My local vet closing on Saturdays

Help Support CattleToday:

I see it as it is his business and he can run it however he wants to. If it was that critical to my operation I would be learning how to palpate or using another method to check for pregnancy or getting rid of the cows.

You guys should consider yourselves lucky to have both a local large animal vet and a salebarn no matter their hours.

My "local" vet is 100 miles away and is great at getting meds when needed but no way a guy would ever have them preg check as he only comes this direction 2-3x a year, and in any sort of emergency its a 2 hour trip in good weather. Preg checking, calving issues, sick cows, etc is all handled "in house" lol.

Salebarn is 6-8 hours one way so whatever you put on a truck for there is a final destination. Haha

I don't know what the proportion of new graduate Vets are male/ female or other but over here the last I heard the females greatly outnumbered the males, where I believe they do a great job, very much by the book. The fact is that they are female and for most will become pregnant and then have the responsibility of nurturing their offspring, children to pick up from childcare or after school care, these are deadlines that have to be met. I know in this day and age their male partners are supposed to have an equal responsibility but more often than not this still falls on the female partner so a 9-5 job and responsibilities seem to be more attractive. This equal responsibility also flows onto male vets so very few of them with family responsibilities want to work outside the 5 day week, 9-5 job also.
There are still some dedicated vets that will go above and beyond but they are few and far between entering the system these days so as you see your old style Vet retiring or winding down there will be few available to take their place..

Ken

You can get any meds you need through a place like Valley Vet.com. you will need a vet to sign a script but that's usually not a problem, in my area at least. We've got a local vet supply that will bring anything from meds to a box of needles out in a day or two. Most decent cowboys will have access to any meds you might need.
Consider yourself very lucky to have that vet supply. As I stated in another thread we have a vet college with 400-500 students but not a large animal vet. Not even one that will preg check cows at the Saturday sale. In April we are sending 2 guys to Kansas to learn to preg check..

I don't know what the proportion of new graduate Vets are male/ female or other but over here the last I heard the females greatly outnumbered the males, where I believe they do a great job, very much by the book.
Of all current licensed vets in the US, about 63% are female and 37% are male. But about 80% of current vet students are female. So the % of female vets will go up as the old guys retire. Years ago, being a vet was man's job. Usually a country boy. The number of yearly admissions to vet school is fixed based on the number of vet schools and their capacity. Increasing that number requires expansion of vet school facilities, teaching hospitals and labs. Admission to those limited slots is based on college grades (need about a 3.5/4 or higher and courses including general chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, physics, genetics, biology, and such), GRE score and scoring of your veterinary clinic experience, recommendations from other vets and college professors, and other intangibles. In the past 25 years or so, the females have claimed most of the available slots. Majority of students choose a small animal course of study (dogs and cats and such) and don't even take large animal courses. Another issue is that new veterinarians typically do not have the desire to own their practice. They want to work for someone else and not deal with hiring, staffing and management. That has led to a higher percentage of clinics owned by corporate entities. A practicing vet that owns their clinic makes their rules about hours, services offered, prices, etc. Not so with corporate ownership. In recent years, many vet owned clinics have been purchased by corporate as the owner-vets retire. That comes with remote ownership and rule making.

Of all current licensed vets in the US, about 63% are female and 37% are male. But about 80% of current vet students are female. So the % of female vets will go up as the old guys retire. Years ago, being a vet was man's job. Usually a country boy. The number of yearly admissions to vet school is fixed based on the number of vet schools and their capacity. Increasing that number requires expansion of vet school facilities, teaching hospitals and labs. Admission to those limited slots is based on college grades (need about a 3.5/4 or higher and courses including general chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, physics, genetics, biology, and such), GRE score and scoring of your veterinary clinic experience, recommendations from other vets and college professors, and other intangibles. In the past 25 years or so, the females have claimed most of the available slots. Majority of students choose a small animal course of study (dogs and cats and such) and don't even take large animal courses. Another issue is that new veterinarians typically do not have the desire to own their practice. They want to work for someone else and not deal with hiring, staffing and management. That has led to a higher percentage of clinics owned by corporate entities. A practicing vet that owns their clinic makes their rules about hours, services offered, prices, etc. Not so with corporate ownership. In recent years, many vet owned clinics have been purchased by corporate as the owner-vets retire. That comes with remote ownership and rule making.
A clinic about 30 miles from here was recently bought by a company in California. The owner/vet had to sign a 5 year contract to stay and work. By then he will retire.
Our local clinic is owned by a very nice lady vet but she has no interest or time for large animals.
Both clinics are closed on Saturdays.

It is harder to get into vet school than medical school. First four years are the same know a lot of human drs who didn't get accepted into vet school so went to med school.
Another big issue is cost of vet school. Then expenses of owning your own large animal practice,compared to the cost most are willing to pay for large animals at the vets.
Most don't want to still be paying off student loans and business into their 50s. So for most it is a simple choice of becoming a small animal vet.far better hours and returns on time and money of vet school.

Consider yourself very lucky to have that vet supply. As I stated in another thread we have a vet college with 400-500 students but not a large animal vet. Not even one that will preg check cows at the Saturday sale. In April we are sending 2 guys to Kansas to learn to preg check..
We are lucky but we are also in cattle country. Surely a vet to give a script so you can mail order 3-4 basic meds wouldn't be a huge problem. We have cowboys palpate our cows. They are as good if not better than a vet. I'd definitely say they get their arm in more cattle than most vets.

We are lucky but we are also in cattle country. Surely a vet to give a script so you can mail order 3-4 basic meds wouldn't be a huge problem. We have cowboys palpate our cows. They are as good if not better than a vet. I'd definitely say they get their arm in more cattle than most vets.
It's not going to be a huge problem for me but for many it will. The vet will not write a prescription unless they have been to your farm and are comfortable with your procedure. The vets here made it plain that they won't be coming to any farms so no prescription.
It's hard to get anyone to palpable the cows at the stockyard. That's why 2 of the guys are going to school to learn.

Don't know if you would say this is cattle country or not but we have 2 stockyards and a buying yard in this county.
Regional differences I guess.

This discussion has allot to do with why I can't understand why folks say it's so hard to make a living in the cattle business. There's an obvious need for people to catch, doctor, palpate, pull calves, etc. Most young guys trying to get in the biz in our area do all this stuff for day money. They work the salebarns too. I told a guy at work the other day "you can't be a lazy sob and make it in the cattle business" and that's the truth. The days of running 75 cows and working 1 hr a day then hanging out are over with. Cowboys are getting $175 a day or $4 a head to preg check here. That's for 1 hr or 10 it's up to them to get the job done. $175 a day isn't a bad side gig if you ask me. All that is an entire nother discussion though.

The vets at the stockyards around here will do some preg checks on cows brought in for sale, but unless it was the day before and the vet was doing a preg check say for a dispersal sale, it would not be very well liked for someone to bring cows to be preg checked with the idea that only opens would go in the sale and the breds go home... just too busy.....

Most of the vet practices here have 2-6 vets in each and they are all very busy.... they all have emergency numbers for after hours and weekends for large animals.... there is a local vet clinic that is just open for small animals 5pm through the night and the whole weekend.... for emergency after hour work.

There are like 20 auction barns or better with in a couple hours of my house.
Jeezuz... Where I'm living now there were a lot of huge sales barns in major population centers and a lot of decent barns all over the state fifty years ago. Then some big money came into the area setting up operations close to the sale barns and buying by weight with no commission. Almost all the sale barns went out of business. Then the big money guys found out their business model didn't work as well as they expected and they went out of business. The sale barns have never recovered. The two largest ones in the state never reopened. Right now there are only four still open and two are within thirty miles of each other.

Latest posts