Glad I didn't pack them tight

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
Sitting in line at the barn and its a little over 80 but feels about 100. I didn't pack mine very tight today and I am glad. Had several around me with down cows and several over stuffed trailers. This 3 hour sit in the sun ain't helping them any. I hope they are still up in price. I will find out if my gamble to cut the Bulls will pay off. They took longer to heal than I thought.

I went to Lynchburg. They handle a good number but the grading pen/intake is slow. I think most sales are about 2k head there. I think I am going to lose on my steers. I think they were big enough when I cut them it knocked them back hard and held my grade down on them. Didn't help I quit creep feeding them because the mud got so bad around my feeder this winter. That's my fault and I will pay the price. I think if you cut them at 400+ you got to pour the feed to them to keep them caught up. Also doesn't help that they are back to paying more for bulls than steers again. Oh well live and learn I guess.

SmokinM":2298v6xb said:
I went to Lynchburg. They handle a good number but the grading pen/intake is slow. I think most sales are about 2k head there. I think I am going to lose on my steers. I think they were big enough when I cut them it knocked them back hard and held my grade down on them. Didn't help I quit creep feeding them because the mud got so bad around my feeder this winter. That's my fault and I will pay the price. I think if you cut them at 400+ you got to pour the feed to them to keep them caught up. Also doesn't help that they are back to paying more for bulls than steers again. Oh well live and learn I guess.
That must be a regional thing because here in East Texas, 500+ lb. bull calves take a $5 to $8 per cwt. discount to steers.

SmokinM":2n1g44jf said:

That's the only place I sell at smokinM I know why you waited so long in line :shock: I stopped banding because prices aren't that far apart so I leave them intact.

SmokinM":1000z08c said:
Your loss is more in the weight loss from sitting in line than you think. Also cutting them and selling just as soon as they heal is not giving them time to make you money. And nowhere that I go to the markets do they pay more for bulls than steers. Why would anyone, in this 90 degree weather, want to cut bulls instead of buy steers? Sounds like I need to come buy the steers. They bring .10+ more than bulls here. The bigger the calves the more the steers bring when compared to bulls.

I was there today to smokin....i was told a truck and trailer broke down in the one of the curves of the driveway and that slowed everything down. I took two heifer and a steer they were gert x angus crosses and none of the graded. I was told they had too much ear and navel to grade and be put with the other angus cattle. Its definitly a learning experience, i will say the guy i spoke with about why they didnt grade was super nice, and the two heifers didnt do to bad considering. Im still waiting to find out how the steer did.

SD1030, did you just unload them and leave? I am not pointing at you and I know many people cannot do differently but one of my pet peeves is people taking all year to raise a calf, doing all they can in good weather and bad, feeding them well, taking real good care of them, and then just unloading them at the stockyard and leaving. I will NOT sell a calf unless I am there to see it sell.

Yes KT i did do that and it is a lesson learned. To be honest i was under the impression that at lynchburg most of the stuff got sold in groups instead of indiviually, which lead me to believe itd be hard to no sell. I carried some steers to siler city a few weeks ago and i stayed for the sale to make sure they done ok, guess i should have done the same today.

I never watch mine sell for many reasons. I feel as though the duration I've sold there I did well and hot fair prices. Lynchburg sales start like at 4pm and there's been many times it don't end till 5 the next morning. I ain't ever gonna wait and watch mine sell there.

I do think most of them are graded and sell as groups. Thats ok if they grade, there is no way to no sale them then. But for the singles I want to be there just in case. I do like Siler City also.
Do they still not allow any cattle sales in North Carolina on Saturday? That was always strange to me.

skyhightree1":3dcw2d9t said:
I never watch mine sell for many reasons. I feel as though the duration I've sold there I did well and hot fair prices. Lynchburg sales start like at 4pm and there's been many times it don't end till 5 the next morning. I ain't ever gonna wait and watch mine sell there.
So what else are you gonna do all night? I agree they have a real good market but again I WILL NOT sell if I am not there. Do you sell a tractor without being there, a truck, farm equipment? I know the answer to that, so why sell your calves without being there to see?

Well gotta pick my kids up at 4 and its a 2hr 15min ride lol If I'm selling any of those its on my terms. once I put a calf on the truck its not to return back. IMO I may lose $ on one or a few but I'm not gonna go in the hole. I like Lynchburg I trust the market there and will drop get my weights and roll

I see your point kt, also see skys too itd be hard to stay til 5 the next morning to see them sell. As far as selling on saturdays in nc im not sure but i dont recall any sale barns ive looked into that have a saturday sell. As far as siler goes i cant complain i carried there hereford x gert steers there couple weeks ago and they done good i thought considering what they were.

I sold a load this year without being there. My first time, and I figured on taking a beating. But I was OK with what the cows brought. My dad always says, if you don't keep track of your money no one will. Sky, your going to lose big time one of these days. IMO

skyhightree1":oa5nj7kx said:
yea honestly everyone I know drops and goes
sky, I know lots of people do just what you are saying. I hauled some slaughter cows to market for a guy today. I have never seen him at a sale. I take them for him and bring him the check back that night. I make sure he gets all they are worth and today he actually had one old cow bring more than she should have. But I tell him I never want to hear him fuss about what anything brings if he is not there.
Sky, I bet if you sold a $200 set of junk plows at an auction you would be there to make sure they didn't bring $199, so why not do the same with your calves. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :deadhorse:

I just feel comfortable with the market and feel as though they do a good job. Kenny you gotta remember where I used to sell Blackstone .. my worst day at lynchburg is better than a good one at Blackstone.

skyhightree1":n2u5v5l4 said:
I just feel comfortable with the market and feel as though they do a good job. Kenny you gotta remember where I used to sell Blackstone .. my worst day at lynchburg is better than a good one at Blackstone.
Oh, dont get me wrong, I know they have a very good market. And I know how the other one is also. But anything can happen at a sale.
I have attended as many as 5 sales in a week and bought something at a bargain at every one. Wonder if the person selling that bargain even knew it was too cheap?

Latest posts