Ghost town

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
While my son and his oldest were busy looking for a big buck I took the two younger grandkids over to search for the ghost town in Morman Basin. There was a complete town with a movie theater and tennis courts. The gold mine shut down in 1920 which was the end of the town. I think what we found was the bunk houses for the old Sunday Hill mine. Not a single ghost was spotted. We wanted to find the old movie theater. We figured that Ghost Busters would be playing. We saw a nice bighorn ram on our way over there.

PA093053.JPGPA093054.JPGPA093051.JPG

Reminds me of shearers quarters beside old wool sheds. I always love walking through them, you can almost feel the atmosphere of the occupants rolling their smokes and having a yarn with their mates after a hard days work.

Ken

If you look up Mormon Basin on Google Maps and zoom in, there's quite a few structures scattered over the area. Be a neat place to take some horses for the day.

If you look up Mormon Basin on Google Maps and zoom in, there's quite a few structures scattered over the area. Be a neat place to take some horses for the day.
I have looked at a satellite view of Morman Basin. A lot more up and down than it appears on the satellite and the roads aren't exactly good. We spun out and ended up walking the last couple hundred yards to those buildings. And I had to back down about 400 yards to get to a spot to turn around. A quad or a SxS would be a lot better than my little old S-10. To take horses you either want a trailer you aren't real proud of or be an eastern Oregon cowboy (they will drag a trailer to places some people question driving a pickup to). We went to the buildings that I was given rough directions to. The man who gave me the best directions said it had been some years since he had been there and he wasn't sure if they were still standing. It is pretty high elevation and a lot of snow falls up there.

Latest posts