Jersey

Help Support CattleToday:

Over the years i helped unload on Sunday for a Monday sale at 1pm. We had a certified scale in a difference area of the stockyard where we weighed loadlots that didnt go through the sale. We would weigh some if we weren't busy and compare to the next day.
Most 500lb calves will loose at least 30 lb with some up to 50lb if they were fat and tender. I have weighed bulls at 2000lb that would loose 100lb.
Yes sometimes I will give more also because I know they have already lost weight.
Lets compare a 500lb calf at $3 to a 470lb calf at 3.10 and at 3.20.
1500 vs 1457 vs 1504. So the calf would have to bring almost 20 cents more to break even. At 10 cents extra you loose $43.
I know full well what cattle will shrink from here. We have started sending sale yearlings and cull cows 3 days previous to sale time. The gain back in shrink from the truck ride is recovered by roughly 75% and more than pays the feed bill. Calves from here are best weighed off truck asap and forward contracted. I've had 700 lb yearlings shrink 100 lbs on the haul and overnight before the sale.
Too many variables to send the day of sale.

I know full well what cattle will shrink from here. We have started sending sale yearlings and cull cows 3 days previous to sale time. The gain back in shrink from the truck ride is recovered by roughly 75% and more than pays the feed bill. Calves from here are best weighed off truck asap and forward contracted. I've had 700 lb yearlings shrink 100 lbs on the haul and overnight before the sale.
Too many variables to send the day of sale.
Big difference in weaned cattle also. Your correct in sending weaned calves a couple days before. The first day is the loss time. Then they get hungry and thirsty and go back to eating.

@coachg Looks like they have one in milk at the sale tomorrow in Calhoun. Video of her starts at about 1:36 . You ought to ride on over. Country fried steak gravy, mashed taters, green beans, slaw..... That's where I will be at noon tomorrow!

Seemed like a high percentage of bull calves ?

Not all Jerseys are sweet hearts, although most are. I wonder if Travlrs sheep aggressive Jersey was a free martin.
I would never put a calf in the same pasture with my kind and gentle gelding because he will chase, stomp and try to kill them.

Not all Jerseys are sweet hearts, although most are. I wonder if Travlrs sheep aggressive Jersey was a free martin.
I would never put a calf in the same pasture with my kind and gentle gelding because he will chase, stomp and try to kill them.
She birthed a calf the year after, so no. The guy said she disappeared the next year. He has no idea what happened to her. I think she saw a traveling sheep camp and followed so she could lay in wait and ambush them. Somewhere out there sheep men are wondering...

JERSICABRAH!!!

Seemed like a high percentage of bull calves ?
You mean high percentage in steer to bull calves, or in male to heifer calves? Lots of people don't steer their calves own here, and it doesn't affect the price much of at all., if any. A lot of the barns' market reports have 2 categories for calves: Heifer weight and prices and bull/steer weight and prices.

Last edited:
Most Jerseys calves are raised on bottles and imprinted on humans, as is the custom for 100s of years. If the aggressive cow was not tame maybe she was raised among a bunch of beef cattle and learned their wild ways. Was she tame to handle?

Most Jerseys calves are raised on bottles and imprinted on humans, as is the custom for 100s of years. If the aggressive cow was not tame maybe she was raised among a bunch of beef cattle and learned their wild ways. Was she tame to handle?
She was aggressively friendly if anything. Too friendly compared the beef cows I've been around.

No vaccines, no wormers, no antibiotics etc. Probably fed organic hay, grains etc.
It takes a pasture 5 yrs of setting idle to gain the organic status, if I understood correctly.

Ohhhh, so my Corriente herd is organic! You'd think "organic cows" be the highest, but they are the cheapest per pound on the report! That organic beef sure isn't the cheapest at the grocery store, though.
I know a guy with a slaughterhouse. He sells to health food stores. He buys animals from people that don't vaccinate or finish their animals with supplements. The animals have very little fat cover... and he hangs them for 21 days before cutting them. To me that means, because of the lack of fat cover, that the mold formed over 21 days gets into the meat. That means he either trims the rind to the point he's trimming meat... or he's sending tainted meat to his customers. I've never been in the room when they are cutting meat for the stores he supplies.

I've asked him about the lack of a fat cover and he seems unconcerned.

Not sure how you were reading it, @Warren Allisoton .... but the weighed cull cows were $30 to $139 with an average of 103...... the organic weighed cows were $60 to $145...avg 110.... so they weren't the cheapest...
There is a market here for natural animals... no antibiotics, they can have vaccines, but have to meet some requirements...

Not sure how you were reading it, @Warren Allisoton .... but the weighed cull cows were $30 to $139 with an average of 103...... the organic weighed cows were $60 to $145...avg 110.... so they weren't the cheapest...
There is a market here for natural animals... no antibiotics, they can have vaccines, but have to meet some requirements...
Yes you are right., But they are the 2nd cheapest on that report. You'd think they'd bring more than even a CAB premium, or Waygu.

It is very difficult to look at a market report like this and have an idea as to quality/type etc. of the livestock.
here vaccinated versus no-vaccinated can affect prices noticeably.

I am guilty of "chasing butterflies", so now back to "Jerseys".

Latest posts