fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef":3tz9cy1f said:
building I use a comealong...repairs I use a goldenrod..keep it on the headache rack of the mule

They're you go. Spot on The golden rod is more of a holding tool or for short stretches. It can also be used in place of the gripple contractor tool.
I can't stand chain strainers. A GOOD comealong and wire dog. Try masdan and more maker. Will out pull a chain strainer all day long. And it's easier to use and rolls up in one package. And I wouldn't say it if I hadn't tried both.
I have all four of above tools on my truck
Right now. And none are for sale

Goldenrod weakness is it won't hold up to hightensil wire. We are working on some harder jaws.

I never use the golden rod for new fence. I use the same come a long I've had for 20 yrs and a more maker wire clamp on new fence. I use the golden rod for quick fixes on fence breaks and a Texas Fence Fixer to tighten loose wires in older fences.

Lucky":w39zk5ti said:
I never use the golden rod for new fence. I use the same come a long I've had for 20 yrs and a more maker wire clamp on new fence. I use the golden rod for quick fixes on fence breaks and a Texas Fence Fixer to tighten loose wires in older fences.

I was a fan of the Texas fence fixer for a good many years. Hadn't had mine out in a couple of years.

I have only had a golden rod for a couple years. I love it. I have a leased farm where theres 1000s of feet of barb wire fence build through the woods and is nailed off to trees there might be a tpost every couple hundred feet. It makes for a fast repair when a wire breaks. But on new fences I have been building I use a come along

pricefarm":13pdxrcy said:
I have only had a golden rod for a couple years. I love it. I have a leased farm where theres 1000s of feet of barb wire fence build through the woods and is nailed off to trees there might be a tpost every couple hundred feet. It makes for a fast repair when a wire breaks. But on new fences I have been building I use a come along

I can fix an old fence with a golden rod and a western union splice and get it about as tight as it needs to be pretty quick. One of the old timers told me the fences in the country where put up in the 50s when land owners went from cotton to cows. Most of the wire is bad and the post are bodarc split in two with the wire stapled to the flat side. I'm trying to replace a couple thousand feet of border fence a year but there's a lot of fence. The Texas fence fixer is a great tool for loose wires that are too short to cut and splice.

Some fence I built this year. Any comments good or bad? First pic has a spot were I had to temp into an older stretch.

Lucky":2yt3hdy4 said:

Some fence I built this year. Any comments good or bad? First pic has a spot were I had to temp into an older stretch.

Looking good, straight and tight. I like to use stays in my barb fences. How far apart are your t-posts?

This is the last barb fence we built. 6 strand Red Brand 12.5g. Wood braces and all t-posts. One metal stay between each post. Not a fan of pipe braces, our soil here seems to be too soft for them.

fence_it":1ncal2tq said:
Lucky":1ncal2tq said:

Looking good, straight and tight. I like to use stays in my barb fences. How far apart are your t-posts?

10' spacing on T post and a pipe line post every 60'. I have a driver for pipe so started using all pipe braces and line post. Before I did wood braces and both work well. I noticed the line post weren't installed in the pics, we always do them last.

fence_it":22w0roal said:
This is the last barb fence we built. 6 strand Red Brand 12.5g. Wood braces and all t-posts. One metal stay between each post. Not a fan of pipe braces, our soil here seems to be too soft for them.

What size posts are you using for your bracing?

Farm Fence Solutions":14vyfk44 said:
fence_it":14vyfk44 said:

What size posts are you using for your bracing?

4"x8'. The rail is a 10'.

I think I'm crazy because building fence is one of my favorite things to do when it comes to improvements. I may post a few more pics I'm always looking for ways to improve. I still have a little trouble getting long stetches straight.

Lucky":1jdpmz4h said:
I think I'm crazy because building fence is one of my favorite things to do when it comes to improvements. I may post a few more pics I'm always looking for ways to improve. I still have a little trouble getting long stetches straight.

Feel free to come by my place and have all the fun you want anytime :)

fence_it":2sky4po7 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2sky4po7 said:

We got one of our supply issues lined out this spring.

Why galvanized pipe instead of regular oil pipe?

Several reasons, I suppose. With class III posts, wire, and post clips, it should be a 60 year fence. No blowouts or sludge covered posts, pre cut, plenty available so long as I buy enough at one time, end up the same cost as drill stem if you count your time and miles. I like 10' or longer for strainers, and they are getting hard to come by and pretty expensive for anything that'll last. We've almost always used galvanized on game fence jobs, but never could talk stockmen into it until recently. On a side note, if anybody east of the big river needs any, I can drop ship from my supplier and it's usually just $25 for delivery.....even on small orders. I've got a friend making post clips now, too. (Dancing jalapino)

Farm Fence Solutions":3pd7fm6i said:
fence_it":3pd7fm6i said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3pd7fm6i said:

We got one of our supply issues lined out this spring.

Why galvanized pipe instead of regular oil pipe?

Several reasons, I suppose. With class III posts, wire, and post clips, it should be a 60 year fence. No blowouts or sludge covered posts, pre cut, plenty available so long as I buy enough at one time, end up the same cost as drill stem if you count your time and miles. I like 10' or longer for strainers, and they are getting hard to come by and pretty expensive for anything that'll last. We've almost always used galvanized on game fence jobs, but never could talk stockmen into it until recently. On a side note, if anybody east of the big river needs any, I can drop ship from my supplier and it's usually just $25 for delivery.....even on small orders. I've got a friend making post clips now, too. (Dancing jalapino)

Have you ever built any diagonal or angle braces out of pipe?

Latest posts