At least they encouraged buying beef

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
After seeing tons of vegans and/or greenies as well as politicians assailing the beef industry and beef loving public, someone goes the other direction.

A tip for websites that drop a blurb about needing a subscription or signing up before being able to read the article....
If on a computer or laptop, as soon as text or the headline appears on a website, click the 'X' at the top of the browser.
x.jpg

That, stops the website from loading cookies that are searching for a subscription and you can go ahead and read the article in most cases. I don't usually read anything from WaPo or NYT but sometimes I want to see what the opposition is saying and the x thing works on both. Also stops the "We noticed you are using an ad blocker" thing. It does not work on Wall St Journal.

What the opinion piece is saying is that if you look at serving sizes, filet mignon is not as bad a deal as it might first seem.
Some excerpts:

"Unlike some other wildly popular foods I like, nobody is going to say my endorsement of filet mignon (aka tenderloin) is contrarian. Everybody likes filet: That's why filet is so expensive! But I mean it's the best steak for you to make at home.

Filet's superior tenderness is why it commands such a high price. But it has other advantages, too. Its tenderness makes it very simple to prepare, because it doesn't need to be tenderized (I'll describe my preferred method below.) Its small cross section makes it simple to portion: Steaks around an inch-and-a-half thick weigh about half a pound, meaning each diner can have a whole steak without getting beef overload. And it's much lower in fat than other premium steaks, like rib eye and strip.

And while filet is expensive as beef cuts go, cooking at home is a frugal activity. If you've been cooking at home more, you have room to splurge on ingredients, especially if you get a good value on your meat.

You could pay over $30 per pound for beef tenderloin, but lately I've been buying tenderloin steaks from Stop & Shop at $18 per pound, and I've been very satisfied with the quality. At that price, you're paying about $8 per person for a 7-ounce steak — add in some rice or potatoes and a vegetable, and you're way below what it would cost to order takeout..

Go ahead, treat yourself

Filet has a "special occasion" aura, but how special does the occasion really need to be to treat yourself to an $8 piece of meat?

Rough day? Busy day? Need to cook at home and want something easy yet indulgent, without too much fat? Have I got the steak for you.

It's a filet.
"

The writer does pay a bit of dis-service to other steaks, (ribeye/tbones/NYstrip) saying they are too big for fatty for most people, but still, it's a good article that encourages the city consumer to look hard at what they are really getting for their purchase.
Everybody keeps a few taters around, or rice, some canned or fresh frozen veggies so it's only another couple of bucks to finish off a meal. Heck, I go to Whataburger, get a #1 cheeseburger combo (burger/fries and med drink) and I've spent $8 and change.
I love my Whataburger, but steak is steak!

I've never complained about a steak being too big. I have never seen anyone complain that a steak was too big. Get a to-go box.

Latest posts