A.I question

Help Support CattleToday:

Dsth said:
the GnRH isn't a big deal. some years I use it and some years I do not. have not noticed any difference between the two. If you see any signs of heat like clear mucus discharge or her walking around smelling other cows, you can breed and hope for the best. if no signs, I would insert a CIDR and lute.

I gave her GnRH and then lute 7 days later and she still never came in so I AIed her 72 hours after lute

TB521 said:
TwoByrdsMG said:
TB-- draw blood at 28 days bred and send it off to SEK Genetics for Biopryn. Fastest, cheapest way to find out who's pregnant and who needs more attention.

I've been watching for heat have had 2 out of 10 so far comeback into heat. It's been 22 days since the first one I bred and 19 since TAI. I preg check in the fall and do it my self I hate paying for something I can do my self

95% of people cannot detect a calf that is less than 90 days along. It cost $2.60 per cow to test for pregnancy with Biopryn and you can do it at 28 days bred. Just because they didn't show signs of heat doesn't mean that they are bred. It is my preference but I do wish you luck in getting everyone settled.

TwoByrdsMG said:
TB521 said:
TwoByrdsMG said:
TB-- draw blood at 28 days bred and send it off to SEK Genetics for Biopryn. Fastest, cheapest way to find out who's pregnant and who needs more attention.

I've been watching for heat have had 2 out of 10 so far comeback into heat. It's been 22 days since the first one I bred and 19 since TAI. I preg check in the fall and do it my self I hate paying for something I can do my self

95% of people cannot detect a calf that is less than 90 days along. It cost $2.60 per cow to test for pregnancy with Biopryn and you can do it at 28 days bred. Just because they didn't show signs of heat doesn't mean that they are bred. It is my preference but I do wish you luck in getting everyone settled.

We test them all at 28 days with Biopryn, then again at 60 days.

************* said:
Redgully said:
We ultrasound at 60 days, get the sex of the calf too.

I definitely need to get an ultrasound machine!

It is good, some herds seperate all the cows into heifer/bull calves and run them in seperate fields for making handling easier after calving. I'm not quite at that level yet!

Had my first ever A.I calf today 273 days post A.I unfortunately it was dead

wbvs58 said:
Oh bummer, don't be discouraged.

Ken

It happens. I've been really lucky I've had cattle for 8 years only lost 3 calves 2 in 2015 to scours

I know that feeling, my very first was still born too. All that excitement crushed. Lucky i had three more soon after to cheer me up. It happens and you just have to put it behind you. I haven't lost one since.

Very cool. Sure is rewarding. I've had around 100 so far since Jan 10th, my first year of ai is looking to be a success. I saved back 18 heifers, they were 100% calved out in a 19 day period. Didn't pull or lose a single one. Couldn't be more happy about that. I have to pat myself on the back a little to keep my chin up, this mud we are dealing with is like nothing I've ever saw.

T & B farms said:
Very cool. Sure is rewarding. I've had around 100 so far since Jan 10th, my first year of ai is looking to be a success. I saved back 18 heifers, they were 100% calved out in a 19 day period. Didn't pull or lose a single one. Couldn't be more happy about that. I have to pat myself on the back a little to keep my chin up, this mud we are dealing with is like nothing I've ever saw.
i wish I had half that many to practice on I only tried 10 sold 2 of them so far I'm 2 for 8 I think I stuck 2 others

I know that I was really anxious for my first AI calf to hit the ground. I can only imagine how disappointed I would have been if my first one was born dead. hope things get better and thanks for the update.

Latest posts