fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm":3fc2p57h said:
fence_it":3fc2p57h said:
Some 8' fence we wrapped up today. How did we do?

What are they trying to keep in deer?

Keep deer out. We perimeter fenced the property. About 3 or 4 acres. Customer likes to garden but all they've been doing is feeding the deer.

I usually do a pipe double H brace when building fence but was told that if the second H was a 45* kicker instead my braces would be stronger. I really don't know if this is true or but decided to give it a try this time. Well I'm have trouble fitting the kicker does anyone know of a pattern of guide for this or do you just figure it out over time. I could fit and weld a double H pretty quick but these 45* kickers are taking forever and the welds look terrible because of the poor fit.

Lucky":12bblxxi said:
I usually do a pipe double H brace when building fence but was told that if the second H was a 45* kicker instead my braces would be stronger. I really don't know if this is true or but decided to give it a try this time. Well I'm have trouble fitting the kicker does anyone know of a pattern of guide for this or do you just figure it out over time. I could fit and weld a double H pretty quick but these 45* kickers are taking forever and the welds look terrible because of the poor fit.

I sit the angled strut on a c clamp handle on the high end, and up against the stubby on the low end. Mark top dead center by eye, and make sure that mark is in line with the post when you mark the bottom of the cut. Cut the fishmouth with a band saw, and weld the bottom where it lands. No need for any fancy cut at the bottom end, because like Fence says, where's it gonna go? I'm down to 20 minutes to cut and weld an H brace with an angled strut......Shooting for 15 minutes.

Lucky":3gy82sng said:

First of all put the end of the 45 on the ground jammed up to the stubby. Don't worry about welding under side. It's not necessary. Cut one notch in the top ( half a saddle). A little practice it'll fit well. Hold the high part of the diagonal where you want it and mark the angle.
Cut it and then cut about 3/4 " off the tip. Again... little practice.

Second option.. use 3" post and 2 " for bracing. You can get your angles set and just make straight cuts with a chopsaw.

When you say '45 degrees kicker' does that mean an 8 foot post at whatever angle or a shorter post actually at 45 degrees?

ChrisB":30w0xpli said:
When you say '45 degrees kicker' does that mean an 8 foot post at whatever angle or a shorter post actually at 45 degrees?

Yea 45 is just term so folks know what the heck your talking about.

Make it as far to the stubby post as material allows. Up to 10 feet.
Height is somewhere around 2/3 up . We use some planning to put it were it won't be in the way. Depending on what wire we are using

fence_it":jajox5xp said:
pricefarm":jajox5xp said:
fence_it":jajox5xp said:
Some 8' fence we wrapped up today. How did we do?

Keep deer out. We perimeter fenced the property. About 3 or 4 acres. Customer likes to garden but all they've been doing is feeding the deer.

Is the knot in the second pic the correct way to tie off fixed knot fence? I put some up today and used the knot that starts with a loop. I haven't put much fixed knot up and if this will work it looks much easier.

Lucky":2i2o0881 said:
fence_it":2i2o0881 said:
pricefarm":2i2o0881 said:

Is the knot in the second pic the correct way to tie off fixed knot fence? I put some up today and used the knot that starts with a loop. I haven't put much fixed knot up and if this will work it looks much easier.

Depends who you ask. So according to me, yes. :cboy:

There is such a thing as a high tensile termination knot, think I've heard it referred to as a HT slip knot as well. That is what most say to use with HT wire.

I prefer just 4 or 5 tight wraps, no loops, the picture is a knot I tied with a geared wire twister. They hold absolutely fine and we put alot of tension on our fence.

I've actually heard a termination knot referred to as a lazy loop, and that it can create a weak spot in the wire/knot.

Thanks for the reply. The lazy loop is what I tied. It looks good but its hard getting the wire started between the pipe and the first wrap. I'd like to see some pics of hand tied knots on fixed knot fence if you have any more. Also wondering if the figure 8 knot is used for joining fixed knot fence or if the crimp splieces are best.

HT termination knots. Anything less is less than the best, although I'd never fault a guy for using his head and go with Gripples or a wire wizard. When I'm alone, I join plenty with figure 8 knots or something similar. Gripples and crimps are faster, and just as effective.

Lucky":20alr4jz said:
Thanks for the reply. The lazy loop is what I tied. It looks good but its hard getting the wire started between the pipe and the first wrap. I'd like to see some pics of hand tied knots on fixed knot fence if you have any more. Also wondering if the figure 8 knot is used for joining fixed knot fence or if the crimp splieces are best.

We use crimp sleeves to join wire, which are stronger than any knot that can be tied by hand. Also sometimes use them to terminate HT smooth wire (hot wire) $15 buys a bottle of 100 12.5ga long sleeves. I wouldn't try to join fixed knot wire together by tying, some people do it but it is far too time consuming and I'm not sure of the integrity of the join. If you were tying together, I don't think a figure 8 knot would work for that situation as it takes quite a bit of bare wire to do so properly. Gripples work well for joining wire also.

HT termination knots. Anything less is less than the best, although I'd never fault a guy for using his head and go with Gripples or a wire wizard. When I'm alone, I join plenty with figure 8 knots or something similar. Gripples and crimps are faster, and just as effective.[/quote]

This is how I tied the fence off. Only difference is I went over the top instead of under on the wrap wire.

I looked at buying the gripples that hook into the wire to speed things up but they were $68 for 25ct. If I was paying by the hour I might go this route but figred I needed to learn to tie the knots. Thanks for the help I'll have to get some splices and the crimping tools.

Farm Fence Solutions":1wuxozt0 said:

HT termination knots. Anything less is less than the best, although I'd never fault a guy for using his head and go with Gripples or a wire wizard. When I'm alone, I join plenty with figure 8 knots or something similar. Gripples and crimps are faster, and just as effective.

Luke. Do you use a tool - Kevin's guys have a small hand tool with a hole that they use to bend the wire into the knots they want? I can see using your hand would not work on all knots not to mention the long term damage on you joints.

Farm Fence Solutions":2qwenn71 said:

Looks good.
I don't do the little loop before the twist.
It's not necessary. A wrap and twist will hold. In fact the net wire will break before the knot will.

Do you ever put your hinges at a 90 to the fence line? It allows the gate to swing completely back against the fence. On the latch side I like the gate to hit the latch post so you can chain it tight.

callmefence":2sam377z said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2sam377z said:

Looks good.
I don't do the little loop before the twist.
It's not necessary. A wrap and twist will hold. In fact the net wire will break before the knot will.

Do you ever put your hinges at a 90 to the fence line? It allows the gate to swing completely back against the fence. On the latch side I like the gate to hit the latch post so you can chain it tight.

Depends on the customer and if the gates need to swing both ways.

Bright Raven":1v7jext4 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1v7jext4 said:

Luke. Do you use a tool - Kevin's guys have a small hand tool with a hole that they use to bend the wire into the knots they want? I can see using your hand would not work on all knots not to mention the long term damage on you joints.

Just my hands. It's not difficult if you use good technique. I've tied more than 500 per day for several days in a row on multiple occasions.

Can you wrap 12.5 ga high tensile smooth wire that tight? When ever I've tried putting that tight of a turn on it it breaks (I haven't tried it with the tornado wire yet)

ez14.":ld7jtztg said:
Can you wrap 12.5 ga high tensile smooth wire that tight? When ever I've tried putting that tight of a turn on it it breaks (I haven't tried it with the tornado wire yet)

yes it can be wrapped that tight . the first couple twist are loose and then as wire heats up the wraps get tighter . you make a handle out of the loose end. It take a little practice but it is slick when you master it.

Latest posts