's Team has been competing and participating in many cook off's in Texas, Colordo, Iowa, Illinois, New Mexico, North Dakota and the Big Show in Kansas City.
Is the Lemon Pepper good ?

Mississippi pot roast is good and all but its heart burn central for me.

With most cuts - top or bottom round, eye - I like my roasts rare to medium rare. Usually that means 500 for 20 minutes then let it set another hour in the oven at 300. I've played around with a reverse sear in a pan but haven't quite got it.
Same here. Too many packaged ingredients. Package of this, pack of that... and those pepperocini peppers..are they the pickled salad peppers?
Thanks, but 8 hrs is way longer than I can wait to eat beef.

Last edited:

I have been in his trophy room, very impressive.

• 1/4 cup water

That's one of my favorite ways to eat roasts, my #1 favorite is smoking a chuck roast.

Latest posts