Glad I didn't pack them tight

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":342nq6r3 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":342nq6r3 said:
Toad":342nq6r3 said:
Bottom line for me though is I worked all year on these calves. I'm going to watch them sell even if it doesn't help me in any way. Its very fulfilling to me to watch them come through the ring and watch different buyers want them.

I agree, I also know the auctioneer talks our calves up when he knows we're there. Does it help? I have no clue but it makes us feel good.
Yes, it does help.

It always helps to have a legible "shot sheet" filled out and on the desk in front of the auctioneer when your cattle come in the ring :idea: The sellers window was always my first stop when I came in the barn. Well, sometimes after the trip to town the first stop was the rest room :oops: :p

kenny thomas":u47ce70r said:
Toad":u47ce70r said:
Bottom line for me though is I worked all year on these calves. I'm going to watch them sell even if it doesn't help me in any way. Its very fulfilling to me to watch them come through the ring and watch different buyers want them.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yep :nod: Another reason for sticking around for the calf sale was the sale barn would treat consignors to supper downtown at a bar/lounge after the sale 8)

I rarely took them up on it because after a late sale and usually with questionable trailer lights I wanted to get home. Usually just grabbed whatever was the day's special at the sale barn cafe while waiting for the check.

All you had to do to get the free supper was sign the ticket and consignor and family could have anything on the menu. The only restriction was that if you wanted an adult beverage with your meal, you had to buy your drink yourself.

highgrit":1at72wl4 said:
When I no sale mine I just stood up and told the auctioneer No-Sale, worked good. And I wouldn't wait 1 hour to get unloaded, very unprofessional. And my calves are different than your calves, so I want mine sold by themselves.

I don't mean any disrespect, but if you chose not to sell your cattle that day, did you end up spending and risking more in the long run than what the buyer was offering that day? You had: (1) the expense of hauling them to the auction...fuel, wear and tear on your vehicle, etc. (2) the expense of then hauling them back home (3) the risk they were exposed to something contagious at the sale barn and bringing that back to your herd (4) the weight loss from the stress of being loaded and unloaded twice in the same day and from being at the sale barn most of the day (5) even if you pulled them from the auction, I'm assuming you still owed some small amount to the sale barn for yardage and insurance for the time they were on the other fellow's property (5) the expense of hauling them to a second sale hoping to get a better price. As some others have said, I've never seen a seller stand up and call out "no sale." I have heard the auctioneer announce a reserve, but that's it.

So there is 3 trains of thought here.

1. They are going to bring what they are worth on that day, not what you nesicarily think they are worth.

2. You better stay and watch them sell so you can make sure you get what they're worth.

3. It's not worth the financial and health risk to no sale them so don't bother.

Our sale does give some initials of who buys them. Some I know. If I don't know, I call the sale and ask. I keep a record of each one that I sell and include the buyer's name.
I can get all this information two or three days after the sale in the mail, but I just like to see them come out and see who buys them that day. It is interesting to me to go to the sale.
I always wanted to go, but never could as I was going to school or teaching . I attended my first sale about two years ago and enjoyed it. I had been watching it on the Internet, but it is hard to understand. I can usually recognize my cows, but by the time the calves sell they are through broadcasting. I sell about three or four times a year. Have some calves about ready to go now.

It is very rare here for someone to announce a no sale. It is also rare to have a reserve announced. It is not uncommon for people to bid on their own cattle. It is pretty rare for them to announce the consigners name so nobody but the consigner knows who owns the cattle. Your cattle are selling too cheap, you bid. Maybe you bid once and have the winning bid. You basically just did a no sale. Or maybe after several bids you decide they are bringing enough, stop bidding and the other guy gets them. I know the auctioneer does not like announced no sales. They prefer it to just sound like you bought the cows. I also know that some people on here think this is an unethical practice. But it is done here most every week. It is one of those things I account to regional difference.

for years when we was milking cows if i seen a dairy herd was going to sale id call the sale barn and find out who owned the herd.because i knew most all of the dairies in our county and i also knew how they ran their dairies.

Dave":3db0dvvp said:
It is very rare here for someone to announce a no sale. It is also rare to have a reserve announced. It is not uncommon for people to bid on their own cattle. It is pretty rare for them to announce the consigners name so nobody but the consigner knows who owns the cattle. Your cattle are selling too cheap, you bid. Maybe you bid once and have the winning bid. You basically just did a no sale. Or maybe after several bids you decide they are bringing enough, stop bidding and the other guy gets them. I know the auctioneer does not like announced no sales. They prefer it to just sound like you bought the cows. I also know that some people on here think this is an unethical practice. But it is done here most every week. It is one of those things I account to regional difference.
I've only seen a couple in the last year or so being P.O.--saw one a couple weeks ago no sale by auctioneer, because it was so lame and poor no one at all bid on it.

Latest posts