Food Inflation

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Prices of some staples have been driven sky-high. Some of the truly startling annual numbers from Friday's Producer Price Index:

• Beef and Veal: +59.2 percent
  • Pork: +34.1 percent
  • Chickens: +32 percent
  • Fish: +18 percent
  • Turkey: +41.4 percent
  • Fresh eggs: +31.7 percent
Shortening and cooking oils are up a jaw dropping 43.5 percent.

Not all food prices are up, of course. Dairy prices are down. Fresh fruits and vegetable prices have fallen (although canned fruits and vegetable prices are up).

Grain prices are up an incredible 98 percent

Prices should be expected to rise another 2-3% in the second half of this year, according to Kroger CFO Gary Millerchip on Friday, adding Kroger will be "passing along higher cost to the customer where it makes sense to do so," The Epoch Times reported.

The White House is blaming the major meat packers for the rising costs for beef, poultry, and pork, despite record profits amid the pandemic, according to the report.

"If we talk of 2022, it is likely that input cost inflation will be higher next year than this year," Nestle CFO Francois-Xavier Roger said at a consumer staples conference, the Times reported.

Yep! Within a year, all prices will go back to normal so long as every single person gets the vaccine and ALL follow up boosters.

Yea I don't think so. With some minimum wage being $15 every else has to go up. It's all a numbers game. Minimum wage goes up everybody that was making $15-60 will want a raise. Every has to go up to pay for the $15 an hour minimum wage workers. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
My friend that works at FedEx started out $12 something an hour 2 years later she said she makes $21.10. Quickest I've ever of somebody getting raises from $12 to 21. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Guess like fast food workers going from $7-8 to $15.

I haven't noticed any of that here and I do 90% of the grocery shopping. But I don't buy meat, eggs, fresh, canned or frozen fruit and vegetables, and I am pretty serious about shopping sales. Flour, sugar, cooking oils, etc regularly come up on sale. We have a big pantry which gets well stocked with none perishables when those things are on sale.

I grow a lot of what I eat so store prices doesn't affect me to much. I got a craving for beets today an ate almost a quart. Those peanut beans and incredible corn taste good also. Had stuffed bell peppers. okra, with potatoes as everything is home grown.

Restaurant owner in TV interview today said he's taken brisket off the menu because the brisket flats he was buying for $50 delivered are now $110 and sandwiches wouldn't sell at the price he needed to turn a profit.

Prices should be expected to rise another 2-3% in the second half of this year, according to Kroger CFO Gary Millerchip on Friday, adding Kroger will be "passing along higher cost to the customer where it makes sense to do so," The Epoch Times reported.
Do tell.. in what situation is it not going to make sense? lol

Yea I don't think so. With some minimum wage being $15 every else has to go up. It's all a numbers game. Minimum wage goes up everybody that was making $15-60 will want a raise. Every has to go up to pay for the $15 an hour minimum wage workers. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
My friend that works at FedEx started out $12 something an hour 2 years later she said she makes $21.10. Quickest I've ever of somebody getting raises from $12 to 21. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Guess like fast food workers going from $7-8 to $15.
My nephew 16yo started at McDonald's in fresno California last week at $16/hr

With some minimum wage being $15 every else has to go up. It's all a numbers game. Minimum wage goes up everybody that was making $15-60 will want a raise. Every has to go up to pay for the $15 an hour minimum wage workers.
I think the workers that are making $15/hr at fast food franchises are in for a rude awakening when they begin to be replaced with more automation and technology. No more will they be paying $15/hr for someone to take you order, instead you will enter it yourself on their app or on a touchscreen at the drive through. You will pay by credit or debit card, swipe it yourself, so no employees are handling money. Add a few more machines and then all you need is one worker that keeps the burgers loaded in the machine ready to drop on the grill. Then those unemployed workers will be the responsibility of the government (via the taxpayers) to care for and provide for. Next step is we need to raise taxes to cover it all. Politicians don't seem to understand economics or don't care.