My deep though of the day (Dinosaurs)

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth":2av60gxr said:
One Foggy night my wife and I were driving down a highway. As we were approaching an intersection where a county road crossed the highway I noticed in the rear view mirror that our baby daughter had somehow gotten out of her car seat restraints. I pulled into a turn off I knew about just about 100 yards before the intersection. As I was pulling in I noticed a car go through the intersection on the county road without stopping. As my wife was strapping the baby back in it occurred to me that if I had not pulled in I would have been going through that intersection when the other car ran through the stop sign. When my wife got back in the front seat I asked her how the baby got out. She said she had no idea.
I'm very certain that if that baby had not got out of her restraint there would have been a terrible accident that night. Devine intervention or just coincidence? I don't believe in coincidence. Not at that level anyway.

Last Sunday, in the south end of Jefferson, I was in the right lane of US59 and came to the last redlight in town. Had just a few seconds earlier thought about changing to the inside lane. That light changes from green to amber to red pretty quick. I got stopped for the light (barely), the car behind me in the left lane went thru it at the last second at about 35mph, and 2 seconds later, an 18wheeler blew right thru the red light going about 50mph. He never slowed down or hit the brakes. If I had changed lanes and been stopped in the left lane it would have been ugly.
Dumb luck? Dunno.
Dang good thing there wasn't any cross traffic too.

Greybeard, you mention..."Dang good thing there wasn't any cross traffic too."

But maybe there was something that had to do with a cross that got you in the right lane!

greybeard":35733iq1 said:
Deepsouth":35733iq1 said:
One Foggy night my wife and I were driving down a highway. As we were approaching an intersection where a county road crossed the highway I noticed in the rear view mirror that our baby daughter had somehow gotten out of her car seat restraints. I pulled into a turn off I knew about just about 100 yards before the intersection. As I was pulling in I noticed a car go through the intersection on the county road without stopping. As my wife was strapping the baby back in it occurred to me that if I had not pulled in I would have been going through that intersection when the other car ran through the stop sign. When my wife got back in the front seat I asked her how the baby got out. She said she had no idea.
I'm very certain that if that baby had not got out of her restraint there would have been a terrible accident that night. Devine intervention or just coincidence? I don't believe in coincidence. Not at that level anyway.

Last Sunday, in the south end of Jefferson, I was in the right lane of US59 and came to the last redlight in town. Had just a few seconds earlier thought about changing to the inside lane. That light changes from green to amber to red pretty quick. I got stopped for the light (barely), the car behind me in the left lane went thru it at the last second at about 35mph, and 2 seconds later, an 18wheeler blew right thru the red light going about 50mph. He never slowed down or hit the brakes. If I had changed lanes and been stopped in the left lane it would have been ugly.
Dumb luck? Dunno.
Dang good thing there wasn't any cross traffic too.
About eight hours after the point in time when I began to consider myself born again I was driving through New Mexico with a loaded stock trailer on on the 40. I was in a spot where the opposite lanes of traffic are at a higher elevation than the lanes I was in. It was dusk and I saw a sudden flash of light. It turned out to be a car travelling at a high rate of speed in the opposite direction that had blown a tire, clipped a big rig, and was now turned perpendicular to traffic and crossing all four lanes.
I hit the brakes when I saw the light flash. The big rig in the lane next to me had been a little ahead of me and moving faster. That car crossed the highway close enough in front of me that I can remember the look I saw on the passengers face as they passed in front of me and they were airborne when they did it so she was eye level to me. They missed my front end by a foot or less and the back bumper of the truck next to me by a foot or so and landed on the other side of the highway.
The driver behind me was not paying attention. He locked his brakes and fishtailed in between me and another big rig and got within inches of me and wound up sideways as I was still coming to a stop. I came so close to T-boning him hat he couldn't open his door.
The lead truck and I both stopped to render aid but other than a blown tire and some suspension damage everyone walked away with no injury.
I guess you could make an arguement for luck if you are inclined but on that day I KNEW the Truth and I'll never be convinced that it was anything less than that.

Bestoutwest":33vw5efg said:
The one word I can't stand is "gonna." I'm going to look down on you if you use "gonna," I can't help it.
That is a colloquialism, not a chronically misspelled word. Your preference is for everybody to talk like robots?

ga.prime":396ysoa1 said:
Bestoutwest":396ysoa1 said:
The one word I can't stand is "gonna." I'm going to look down on you if you use "gonna," I can't help it.
That is a colloquialism, not a chronically misspelled word. Your preference is for everybody to talk like robots?

I'm sure there's something that you can't stand either, but it's a mispronunciation of the two words 'going to.' It is not a colloquialism as I've heard it in every state I've lived in (and so far I've made it to 3 out of 4 time zones in the continental US). I also feel the same way for 'creek' vs. 'crick.' It is spelled c-r-e-e-k. Two e's together make the long /e/ sound, therefore, when someone says 'crick' they are mispronouncing the word. Again, it's nails on a verbal chalkboard.

greybeard":396ysoa1 said:
Bestoutwest":396ysoa1 said:
Use it--like you just did?

GB, that was an example, you can't paint me into a corner that easily.

Bestoutwest":g2f0k9m0 said:
ga.prime":g2f0k9m0 said:

I'm sure there's something that you can't stand either, but it's a mispronunciation of the two words 'going to.' It is not a colloquialism as I've heard it in every state I've lived in (and so far I've made it to 3 out of 4 time zones in the continental US). I also feel the same way for 'creek' vs. 'crick.' It is spelled c-r-e-e-k. Two e's together make the long /e/ sound, therefore, when someone says 'crick' they are mispronouncing the word. Again, it's nails on a verbal chalkboard.

greybeard":g2f0k9m0 said:

I have issues with people that runwordstogether yaknowwhat im talkingabout bestoutwest

Bestoutwest":2nh1hjd7 said:
ga.prime":2nh1hjd7 said:

greybeard":2nh1hjd7 said:

You would be safe here as they are called branches i.e. Falls Branch, Bells Branch, Coontop,etc.

I'm repowering a Bobcat with a Kubota that had a Perkins in it. A friend comes out sometimes to "help". When ever I need to modify or fabricate something he wants to go home and machine the part. He has the ability to complicate anything! He has to have everything on a CAD program before he starts. I just tell him this is not a spaceship! I end up making something that works while he's standing there telling me how this part needs to do that, and then add this, then adjust that, then I can make that out of alum...

I'm sure he has OCD, or something similar. Must be a difficult life to have to have everything just "so" all the time.

M-5":18t9zxds said:
I have issues with people that runwordstogether yaknowwhat im talkingabout bestoutwest

Yeah, I'm not particularly fond of southern mushmouth, either.

Bestoutwest":1m7xsnwp said:
M-5":1m7xsnwp said:

No big deal. Haven't seen anyone invite you to move down this way either. ;-) I couldn't care less how people talk or type as long as I can understand what they're saying. I have a drawl that won't ever change. Most take it to mean I'm stupid. They're probably more correct than they realize. :lol:

TexasBred":29ybvmir said:
Bestoutwest":29ybvmir said:
M-5":29ybvmir said:

No big deal. Haven't seen anyone invite you to move down this way either. ;-) I couldn't care less how people talk or type as long as I can understand what they're saying. I have a drawl that won't ever change. Most take it to mean I'm stupid. They're probably more correct than they realize. :lol:

HeII TB they deduct 20 IQ points when we talk. I am trilingual myself speaking Texan, East Texan and Crossover that is where La. and Texas crossover each other.

Words migrate like battery to battree

Caustic Burno":39xja2gt said:
TexasBred":39xja2gt said:
Bestoutwest":39xja2gt said:

HeII TB they deduct 20 IQ points when we talk. I am trilingual myself speaking Texan, East Texan and Crossover that is where La. and Texas crossover each other.

I think the country has been conditioned to it through mass media, seriously. If you watch for it in television, you'll notice things, such as your big dumb rednecks are from the south, bad guys are typically darker skinned with a bald head/close cropped hair and some sort of small facial hair, and your white yuppy, suburbanite is usually the hero. It's not that you guys have the corner on the market for that kind of thing, there's big dumb rednecks everywhere, it's just that it's what society has come to believe through conditioning. It's too bad b/c there's a lot of good people in the south. TB is not one of them. :hide:

Bestoutwest":2zlv6y1j said:
Caustic Burno":2zlv6y1j said:
TexasBred":2zlv6y1j said:

I think the country has been conditioned to it through mass media, seriously. If you watch for it in television, you'll notice things, such as your big dumb rednecks are from the south, bad guys are typically darker skinned with a bald head/close cropped hair and some sort of small facial hair, and your white yuppy, suburbanite is usually the hero. It's not that you guys have the corner on the market for that kind of thing, there's big dumb rednecks everywhere, it's just that it's what society has come to believe through conditioning. It's too bad b/c there's a lot of good people in the south. TB is not one of them. :hide:

That is good.

TexasBred":1c2j3aup said:
Bestoutwest":1c2j3aup said:
M-5":1c2j3aup said:

the whole reason I talk or type is to communicate! So as long as you understand what I'm saying it's mission accomplished

HDRider":2vd0xbq8 said:
I'mfixintotellya'llI'mgonnahavetotakeissuewiththis.
I see this more and more often, as the populous moves to hand held devices.
I've watched (even here at CT) educated adults who once used good grammar, punctuation, and spelling, move from a laptop or PC to an iPhone and you would think they had suddenly regressed to being 5th graders.

Latest posts