fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

From the outside looking in I don't know how you can get the fence to look straight using a knot to tie. I always used a knot as a measuring tool so the fence knots would be plum. That was a main selling point to me for the use of Gripples.

M-5":31y6wm8d said:
ez14.":31y6wm8d said:
Can you wrap 12.5 ga high tensile smooth wire that tight? When ever I've tried putting that tight of a turn on it it breaks (I haven't tried it with the tornado wire yet)

yes it can be wrapped that tight . the first couple twist are loose and then as wire heats up the wraps get tighter . you make a handle out of the loose end. It take a little practice but it is slick when you master it.
does this only apply to using the tool? Or can you do it by hand? (I know the knots wouldn't be quite as tight by hand but i've still broke wire by hand)

all my end terminations are done by hand you just leave an extra 18" or so, then do your half hitch then you twist a 90deg bend last 6" of wire this makes a handle you go round and round the line wire 5 or 6 wraps then back twist and the handle breaks off at the wrap

ez14.":2uce9r82 said:
M-5":2uce9r82 said:
ez14.":2uce9r82 said:
Can you wrap 12.5 ga high tensile smooth wire that tight? When ever I've tried putting that tight of a turn on it it breaks (I haven't tried it with the tornado wire yet)

yes it can be wrapped that tight . the first couple twist are loose and then as wire heats up the wraps get tighter . you make a handle out of the loose end. It take a little practice but it is slick when you master it.
does this only apply to using the tool? Or can you do it by hand? (I know the knots wouldn't be quite as tight by hand but i've still broke wire by hand)

If you'll notice most all the demos are with a single strand wire. Or a 12" stay net. It gets considerably more difficult when you get into the tighter nets.

callmefence":1jue2cve said:
ez14.":1jue2cve said:
M-5":1jue2cve said:

If you'll notice most all the demos are with a single strand wire. Or a 12" stay net. It gets considerably more difficult when you get into the tighter nets.

on net i have a tool for that.

ez14.":1ugkf7tz said:

180ksi is perfect for hand knotting. All Tornado wire is in the sweet spot.

M-5":q9yv6wxe said:
callmefence":q9yv6wxe said:
ez14.":q9yv6wxe said:

Me too

callmefence":1smogmpr said:
M-5":1smogmpr said:
callmefence":1smogmpr said:

Me too

Ok top secret stuff here.

My old favorite
And my new favorite.

M-5":au8lwyg8 said:
all my end terminations are done by hand you just leave an extra 18" or so, then do your half hitch then you twist a 90deg bend last 6" of wire this makes a handle you go round and round the line wire 5 or 6 wraps then back twist and the handle breaks off at the wrap
Yep, like a little ice cream churn crank handle.

Lucky":ctnoj9ct said:
How are y'all joining or splicing regular barbwire?

We still use the western union. You have to spread it out about a foot on hightensil as you can't make the wraps as tight without it breaking. It holds plenty strong. If the wire breaks before the knot, you can't ask for much more.

callmefence":3p5b22xh said:
Lucky":3p5b22xh said:

We still use the western union. You have to spread it out about a foot on hightensil as you can't make the wraps as tight without it breaking. It holds plenty strong. If the wire breaks before the knot, you can't ask for much more.

Fence I've been unraveling the wire about 12-14" back then taking the barbs off. This gives me a V on each piece of wire. I put the Vs together and hold with pliers then wrap one wire clockwise and one counterclockwise then do other side the same way. This has always worked and never had one break. I saw someone do this once so I've done it ever since. Are you just doing a regular western union splice? I'm all for a better way.

Lucky":3d4vfzc8 said:
callmefence":3d4vfzc8 said:
Lucky":3d4vfzc8 said:

Fence I've been unraveling the wire about 12-14" back then taking the barbs off. This gives me a V on each piece of wire. I put the Vs together and hold with pliers then wrap one wire clockwise and one counterclockwise then do other side the same way. This has always worked and never had one break. I saw someone do this once so I've done it ever since. Are you just doing a regular western union splice? I'm all for a better way.

We use that method well my son does. It makes a very slick looking knot. We use it when we want a good slick looking knot. We use the regular Western Union mostly though.
There some pics in the knot thread.

Edit to add... last nrcs specs I saw actually required a Western Union splice.

NRCS has some good specs. Some I don't agree with but what are you gonna do. I'm going to try the western union on my next run

Lucky":1d5h2syz said:
NRCS has some good specs. Some I don't agree with but what are you gonna do. I'm going to try the western union on my next run

nrcs when i looked into it were 2 HT wires with 40' stays.

Latest posts