fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

I didn't think I would get much use out of the teeclip gripples...was i wrong. They'll spoil ya for sure.
I didn't get near enough but..... I know where to get more. :)

fence_it":x74zl14m said:
callmefence":x74zl14m said:
fence_it":x74zl14m said:
My hands are raw after about 10 tie offs. Hard to teach tying like that to someone to. The tool wraps wire tighter than any person could by hand. I dont know if thats good or not but the lines we pulled this morning held up good.

We have Milwaukee Fuel drills with 5.0 batteries, they last all day and then some. :cowboy:

My fingers don't work right any more. I can't make a 3without using the pinkie, ring and index, I can't make a two without the pinkie coming up. And I can't shoot the bird. The middle won't come up without the ring and the pinkie. Which is my three. ...use your wire wizard, your gripples and your crimps. I'm telling you..use them

It was my dads idea to buy. He is 60 and starting to have problems, been fencing full time since he was 48 or 49, part time about 20 years before that. His wrists are messed up from running the post driver, too much repetitive motion. He is going to get alot of use out of this. Started using t clip gripples too, handy for the bottom wires.

It'll dang sure be a hand saver. I did beat a wire wizard on a 20 line deer fence a year ago, but I promise I couldn't do it at 60. Setup and technique have everything to do with ease and efficiency when you are hand knotting, and it's hard to teach. My dad is nearly 66, and ties the shyt out of knots in wire. As everyone knows, I like efficiency, and if something makes you more efficient and profitable without skimping on quality, I say go for it. :nod:

His wrists are messed up from running the post driver, too much repetitive motion.

It ain't the repetitive motion, it's the beating the Shaver drivers give the operator. If your old man will spend a few hundred on a wire wizard, spend a few grand on a post driver that is profitable and won't put you on disability. :bang: Why's everybody gotta fight me on this kinda stuff? :lol:

Farm Fence Solutions":1fv44z5j said:
His wrists are messed up from running the post driver, too much repetitive motion.

It ain't the repetitive motion, it's the beating the Shaver drivers give the operator. If your old man will spend a few hundred on a wire wizard, spend a few grand on a post driver that is profitable and won't put you on disability. :bang: Why's everybody gotta fight me on this kinda stuff? :lol:

I think his wrist problem is mainly from holding the post while pounding, too much jarring motion, wears away the cartilage in the wrist.

It would take a lot to bring us out of the Shaver fan club, I think my dad has a secret collection going :lol: , must have about 5 or 6 of them lined up in the corner of the pole barn that we don't even use.

We have been looking for a used series 2 or series 3 kinghitter with a rock spike somewhere west of the rockies. Found one in Montana but think its a bit overpriced. We have a local dealer here that sells them new, I think they start around $15k.

Make sure to get us some pictures and video of your new protech driver. I always enjoying oogling at fancy fencing equipment. :cboy:

fence_it":7tv7mqwa said:
Farm Fence Solutions":7tv7mqwa said:

I think his wrist problem is mainly from holding the post while pounding, too much jarring motion, wears away the cartilage in the wrist.

It would take a lot to bring us out of the Shaver fan club, I think my dad has a secret collection going :lol: , must have about 5 or 6 of them lined up in the corner of the pole barn that we don't even use.

We have been looking for a used series 2 or series 3 kinghitter with a rock spike somewhere west of the rockies. Found one in Montana but think its a bit overpriced. We have a local dealer here that sells them new, I think they start around $15k.

Make sure to get us some pictures and video of your new protech driver. I always enjoying oogling at fancy fencing equipment. :cboy:

Your dad will appreciate the Kinghitter. Once you find one, he will keep the Shaver around......just in case.....for a few years. Eventually, the thought of going back to one will make his wrists begin to ache, and the ol red Shaver will find it's self on Craigslist. I've seen this play out a time or two before. :lol:

Farm Fence Solutions":1lz4irm8 said:
callmefence":1lz4irm8 said:
Yep Somebodys getting pretty full of themself.

I know, right? I think it's contagious once you start participating in this thread. :lol:

You shoulda known fenceman. ;-)
I can't see a tracked machine to only drive post in my situation. Your driving a wood post for every single line post.
I build a brace where needed and a post every hundred.
You actually thought I should buy a danhauser vibratory. I might have but it just won't work well on a tractor. The shaver is the driver I'm familiar with. Plus it does a pretty good job in rock. The I-beam helps with the post banging around while you get it started. As long as you don't hit to hard. I honestly don't think you could drive a post in about 50 percent of our ground with your machine. Not straight anyway.
I've got a policy. I always tell folks what I would do. Not what they should do.
You probably graze your cattle on fescue. You won't see a blade of it here.
Pretty good sign it wouldn't be a good idea to plant it here. You won't see many snowplows here either. And you won't see any European style drivers either.

Yours is badazz though..... :nod:

For the record, I said a vibratory driver on a mast would be the dogs bollicks for pipe and t posts. That garbage on a loader just looks like a pain in the azz. And, yes, my driver is badazz.....and it works on pipe. Lol

True Grit Farms":nw0ji2y0 said:
I just see the expense and know all to well who pays for all that fancy machinery. Fenceman do you use 2 7/8 pipe as corners and stays?

I build net wire Fence a dollar cheaper a foot than anyone around, and use more expensive material. The equipment pays for itself.

True Grit Farms":1drng8g2 said:
I just see the expense and know all to well who pays for all that fancy machinery. Fenceman do you use 2 7/8 pipe as corners and stays?

If requested Yes. I've got a bunch on hand right now.
A good heavy wall 23/8 is just fine and we use it alot. Right now im using 25/8
New pipe. I ran into a deal on a bunch off it. It's dam good pipe. I could bring you some. M5 knows what it'll take... :nod:

callmefence":3c9iarzq said:
True Grit Farms":3c9iarzq said:

If requested Yes. I've got a bunch on hand right now.
A good heavy wall 23/8 is just fine and we use it alot. Right now im using 25/8
New pipe. I ran into a deal on a bunch off it. It's dam good pipe. I could bring you some. M5 knows what it'll take... :nod:

If his sweetie would let him up for air we'd pick it up ourselves. I've been trying to get pipe out of LA for years and haven't found the right contact yet. Most of the guy's hunt in Texas so I don't have much trading value deer wise.

a wood post every hundred? metal in between then? like ya say..never work here..a metal post on our sand will fall over from the wind blowing..just not enough surface area

dieselbeef":2jwnfas1 said:
a wood post every hundred? metal in between then? like ya say..never work here..a metal post on our sand will fall over from the wind blowing..just not enough surface area

As deep as these guys are DRIVING the post, the post isn't going to fall over.

dieselbeef":xeguk0xg said:

Stretch yer wire tighter, and it'll hold them posts up. :lol2: Do you have bedrock of any kind under the sand? I figured there'd be ancient coral down there somewhere that'd be a bear to get through.

True Grit Farms":2is4r2et said:
Fenceman do you use 2 7/8 pipe as corners and stays?
On those coat tails.....
Will 8' or 10' long 6" X 2" 1/4" channel iron Hs with the 6" wide part perpendicular to the wire work for corners?
My concern is that it is pretty mild structural steel (trusses off a 1940s or '50s building) and I have bent it pretty easily on other projects.

greybeard":ya4lu7ft said:
True Grit Farms":ya4lu7ft said:
Fenceman do you use 2 7/8 pipe as corners and stays?
On those coat tails.....
Will 8' or 10' long 6" X 2" 1/4" channel iron Hs with the 6" wide part perpendicular to the wire work for corners?
My concern is that it is pretty mild structural steel (trusses off a 1940s or '50s building) and I have bent it pretty easily on other projects.

I wouldn't be scared to use that as a brace.

Farm Fence Solutions":1vsf6g6e said:
dieselbeef":1vsf6g6e said:

Stretch yer wire tighter, and it'll hold them posts up. :lol2: Do you have bedrock of any kind under the sand? I figured there'd be ancient coral down there somewhere that'd be a bear to get through.

There's actually a little truth in that first 2 sentence. With a good hightensil fixed knot wire. It's hard to describe the difference until you've seen 2000' stand itself up with just a little bit of help.

Latest posts