DVF Visit

Help Support CattleToday:

CreekAngus

Reaction score
I'm out in Tennessee for a visit and took a trip to Deer Valley Farms. One of the things I love about the Angus industry are the relationships and people. They have no real tangible reason to spend two hours with a knucklehead and his two daughters, but they did and they made us feel like treasured customers. The herd manager (Clay) spent two hours with us, driving the 5000 acre farm, showing us the facilities. The highlight for me was having All In throw hay at me as I walked up to him and seeing MGR Treasure's dam in pasture. Even though they are selling off cattle 5 years and older, they do have a pen for the Grandma's who won't be leaving. Their reason for cutting the older cattle, is space, they have over 2600 head (2632 the exact number) and with two calving seasons, they are at max capacity. It was interesting to find out their GM, JP is on the AAA board and the new epd's have jacked up some of their cattle. DVF does breed towards epd's and the numbers are fully in mind when making selections. Their herd is over 60% et, with the remaining being primarily covered cows and heifers that didn't take to et. There isn't a pasture without multiple creep feeders, they love them some creep. Lastly it appears the next great thing from DVF is a Colonel son. Really enjoyed seeing their operation.

Probably the coolest part of the whole adventure; Clay took time to look up some of my cattle on the AAA and wanted to see pictures of them. He stated my All In daughter was superior to any All In's they had, depth of rib and length, they would be contacting me, asked me for my business card. I think he was just making me blush, but it was a pretty cool moment.

jscunn said:
any sire groups impress you or not impress you?

They don't have them split up by sire groups, but Clay can point out a calf in a second, knows exactly who the sire and dams are. Here's what he told me, Colonel has been hit and miss, but when he hits, he hits darn good. Growth Fund has been consistently good, claim he was the best bull they ever raised (phenotype) and his sons might top the sale, but it appears to be two Colonel's fighting for that spot. All In is as expected, great female maker, not much of a bull maker. Playbook had five or six of his sons in their high end bull pen, they move their top 20 for the sale close to a pen near the sale barn, at this time of year. Clay told me Playbook was probably just a tier down from Growth Fund on quality through and through. Patriot was mentioned a few times, but there was no glean in the eye like he had for Growth Fund and Playbook. I really wanted to see Old Hickory, but he died last week after he fell in a creek. It sounds like DVF didn't use him as much as other co-op farms did. Some of their cover bulls aren't in any catalogs, bulls they sold to local farms that they retained the ability to use them for a season. I thought that was very insightful, because we all get caught up in the big names in the catalogs and here they are covering with bulls we will never see a straw of semen out of.

Another thought to share, DVF owned Weigh Up, Clay said hands down the best set of feet he's ever seen on an animal. We all like to discuss feet, which is one thing he really focused in on with me. They are really conscience of quality of foot and most of that starts with their mineral program, which he shared with me. One thing I love about the Angus industry, these "big" farms don't hold secrets, they treat everyone like they got 50k to blow on a bull and share their wealth of knowledge. I know this, I'm buying semen from one of their bulls and in an year or two will purchase some embryos.

Any comments on playbooks feet? I've been considering using him on consensus influenced cows and heifers.
His numbers have really changed since last time I looked him up.

T & B farms said:
Any comments on playbooks feet? I've been considering using him on consensus influenced cows and heifers.
His numbers have really changed since last time I looked him up.

I noticed his epd's have been plunging and I expected it, started out a lot like Tour of Duty. One of the yearling bulls I spotted immediately, because of shape, was a Playbook son. Clay said they hadn't seen any feet issues out to Playbook and he sired some of the most consistent cattle, right there with Growth Fund. The Playbook sons had the appearance of Payweight, deep, deep, deep.

I forgot Wall Street, JP the GM is partial to Wall Street, thinks he produces the most balanced offspring. The herd manage Clay is partial to Growth Fund.

CreekAngus said:
jscunn said:
any sire groups impress you or not impress you?

They don't have them split up by sire groups, but Clay can point out a calf in a second, knows exactly who the sire and dams are. Here's what he told me, Colonel has been hit and miss, but when he hits, he hits darn good. Growth Fund has been consistently good, claim he was the best bull they ever raised (phenotype) and his sons might top the sale, but it appears to be two Colonel's fighting for that spot. All In is as expected, great female maker, not much of a bull maker. Playbook had five or six of his sons in their high end bull pen, they move their top 20 for the sale close to a pen near the sale barn, at this time of year. Clay told me Playbook was probably just a tier down from Growth Fund on quality through and through. Patriot was mentioned a few times, but there was no glean in the eye like he had for Growth Fund and Playbook. I really wanted to see Old Hickory, but he died last week after he fell in a creek. It sounds like DVF didn't use him as much as other co-op farms did. Some of their cover bulls aren't in any catalogs, bulls they sold to local farms that they retained the ability to use them for a season. I thought that was very insightful, because we all get caught up in the big names in the catalogs and here they are covering with bulls we will never see a straw of semen out of.

Baldridge Colonel C251 has been superb for us. TT and Raven both saw our Colonel daughters in person and I think they would agree, or I could be wrong.

Here is one of them, she will be bred to SAV America 8018 in December of this year.

[image]341[/image]

Here is her video

http://bit.ly/2ZXfHeJ

She was flat out gorgeous.

For the record, your cattle are not nearly as conditioned as they appear in some of the pictures you've posted. They aren't starving by any means but they are not obese like I accused them of being early on.

TennesseeTuxedo said:

For the record, your cattle are not nearly as conditioned as they appear in some of the pictures you've posted. They aren't starving by any means but they are not obese like I accused them of being early on.

Thank you for clearing the air on this contentious issue.

************* said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

And as much as it pains me to admit it, I have cows that are larger than yours frame wise. Heaven forbid how big they'd be if I feed them any grain.

************* said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Clay told me Colonel was really a hit and miss for them. Either outstanding or subpar, it happens, many a bull has been accused of such.

Latest posts