Inflation

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe, my niece and her husband were doing that for awhile. Quickly turned into way more meat than they could eat or freeze and niece switched over to show rabbits. That, is where the $$$$ was-show rabbits, until the pandemic shut down all the shows.
They got out of it completely and now are into weekend bay trophy fishing from what I hear.

Little Joe, my niece and her husband were doing that for awhile. Quickly turned into way more meat than they could eat or freeze and niece switched over to show rabbits. That, is where the $$$$ was-show rabbits, until the pandemic shut down all the shows.
They got out of it completely and now are into weekend bay trophy fishing from what I hear.
If I end up with more kits than I can eat, I'll sell some to help offset feed costs. Not really interested in making it a business right now, mostly just wanting a cheap and easy protein source on hand. Of course making a few bucks off of it wouldn't hurt my feelings, just not going into it with making money in mind.

If I end up with more kits than I can eat, I'll sell some to help offset feed costs. Not really interested in making it a business right now, mostly just wanting a cheap and easy protein source on hand. Of course making a few bucks off of it wouldn't hurt my feelings, just not going into it with making money in mind.
I've got a BIL that raises them to eat, and he's given us some. I just don't see the charm in eating them. I prefer any other kind of meat to eating rabbit. We ended up throwing it away.

By the few that had the skills to turn them into food.
I would have to try to remember the skill of butchering one and preserving the meat. Even during the depression there was a little money floating around but you had to work for it. An old man in my area raised chickens then told me when I asked about the depression that he could get $4.00 for a laying hen, when you could not get $10 for a cow. Ribbon Cane Syrup was a great trading commodity at that time. My Dad was a McNess peddler during the depression. He sold cosmetics and flavoring I believe. Women like to still look good at that time even if money was short. https://www.fwmcness.com/

I bought a 4 hole rabbit cage yesterday, going to get a buck and 2 does and raise meat rabbits. By my estimates that set up should yield 60-70 fryers a year to put in my freezer. If crap gets bad it will be an easy source of protein. It's something I've always talked about doing , the current state of the world indicates the time is now. We are also planning a larger garden this year. I have a nephew in law going to hook me up with a nuc of bees this spring so I can try my hand at that as well. There's no better place to invest your money right now than in self sufficiency.
Won't be long and you will have more rabbit than you know what to do with. At one time we had 32 rabbits, but they weren't meat rabbits. My son showed rabbits at the fair. Every time I turned around I was building more cages. I still had a couple after the wife and I split up; didn't take me long to get rid of them and the cages.

I bought a 4 hole rabbit cage yesterday, going to get a buck and 2 does and raise meat rabbits. By my estimates that set up should yield 60-70 fryers a year to put in my freezer. If crap gets bad it will be an easy source of protein. It's something I've always talked about doing , the current state of the world indicates the time is now. We are also planning a larger garden this year. I have a nephew in law going to hook me up with a nuc of bees this spring so I can try my hand at that as well. There's no better place to invest your money right now than in self sufficiency.
One good well bred and fed doe and one buck you will have to eat rabbit once a week to keep up. I know I did that for a while back in the 70's. That is if you max it out.

By the few that had the skills to turn them into food.
Robin eats well in tough times along with armadillo. Coon is real good barbecued as well .
Be hard to starve an east Texas boy out as long as he has a box trap and a 22. I thought a 22LR was a deer rifle until I was grown.
Had an old uncle would always say boy times is good when a rabbit would run across the road. He would say when I was a boy someone would been behind that rabbit.

Evidently, some people can't even cook a skillet of cornbread.........I know some that don't even own a skillet...
(I think they are probably members of the US commie party)

View attachment 13756

I'm a big fan of cast iron skillets too. We have at least four in the house. One of them was bought at the hardware store in Navasota in 1980, and the rest are all inherited from my grandparents generation. I wouldn't be surprised if they're 100 years old.

I've got a BIL that raises them to eat, and he's given us some. I just don't see the charm in eating them. I prefer any other kind of meat to eating rabbit. We ended up throwing it away.

I'm surprised to hear that. My father and I raised them for a good while back in the 1980's. I always said that any way you can cook chicken you can cook tame rabbit, and the rabbit will be better.

I look at the grocery carts of young women (families) and they are filled with frozen food. Young people have gotten away from knowing how to cook, unless it's on a BBQ. I hope they realize that frozen food got there some how.

This might not be the right place to post this, but here goes anyway.
Pat Goggins, Mt. rancher and editor of some livestock newspapers, one now is called Western Livestock Reporter. Pat is deceased now, but he always wrote a column for his papers. He said many times, "there isn't anything wrong with this country that a good old case of hollow-belly won't fix."

Of course, that was years ago, but it's still pretty much true. I just hope we don't see it in the way that has been discussed here.

Things which you can barter will have value. Ammo, fuel, seeds, tools, along with precious metals. I really think that in this country food will be of the greatest value. With such a small percentage of the population having a clue on how to raise, preserve, and even cook food just how will the others feed themselves? If the economy truly collapses in this country there are going to be a lot of hungry people in a lot of trouble very quickly.
I think you will have to shoot the masses to produce food.

I think you will have to shoot the masses to produce food.
I don't think I will have to shoot them where I live. If they are out of food they will also be out of gas. It is over 300 miles from here to Portland. That is a long walk on an empty stomach. In the summer there is a pretty good stretch of hot and dry. In the winter there is portion over the mountains with deep snow and cold.

I don't think I will have to shoot them where I live. If they are out of food they will also be out of gas. It is over 300 miles from here to Portland. That is a long walk on an empty stomach. In the summer there is a pretty good stretch of hot and dry. In the winter there is portion over the mountains with deep snow and cold.
He meant your going to have to shoot them before you eat them. I agree.
Natural resources would not last but weeks feeding the masses.

Latest posts