Glad I didn't pack them tight

Help Support CattleToday:

I think maybe I won't lose if the posted prices are what mine brought. I won't know til Thursday. I guess my angle on it as a "loss" is this- they graded 3 vs. 2. The grader was nice and very helpful. He said they looked to have age on them and felt they still got a little bullish on me. He also looked surprised when I told him when they were calved- I think he didn't want to believe me. They were late July and August calves so I didn't think they were that old. They weighed 6-650. So my thought is by the time I paid to cut them, feed them til they healed, and got bumped from a 2 to a 3 I probably at best broke even. Don't get me wrong I am sure a lot of that is by mistakes on my part- that's why I post it here so I can learn. Also why I talked to the graders as they worked them. I want to know what they see so I know what to bring next time. They are the ones that suggested creep feed might would have helped me over the hump.

I understand what you say about watching them sell KT. I am not sure however how that would work to no sale when they are sold as a pen. Also they are not run thru the ring- I assume however the big buyers get to go back and walk the pens to see the groups? I do think they sneak off with more than a few deals. I have often wondered would we fair better in a non graded sale where the buyers grade them as they purchased? The grading process is not perfect and is open to a lot of interpretation as well as reputation- I have seen that first hand. A nod from the right regular seems to go a long way. Also if you are going to buy them back you have to know what they are worth and I don't have enough experience yet to say that I do. I feel like I have had a few go cheaper than they should but haven't had one "stolen" yet.

Thanks as always for your input and my education continues.

To be honest, I've never heard of a "no sale" at the local barn here. I've not sit through nearly as many sales as many have, but of the ones I've been to every animal through the ring sold, whether it was what the seller wanted or not. I've never actually asked the question, but I was always under the impression that a seller's only option would be to be the high bidder on their animal if they thought it wasn't bringing enough.

I was at a sale a couple months ago that usually only sells singles. They brought in about 15 or more calves at one time. They started the bidding and they sold for 2.70. The owner happened to be sitting there and spoke up. He asked why they were being sold in a group. The owner of the barn, who was sitting ringside, said he must have miss understood and thought that is how he wanted it done. The took them all back out and brought them in 1 at a time. They all brought well over 3.10. I over heard the buyer that bought them the first time say " Dang, I had a steal right there''. He didn't buy any of them when they came through as singles.
This is one reason I can see for watching them sale, just to make sure everything goes right. Not necessarily to bid to make them bring more.

When I no sale mine I just stood up and told the auctioneer No-Sale, worked good. And I wouldn't wait 1 hour to get unloaded, very unprofessional. And my calves are different than your calves, so I want mine sold by themselves.

highgrit":2pumhq8d said:
And I wouldn't wait 1 hour to get unloaded, very unprofessional.

You wont wait an hour there if you get there super early. I have seen the parking lot completely full with trucks waiting to unload and backed up the road you come in on there. That is why I go there early. I have found the barns here that sell the best have a pretty good unload time as many bring their cattle there vs the barns that sell maybe 150 head that you can drive right up and unload. There isn't that many barns here. You probably have the amount of barns in va within an hour from you. I think don't quote me but its like 15 here in va

It depends on the sale but if you have to unload 2500 hd about ten at a time it's gonna take some time. And when half of the cattle show up 2 hours before the sale so the owners can stay and watch it's gonna take some time to get them off the trailer even with the best of facilities.

I always watch my calves sell but mainly because I enjoy watching people bid on what I've worked so hard on all year. Its a learning experience really. If you sit through a sale and watch your cattle compared to others you learn what the buyers are willing to pay top dollar for. I honestly feel like most farmers leave a lot of money on the table because they don't focus on the selling process. There are a lot of beef operations around me and a lot of these guys just don't go to a sale. They hire their cattle hauled and they stay on the farm.
I bet there are more no sale calves then some people realize. Before I started hauling to Lynchburg I sold at a smaller local sale and regularly had to bid on my calves to get them up to the going prices. I've brought some home before but most didn't know I had bought back my own calf. I normally just fed the calves well for a couple of weeks and took them back.The second time around I knew almost exactly what the big buyers would pay for them and a ran them up to that and stopped. :)

whatever I leave on the table so be it because I pick up money others have left behind so I figure it all works out in the end. :lol: :cowboy:

Bottom line for me though is I worked all year on these calves. I'm going to watch them sell even if it doesn't help me in any way. Its very fulfilling to me to watch them come through the ring and watch different buyers want them.

Toad":1qzfhnw3 said:
Bottom line for me though is I worked all year on these calves. I'm going to watch them sell even if it doesn't help me in any way. Its very fulfilling to me to watch them come through the ring and watch different buyers want them.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well they still sold pretty good. Steers avg. 567# at 242.57 heifers avg. 518# at 237.73. Made enough to make my hay equipment payment plus a little extra so not to bad.

SmokinM":1bk0f7s9 said:
Well they still sold pretty good. Steers avg. 567# at 242.57 heifers avg. 518# at 237.73. Made enough to make my hay equipment payment plus a little extra so not to bad.
Sounds good for where your at. Heifers seem high compared to the steers, your heifers sold nearly as good as they would here, steers are about 20$ cheaper and that's normal.

Williamsv":1c1f3zz2 said:
I like to see mine go through the ring too, and see who buys them.
Does it not say on your check who buys them there? They do here, never thought about it but it may be different some places.

Steers were #3s and S1 the heifers were all #2. I think that's why the close price difference. They do tell you on the check who buys but it is just their number no name or location. If my steers had went 1-2 they would have really made my check book smile. I will see if I can't fix that for next load.

SmokinM":1887lhlt said:
Steers were #3s and S1 the heifers were all #2. I think that's why the close price difference. They do tell you on the check who buys but it is just their number no name or location. If my steers had went 1-2 they would have really made my check book smile. I will see if I can't fix that for next load.
Oh ok, here we use are names to buy with and then a number after that if we need them charged or penned different ways.

Toad":txfz68gw said:

I agree, I also know the auctioneer talks our calves up when he knows we're there. Does it help? I have no clue but it makes us feel good.

TennesseeTuxedo":3jairknr said:
Toad":3jairknr said:

I agree, I also know the auctioneer talks our calves up when he knows we're there. Does it help? I have no clue but it makes us feel good.
Yes, it does help.

denvermartinfarms":28sdpdx1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":28sdpdx1 said:
Toad":28sdpdx1 said:

Yes, it does help.

damn right it does.. he brought another 20 cents for a guy the other day when no one was bidding them high.

Latest posts