Social standing in your town

Help Support CattleToday:

Had a friend attending a Christian college In K.C. and he told me the local funeral home would often come to the college to ask for pall bearers to help with funerals where the deceased didn't have any personal folks to help.

Towns half Hispanic, don't know many of them as they stay within their own group and don't intigrate . With the white folk I know a lot of redneck types. I have a good standing with most. The only one I don't is the one who screwed me on a cow. We just don't talk. But in a small town it's hard to change a reputation so it's best to just have a good one. Stay honest, fair and show integrity and I have not had a problem.

BK9954":2al5p00q said:
Towns half Hispanic, don't know many of them as they stay within their own group and don't intigrate . With the white folk I know a lot of redneck types. I have a good standing with most. The only one I don't is the one who screwed me on a cow. We just don't talk. But in a small town it's hard to change a reputation so it's best to just have a good one. Stay honest, fair and show integrity and I have not had a problem.

Most of those Hickspanics you speak of
we're in Texas when it was a Mexican state. I know quite a few in your area very conservative folk.

I hope to have enough grandsons, or husbands of granddaughters, to carry me. As far as social standing, it's probably somewhere in the middle. I have some good friends, and that's good enough for me.

cowgirl8":hgna0tle said:
hurleyjd":hgna0tle said:
Caustic Burno":hgna0tle said:
Be like mine have to hire five

Just hire a fork lift with an operator.
Pallbearers don't do anything anymore at most funerals. I have yet to go to a funeral that they carried out the casket...that's not saying its not done though, just the ones I've gone to and from what I've heard from others...
Then who carries them out? We carry to the herse and then from the herse to the grave and set on the thing that lowers coffin into the ground.
Have carried some awful heavy folks too.

jedstivers":269hi01t said:
cowgirl8":269hi01t said:
hurleyjd":269hi01t said:
Just hire a fork lift with an operator.
Pallbearers don't do anything anymore at most funerals. I have yet to go to a funeral that they carried out the casket...that's not saying its not done though, just the ones I've gone to and from what I've heard from others...
Then who carries them out? We carry to the herse and then from the herse to the grave and set on the thing that lowers coffin into the ground.
Have carried some awful heavy folks too.
I guess the funeral home service...someone other than the pallbearers, they are just for show. Maybe its a thing about where I live...Lots of old people with old friends..

I am not real sure what "social standing" is. I ain't been in jail. I don't beat my wife. I try to take care of my place. I want to be a good neighbor. I ain't the mayor.

I think you are really asking how many friends you have. I have lived in a lot of places, and always made friends in the suburban neighborhoods I lived, and at work. I have come to believe friendships are spawned by proximity, and social interaction.

I am now back to the area I was born and raised. Been gone almost 40 years. I sure don't live in a suburban neighborhood, and I don't work in an office no mo. Don't really have any friends here just yet, and it will take time. So if social standing is the number of friends, or how easy it will be to get pall bearers (and they do still carry folks here), then I got no social standing.

I like having friends, and I like my alone time. Too much either way is too much. On top of all that, I ain't the easiest to be around. I have opinions, and sometimes I share.

Then who carries them out?
Depends on what is paid for by the burial policy, and what the surviving family members want.
The casket is sitting on a wheeled gurney in the chapel for the viewing and for the chapel service, and most of the time, it's wheeled right out to the hearse to go to the graveyard..the casket is pushed into the hearse, the gurney's legs kinda collapse up under it and the whole thing slides into the hearse. Pallbearers 'accompany' it on that little trip from chapel/church out to the waiting hearse, but usually they aren't really bearing any weight. Sometimes, the same gurney is again used to wheel the casket from hearse over to where the graveside service is held, sometimes pall bearers carry it.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/01/ ... 116425.jpg
http://www.ocregister.com/wp-content/up ... .jpg?w=620

I've been to lots of funerals in the last 10 years, and in my family, all but one, real pall bearers actually carried the casket each time, but at least on time, they just went thru the motions along side the gurney.
Again, in both sides of my family, in recent years, it's been the grandchildren since all the funerals I attended were for elderly folks, and the grandkids were young adults. It's always been considered an honor to be a pall bearer.

I get along with most people, though I don't go out of my way to meet too many more.. Know a few people through the dart league, know a bunch of the hot-rodders, know the farmers, that about covers it. I figure if I need to meet more people I'll probably meet them through my existing friends.

"Wheels don't roll in these sand hills"
Here either, but at graveside, the final ceremony is usually on a covered slab, and there's a sidewalk from where the hearse parks to the slab.
Once the final goodbye is completed, and the last mourner has left, the coffin is left there on it's gurney on that the slab until the cemetery workers come to inter it. (Usually placed in concrete vault and then in the earth, via a backhoe)

(I was a pallbearer for a deceased active duty USN man in Louisiana about 25-30 years ago, and we had to lift the coffin up on top of a concrete vault, and then fold the flag with our arms up pretty high in the air due to the height of the coffin on top of the vault. They bury people on top of the ground over there)

greybeard":11k1nk4s said:
"Wheels don't roll in these sand hills"
Here either, but at graveside, the final ceremony is usually on a covered slab, and there's a sidewalk from where the hearse parks to the slab.
Once the final goodbye is completed, and the last mourner has left, the coffin is left there on it's gurney on that the slab until the cemetery workers come to inter it. (Usually placed in concrete vault and then in the earth, via a backhoe)

(I was a pallbearer for a deceased active duty USN man in Louisiana about 25-30 years ago, and we had to lift the coffin up on top of a concrete vault, and then fold the flag with our arms up pretty high in the air due to the height of the coffin on top of the vault. They bury people on top of the ground over there)

Not here GB had one last week and one tomorrow.
There are no slabs in these cemeteries over here.
Some are a long tote from the hearse to graveside.

I don't have a lot of persay friends. But I live in a small community -county. Most people know me because of my family. My mom taught school here for 31 years, my grandmother 49 years. I grow a pretty good size tobacco crop not a whole lot left doing that, but all the old timers did. So I get hows the tobacco crop look all the time from people I don't know. My family has farmed some of the same ground for the last 150 years. And my wife is a local vet.
I don't worry what anyone thinks, and I'm sure it won't matter to me if anyone comes to my funeral.

I must've fallen asleep and woke up back in middle school...
Social standing?
I could not give an af.
Stopped worrying about that lo these many years ago....About age 13, IIRC....

HDRider":fazhcgyf said:
I think you are really asking how many friends you have.

In a sense; that could be one of the things on the list. Do most view you as "one of the guys" or the guy that's a little different. Do a lot of people know you, but don't really know much about you because you're a private person, or are you close to most everyone? I suppose you already answered those.

I've also noticed something that shows what people think about you is the ability to get things done. I've seen two people complain or request the same thing, like some potholes getting fixed on their road for example, and one will be taken seriously and the other will just be brushed under the rug.

boondocks":11a7ymk7 said:
I must've fallen asleep and woke up back in middle school...
Social standing?
I could not give an af.
Stopped worrying about that lo these many years ago....About age 13, IIRC....

I assume by that answer that there are no plaques around town with your name on them.

I didn't intend to give you a bad dream or imply that you should be worried about it, I was just curious. Cultural things interest me.

I just know that most people like to appear outgoing and hung ho, but with all the people here who said they didn't social, which fits me too, I was just curious as to how everyone fit in with their neck of the woods.

I have lived in this community 11 years now, my wife has been here 7 now.
I keep a pretty low profile. I'm friendly, but not a social butterfly. Most folks that know me, know me from some agriculture related topic..or from the school (I'm the guy with all them kids). I coached football up at the school for a couple years. Got me known by some(some folks really liked what I did, some parents thought I was too hard on the kids) I coached the varsity throwers in track these past 3 years and my name got around a little more because we sent 2 girls to the state tourney this past season. Unusual for our small community.
Back to my wife- she's a social butterfly and knows everybody..i have lived here 4 years longer and couldn't tell you half the people she knows.

Latest posts