My deep though of the day (Dinosaurs)

Help Support CattleToday:

D2Cat":1dn2pt55 said:
I'm repowering a Bobcat with a Kubota that had a Perkins in it. A friend comes out sometimes to "help". When ever I need to modify or fabricate something he wants to go home and machine the part. He has the ability to complicate anything! He has to have everything on a CAD program before he starts. I just tell him this is not a spaceship! I end up making something that works while he's standing there telling me how this part needs to do that, and then add this, then adjust that, then I can make that out of alum...

I'm sure he has OCD, or something similar. Must be a difficult life to have to have everything just "so" all the time.

I am like your friend. Mine comes from growing up and being told in school that I couldn't pursue a career because I wasn't "smart enough". They were wrong and I excelled in college after I got away from a bunch of ---holes. My profession required four days of examinations (8 - 12) hours each day. I passed one section (structural engineering - long span) without studying. But I cannot shake that little voice inside me that still has to prove they were wrong. When I have a repair to make on the farm I engineer it to a part that could easily be used on the space shuttle. I think I do that because I don't want it to fail and then think "see they were right you are stupid".

I will admit I think there is something wrong with me. I hope I am wrong but I am always counting things especially when I drive I will see vertical things like poles and count in groups of four sometime for a good portion of the trip.

Not trying to tell a sob story, just thought it might help you understand your friend.

red angus 2010":3lpdr65z said:
I will admit I think there is something wrong with me. I hope I am wrong but I am always counting things especially when I drive I will see vertical things like poles and count in groups of four sometime for a good portion of the trip.

Not trying to tell a sob story, just thought it might help you understand your friend.

Glad to hear you say this Angus..as long as I can remember I have counted things..everything !!! Birds flying over in a group, people standing in a group, cars in a parking lot. If there is more than one I'm going to count it. No idea why. :???:

TexasBred":1h9i55do said:
red angus 2010":1h9i55do said:

Glad to hear you say this Angus..as long as I can remember I have counted things..everything !!! Birds flying over in a group, people standing in a group, cars in a parking lot. If there is more than one I'm going to count it. No idea why. :???:

It must be common. I am always assessing quantity and quality. Driving by a hayfield - wonder how many rolls it will make? How good is that crop of tobacco? Wonder how many pounds per acre it will make?

Angus, I guess we all take something that happens in our life and interpret it differently.

When some one tells me it can be done, it a red flag syndrome. Get out of the way, because I will get it done, or die trying! And my goal is to use what I have at hand, but if I need something specific I get it (means going to town) I don't cobble things together.

If man made something, it can be made better. Once you see how it works it pretty easy to see how to modify something to improve something about it.

I have this mental image of how to accomplish something no matter how difficult it may be. I imagine if I was in prison and had a finger nail file what would I do? Start filing....sometime later I'd have a bar cut.

I go over this picture when I'm getting the twine out of a baler bearing, or clean the wadded up hay in the baler, or cleaning all the debris out of a water gap... Even cutting hay, I think I could put in one gear faster..then think...if something breaks I have to go to town, find the part, fix it...nope I'll just keep the pace and get it done without a breakdown.

Now something weird, I can stand and be talking to someone and often find a nail or piece of wire laying right there on the ground.

TexasBred":2mmw1i50 said:
red angus 2010":2mmw1i50 said:

i count the yellow passing zone lines (dots)

I like doing math in my head ... and making change easy for cashiers.

The joke at my house is that this is how my wife will know is time to put me in a home ... when I'm getting the making-change math wrong!

ez14.":xy97utpi said:
TexasBred":xy97utpi said:
red angus 2010":xy97utpi said:

How many do you need to pass

Craig Miller":3oz61asw said:
ez14.":3oz61asw said:
TexasBred":3oz61asw said:

How many do you need to pass
how many do i need to pass for what?

M-5":3oz61asw said:
what do you do when you loose count ?? turn around and start over ??
:nod: :lol:

no i just keep going tell i get to the next passing zone

ez14.":1milyd5v said:
TexasBred":1milyd5v said:
red angus 2010":1milyd5v said:

You need to get into a more comfortable zone. Obviously, you're driving too slow.
"Now the boys all thought that I'd lost my sense
Them telephone poles looked like a picket fence
They said "Slow down, I see spots!"
The lines on the road just looked like dots
"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7l7nDuj1o

greybeard":2h6rchg7 said:
ez14.":2h6rchg7 said:
TexasBred":2h6rchg7 said:
You need to get into a more comfortable zone. Obviously, you're driving too slow.
"Now the boys all thought that I'd lost my sense
Them telephone poles looked like a picket fence
They said "Slow down, I see spots!"
The lines on the road just looked like dots
"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7l7nDuj1o
:lol: i used to listen to that song a lot

I work out the math in my head when I am driving anywhere. I will see a sign say a certain number of miles to something and I spend the next several minutes breaking it down to how many seconds it will take to get there, then start over by thinking, if I changed my speed to 1 mile an hour faster.....

melking":3p0pdh3i said:
I work out the math in my head when I am driving anywhere. I will see a sign say a certain number of miles to something and I spend the next several minutes breaking it down to how many seconds it will take to get there, then start over by thinking, if I changed my speed to 1 mile an hour faster.....
my head would explode after doing that for a while! i need simpler things then that :lol:

melking":3ck5r7he said:
I just calculate "Do I have time for another cold beer". :lol: :lol:

melking":qehlpjok said:

Similar ... when filling up, I pre-pay for a fixed amount of gas / diesel and then try to figure out, to the nearest 100th, the number of gallons I'll be getting when I hit my pre-paid amount.

When I am mowing one of the bigger fields, I will time my mowing for once around and then try to figure out how long it will take for the 4th or 5th round coming up. Once in a great while I get close.

What a waste of time, I thought this thread was supposed to be about dinosaurs?

Lazy M":fvtclsh1 said:

It is, the dinosaurs were also very meticulous about counting their heads exploded and that's what killed the dinosaurs

red angus 2010":236229u9 said:
Lazy M":236229u9 said:

It is, the dinosaurs were also very meticulous about counting their heads exploded and that's what killed the dinosaurs

I see a change in this forum! Everyone is a comedian. :lol:

Latest posts