Visit to JMS Polled Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Baldie Maker

Reaction score
I came home this weekend to make a visit to see the JMS cattle. I had viewed them earlier in the year when the cows were dry, but wanted to see them with wet udders and Danny urged to me to come back and see them that way aswell. I was able to walk through the sale bulls with him again and they are only getting better.

The highest weaning and yearling bull in the group of 35.

Another top performer in the group.

One of my personal favorites of the sale group that's out of a first calf heifer.

Cow 349 with her heifer calf. she's a 7 yr old.

A 5 yr old cow with her bull calf in front of her. cow 516

A 6 yr old with an explosive bull calf. cow 451

A super shot of a 4 yr old cow with her bull calf; cow 645 and is a daughter of 451

a 5 yr old cow with her heifer calf.

Go back and edit the word "thumbs" out and insert "medium" - then we can view your pictures without the need of a microscope.

Baldie Maker":22rpp79y said:
I came home this weekend to make a visit to see the JMS cattle. I had viewed them earlier in the year when the cows were dry, but wanted to see them with wet udders and Danny urged to me to come back and see them that way aswell. I was able to walk through the sale bulls with him again and they are only getting better.

The highest weaning and yearling bull in the group of 35.
035B.jpg

Another top performer in the group.
022B.jpg

One of my personal favorites of the sale group that's out of a first calf heifer.
0059.JPG

Cow 349 with her heifer calf. she's a 7 yr old.
033B.jpg

A 5 yr old cow with her bull calf in front of her. cow 516
043B.jpg

A 6 yr old with an explosive bull calf. cow 451
0241.JPG

A super shot of a 4 yr old cow with her bull calf; cow 645 and is a daughter of 451
030B.jpg

a 5 yr old cow with her heifer calf.
036B.jpg

have you got another pic of that bull calf from the 451 cow? I think he looks like a good bull prospect for his age.

I like how atractive the 349 cow is to bad she looks like she slopes to much from hooks to pins.or is that just my imagination?

JHH":1zerqep8 said:
have you got another pic of that bull calf from the 451 cow? I think he looks like a good bull prospect for his age.

I like how atractive the 349 cow is to bad she looks like she slopes to much from hooks to pins.or is that just my imagination?

JHH, I will have to get another picture of the 041 calf for you. He was born on 8/22 and weighed 82 lbs.
As for the 349 cow, you can see a better picture of her taken last year on the website www.jmsvictordomino.com
She is the first cow pictured under the cow herd tab.

DM

The pedigrees look solid Victor. That is really impressive. Good looking cattle. Your doing a great job. Alot of the "Victor" cattle I see in ads anymore usually have a line cross back there somewhere, its good to see closed line Victors being produced and produced very well.

alexfarms":4timrdzn said:
The pedigrees look solid Victor. That is really impressive. Good looking cattle. Your doing a great job. Alot of the "Victor" cattle I see in ads anymore usually have a line cross back there somewhere, its good to see closed line Victors being produced and produced very well.

Thank you for the complements, as most know, breeding cattle is a never ending process and many have devoted lifetimes
in their quest to reach their goals, whatever they may be. As a bloodline (Victor for instance) gets diluted over time, it is easy
for some to call a animal Victor that has a very small percentage in it. They also like to advertise that their cow herd is Victor
based due to the high maternal qualities, but you cannot find any of this breeding in their pedigrees.
I know that these cattle cannot do it all, but the line-breeding has built in the consistency and predictability and their strengths
can be used as a tool to help folks with issues such as birth weight and milking ability.
DM

1982vett":1z8z8cyn said:
Go back and edit the word "thumbs" out and insert "medium" - then we can view your pictures without the need of a microscope.
Or just click on each picture...they pop up nice and big.

mrvictordomino":1bpldx9j said:
alexfarms":1bpldx9j said:

Thank you for the complements, as most know, breeding cattle is a never ending process and many have devoted lifetimes
in their quest to reach their goals, whatever they may be. As a bloodline (Victor for instance) gets diluted over time, it is easy
for some to call a animal Victor that has a very small percentage in it. They also like to advertise that their cow herd is Victor
based due to the high maternal qualities, but you cannot find any of this breeding in their pedigrees.
I know that these cattle cannot do it all, but the line-breeding has built in the consistency and predictability and their strengths
can be used as a tool to help folks with issues such as birth weight and milking ability.
DM

Great to hear a purebred breeder with his "head on straight". No line can do it all and no breed can do it all. I think that was so much of the problem with the Hereford breed, they tried to do everything instead of building on their efficiency and maternal advantages. When they started trying to breed them into continentals the trouble started in earnest.

As a Texas breeder, something I am focusing on is cattle that will shed off early in the spring. I know my herd is to small to be a representative sample but I notice time and again that the cows that slick up the soonest always raise the best calves, and those that retain winter hair into May or June have the poorest calves.

Here in KY we know the advantages and necessity for cattle to be able to shed off early.
With hot, humid summers and fescue grass, cattle that do not shed really have a hard time
and it does have a major impact on performance. These cattle do very well in Texas as well WLM
Sent a small group of heifers to Kaufman, TX several years ago and several made DOD.
These cattle have also performed well out west as well.

Here are some more Victor Domino cows with new fall calves taken this evening. JHH I still owe you
some bull calf pictures...When I can get them.

310 7 year old

353 7 year old

104 9 year old

044 10 year old

564 5 yearold

429 6 year old

658 4 year old

664 4 year old

I think I like the first one and the last one the best out of those photos. I bet if I came and looked I might change my mind, meaning they are all very good cows.

how big are those girls? frame 6?

JHH":44iohl07 said:
I think I like the first one and the last one the best out of those photos. I bet if I came and looked I might change my mind, meaning they are all very good cows.

how big are those girls? frame 6?

There not really suppose to be frame 6 cattle, I like to say they are 5 to 5.5 but not to say there
could be some reach 6. I definitely want to stay below 6.
DM

I have had alot of others tell me my cows are small. I weighed a few of them this weekend. I guess I don't know what small is anymore. It takes a pretty small cow to mature out under 1200#.

alexfarms":g0mmjl1u said:
I have had alot of others tell me my cows are small. I weighed a few of them this weekend. I guess I don't know what small is anymore. It takes a pretty small cow to mature out under 1200#.

I agree, these cows are in real good condition being fall calvers, they will pull
down some through out the winter. I will try and weigh some of these later.

Finally got more pictures of bull calf out of 451 cow promised earlier in the thread.
Sire of calf also pictured.
Calf 041 4 1/2 weeks old

Calf's sire 509

yes, they look good. Just to put them in perspective, what was the first one's birth weight and what did the top yearling weight bull weigh this year?

alexfarms":1e3mdn6b said:
yes, they look good. Just to put them in perspective, what was the first one's birth weight and what did the top yearling weight bull weigh this year?
All calf pictures were the same calf, calved on 8/22 birth weight 82 lbs.
The bulls are developed in large pastures and the are supplemented with a 13% protein ration.
Heaviest bull was 1180 lbs.

Latest posts